Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler Post: 4-Pass Sierra Fall Run-Sat. Oct. 6th

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My shift linkage went out a second time on the way home (the bolt above the one I fixed the first time), but aside from burning my chin on the exhaust before deciding that it would be easier to fix with the car jacked up in the air it was an easy fix. I did finally get the mbc to work correctly in the last 10miles on my way home, so I'm finally driving at 18psi instead of 11. That is very nice.

Working on getting pics. With the two cameras going I have a lot.

Here are my pics of emigrants/highway 4. A couple showing how you couldn't see at all when driving into the sun (damn windshield washers not working! - the somewhat clean part of the window on the left side was from me reaching out the window with a wet rag as we were driving), the new views in the shade, and then the dust storm we were making. The last one is a picture of all the sand/dirt that is covering my entire engine bay and car (I had the windows rolled down). The engine bay was sparkling clean before today. And then a picture of the car - I'm really glad I didn't bother washing it before today.
Attached Images          

Last edited by billthe3; 10-07-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my passenger is still learning the art of in-car photography, but i think a few are good-

like this one a lot-

bit o' snow

gerry, rich, boostfeen, and deni (right?)

And God shined light upon his creation. and He saw that boost was good.

some of the scenery felt like something you'd see on discovery channel. funny it's only about 100 miles away from my nice, warm bed.

rock out

Gerry decided to hit the divider and the shoulder just to chuck rocks at the 951, i know it. he was jealous of my sound.

snoooooooooow

words fail-

i liked this one the most. just kinda random and i envisioned it and it came out pretty much exactly like i'd wanted to shoot it

great run guys. yeah, the slush was kinda ****ty, and that bajillion-car accident was scary, but i'd say it was a win and a good kick off to the parked-for-the-winter season.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I added yet another flat spot on my front tires on the way home as well. We didn't realize were heading into a town area on 4 and were going about 100 when a jeep decides to turn in front of me. Probably locked the fronts for a good hundred feet or so. I really need to rebleed those...
Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 AM
Dennis Burford
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

It was great meeting you all and thanks Steve for the invite. Great run, awesome scenery, super fun even though I cut out early. Had a blast both up and back on Mormon Emigrant Trail, fastest I've had my shark so far - holy c**p you guys drive fast!!! Looking forward to next time!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:07 AM
gersar928
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Sara and I would like to thank Kuhl 951 and the rest of the Rennlist 951/944/968 owners for letting a few sharks lurk at the back of the pack on your drive, hope we did not slow you down too much . Perhaps we can do it again sometime when we are not driving on slushees!

Sara & Gerry
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Damnit all. Of all the runs I've missed, I wish I didn't have to miss this one. I love snowy scenery, I love loooong drives, and most of all I have always wanted to see a turbo 968 - I want to do this conversion myself in the near future.

Looked like a good crowd and good times. Cheers to Steve for doing these every year.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I went out to wash all the cinder off the car and found 1 fog light cracked and the other one chipped badly. Looks like a good time to upgrade to Euro's.

I promise guys, I'll never again plan this run in the Sierras right after a snowfall. I already had moved it up 3 weeks since last time for the same reason.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

damn you, Global Climate Change!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Ya I got my car all washed up today and vacumed about 3 cups of gravel out of the engine compartment. After drying my car I jacked it up and removed the wheels, washed the undercarriage, wheels inside and out, and wheel wells. Upon further inspection my rear bumper cover, side rockers, and front bumper cover and spoiler are all coming off this week. They are so bad they look 10 years old already, I mean seriously 100's of rock chips and the lower spoiler in front only has half the paint left, in back of the rear weels all the paint is gone. Oh well its only $money$
Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Do you paint stuff yourself Shawn or take it to a shop? My front bumper is in a desperate need of a respray (it was needed before the run) so I'm somewhat thinking of getting it resprayed.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by boost feen
Ya I got my car all washed up today and vacumed about 3 cups of gravel out of the engine compartment. After drying my car I jacked it up and removed the wheels, washed the undercarriage, wheels inside and out, and wheel wells. Upon further inspection my rear bumper cover, side rockers, and front bumper cover and spoiler are all coming off this week. They are so bad they look 10 years old already, I mean seriously 100's of rock chips and the lower spoiler in front only has half the paint left, in back of the rear weels all the paint is gone. Oh well its only $money$
I'm sorry to hear that Shawn. I PM'ed Rich in the 928 and he said he came through unscathed by staying way back. Most of my damage was from oncoming trucks at Carson Spur, it sounded like I was in a hail storm for a few seconds there. Since my car is blackus communus I think I'll respray the front and rocker sections myself, metallics would be much more difficult. That cottage cheese stuff on the rockers really doesn't do anything for paint chips even though it's supposed to be more resilient than a flat panel. What fries me is I bought a brand new bra from a guy about a year ago and should have put it on but forgot I even had it.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Yes I will paint all my plastic bumpers and rocker panels myself. I have a body shop that mixes the paint up for me as it needs to match perfect. So Bill I suggest that you take your gas cap door off and find a very good body shop that can match that color and mix you up 1 pint. Thats plenty to do your bumper and have left over to use for touch up. You will need about $100 in other chemicals like the 2 part clearcoat and reducer. Or if your up to it in a few weeks when I get around to painting my stuff we could shoot a base coat of primer and color on yours then clear coat it with mine. It would be about an 8 hour day. Its kinda fun. And when you have the panels off the car its very easy you just have to follow a set of strict steps!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I'd be up for that. Would I have to get more paint to do the nose panel, mirrors, and hood? Can you get away with painting only a section of a piece or will the new paint be obvious? The only bad part of my hood is a couple of rock chips on the front edge. I suppose I could get a paint touch-up pen and then sand it down to match and redo clearcloat if that'd be easier.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Bill find a good body shop in your area or a automotive paint shop that has a good mixing guy. Just go in there and bring them a piece of your car to match a pint of color too. Then talk to them about what you are doing just dont buy anything other than the 1 pint of basecoat color that matches your paint. I have all the other chemicals and clearcoat. Then if you want to proceed in a couple weeks you can bring your car and or bumper cover over here. Painting the bumper cover off the car is the only way to really do it! We should also get the headlight covers and header panel off and paint them to match and blend to your old color! If you want your mirrors done we can tape them off on the car and just paint them without removing! So do some research on this stuff so that you get an idea of whats going on. Just dont buy anything other than basecoat color for a 2 stage paint job!

Quick Reply: Feeler Post: 4-Pass Sierra Fall Run-Sat. Oct. 6th