Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project: turbocharging 944 N/A the proper way

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:32 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Haltec can't do that itself?
No, but top shelf Motec M880 can't by itself either.

I think for someone like me that don't tune cars on daily basis, this system provides a great safety margin. Besides, it was made based on 951's KLR

ps: i hate this infinite scroll forum schythe, is there a way to turn this off?
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
i hate this infinite scroll forum schythe, is there a way to turn this off?

yes

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, did that several times and it's stil here.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Yeah, did that several times and it's stil here.
all the way bottom left corner of page there's a drop-down menu of styles, set to rennlist
Old 09-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a million, this new stuff is really frustrating.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what new stuff? its the same for me since always.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forum was downgraded to annoying as **** interface but atleast as V2 pointed me to, the infinite scroll tumor can be disabled with ''classic next gen'' setting in bottom left drop down menu. (rennlist option is gone too)

Other things like uploading pictures in chrome or chrome based browsers still doesn't work and there is no internet explorer on phones, phone always open mobile version which is useless etc.

IB rape. Don't fix what ain't broken.

V2 I owe you a beer or two.

In other news, I'm back from second vacations in a row, it was friggin awesome, I hope I get to retire and buy a house or atleast an apartment in Croatia in few decades.

Last edited by Voith; 09-11-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

No, but top shelf Motec M880 can't by itself either.

I think for someone like me that don't tune cars on daily basis, this system provides a great safety margin. Besides, it was made based on 951's KLR

ps: i hate this infinite scroll forum schythe, is there a way to turn this off?
Wierd, because EMU ECU can fix this problem.

http://ecumasterusa.com/downloads/emu-manual.pdf ( page 82 )

I would assume that Motec schould be able to do this.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

The knock dilema is way more complicated than it may seem at first glance. Based on talks with few people in the know, I bougt this and not haltech elite which also has knock sensing capability.

Same haltech platinum series of ecus as mine only PNP made for specific cars all have knock sensing and correction capablities because sound levels of knocking are known and professionaly measured and calibrated.

Ecu with knock detection that isn't calibrated to given engine is worth nothing or less than nothing because of false ''protection''.

Out of all the guessing knock detectors, J&S seems to be by far the best and it features headphone amplifier and jack.

Separate hardware unit is great too, since sometimes computers do funny stuff and if that happens, J&S is still watching over.

Win win as far as I'm concerned and well worth the cash IMO.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

The knock dilema is way more complicated than it may seem at first glance. Based on talks with few people in the know, I bougt this and not haltech elite which also has knock sensing capability.

Same haltech platinum series of ecus as mine only PNP made for specific cars all have knock sensing and correction capablities because sound levels of knocking are known and professionaly measured and calibrated.

Ecu with knock detection that isn't calibrated to given engine is worth nothing or less than nothing because of false ''protection''.

Out of all the guessing knock detectors, J&S seems to be by far the best and it features headphone amplifier and jack.

Separate hardware unit is great too, since sometimes computers do funny stuff and if that happens, J&S is still watching over.

Win win as far as I'm concerned and well worth the cash IMO.

Nothing is worth **** if it`s not programmed by someone that knows what and where.

Im not doing that, my engine guy is doing it.

But i also have 2 EGT, AFR, IAT and Boost protection.
So i think im safe.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its not the programming it's analyzing sound levels of knock in order to quantify what to look for.

If ecu is tuned professionaly this protection is not needed but I will tune it myself hence I appreciate headphone amplifier and magic of j&s.

What I really love about haltech platinum sport ecu is its ability to expand whatever needed by means of CAN network and its ability to run closed loop wbo2 sensor with sensor state monitoring just like oem ecus. Not sure which standalones can monitor sensor state but there are very few afaik.

I also absolutely love IQ3 logger dash's features like gps mapping and timing of roadcourses, seamless camera integration and it's CAN connection to ECU. I have integrated it in to 944 dash, it's not yet cosmetically finished but it looks quite good imo.

Last edited by Voith; 09-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ealoken
Wierd, because EMU ECU can fix this problem.

http://ecumasterusa.com/downloads/emu-manual.pdf ( page 82 )

I would assume that Motec schould be able to do this.
I've read page 82.

Emu listens for knock and if there is knock it does something predefined.

J&S retards knocking cylinder only, up to 20° while in haltech you can tune fuel for each cylinder individually so treshold of knock can be brought to edge for each individual cylinder.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/electr...ol-p-5834.html

Not only useful for protecting your engine it can be used to squeeze every bit of power from your engine. The Haltech system allows you to tune fuel to each individual cylinder and when paired with the J&S you can push the limits of tuning by adding fuel to the knocking cylinder or otherwise adjusting to avoid knock all the way to the very limit.

How it works: The system makes a spark, then decides if there was knock. If knock is detected, software "knows" it had to come from the cylinder that just fired, and that cylinder won't fire again for two revolutions. When that cylinder comes up to fire the next time, software dials in the calculated amount of knock retard. It does this as each cylinder goes by, building up a different timing curve for each cylinder if knock is detected. The unit retards in steps, a total of ten steps are possible. Each step is one or two degrees, depending on a user mode switch. When knock is detected, software retards in proportion to knock intensity. The unit responds to inaudible knock, and retards quickly enough to prevent knock from becoming audible. The re-advance rate is one step every twenty revolutions. Note that the unit will not advance beyond stock timing. Of course, you may choose to bump the timing a bit after installing the unit.

It's a common combo in all kinds of turbo porsches too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-update-7.html

Last edited by Voith; 09-11-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:10 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

I've read page 82.

Emu listens for knock and if there is knock it does something predefined.

J&S retards knocking cylinder only, up to 20° while in haltech you can tune fuel for each cylinder individually so treshold of knock can be brought to edge for each individual cylinder.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/electr...ol-p-5834.html
You can make it retard egnition, but not by default.

Both systems will work, and your system is moore bullet proof than mine.

BTW, the cranc was mint as you said 110% efforth in packing alto.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

In other news, I'm back from second vacations in a row, it was friggin awesome, I hope I get to retire and buy a house or atleast an apartment in Croatia in few decades.
need a roommate?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Emu sistem is definitely best bang for buck out there and I was looking in to it too but then scored haltech here so Haltech it is

I had this crank for my project when it used to be 2.5 so it better be good.

As for packing, I try to do it as it's supposed to be done. Few euros for packing material is not much compared to bad experience when stuff gets broken.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
need a roommate?

We'll see how I get there It's a few decades to go but right now if I had about 40-80k€ I'd buy an apartment here 44.722323, 14.897770 in a heartbeat. I'm sea person, love it there.

Last edited by Voith; 09-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: project: turbocharging 944 N/A the proper way