Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Brakes for Street Use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Correct Brakes for Street Use?

Experiencing a vibration over 15/20mph when breaking, I've seen multiple posts indicating this is an issue with worn rotors/pads. I've got the rotors figured out, I don't need anything fancy - the Zimmerman front/rears look good from Pelican.

My problem is brake pads. My head is literally swimming! Again, I don't need anything fancy. Are there brands I should stay away from? On the flip side, are there brands I should gravitate towards?

What are you guys using on your cars? This thing is my DD, so keep that in mind (kinda hard to get the rotors turned if I have to go to work the next day).

I'm going to add stainless lines to the "while you're in there" list.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For a DD street car, get PBR Metal Masters. Low dust, cheap, and grip well.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darren we can knock those out in an afternoon no problem. Pads are easy... doing rotors will take a bit longer. If you buy the cheaper rotors with the non-painted hats, before we change em out be sure to paint them or they will look like crap later.

You could also go for a Hawk pad... I run HPS on my Audi, and HP+ currently on the 44. Lots of folks seem to like those PBR's though. I run those Zimmerman's on the track car with no problems.

I got a set of Paragon's stainless lines and they are DOT approved and clear coated for extra protection.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

metal masters all day- had them on my n/a and worked great for street- pretty good for the track although after a two day event they need replaced- work great and last awhile on the street though.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Uh-oh, sounds like you just volunteered yourself.

I've not seen ones with painted hats (that aren't cross-drilled, etc). What'd you use to paint yours?

PorscheDoc, thanks for the rec. on the Metal Masters. I'll have to take a look.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/pbr_d256m.htm

These are the only ones that seem to be the right ones for an early NA...can anyone confirm (it doesn't show 944 83-89 like the rears do).
Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

If you buy the porsche oem ones, they are the zimmermans but the rotor hats are painted grey to keep them from rusting (at least the late ones). The zimmerman's can be bought without this paint for cheaper. I used high temp gloss black engine paint and it has held up great. It's a pretty simple job and will keep them much nicer looking.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Gotcha. Where'd you grab the paint, the FLAPS? I've got some of the pricing figured out, base on all of y'alls handy information. Figure a good time to do this job will be before I throw the winter tires on the car in a few months.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I bought the cheap (25 bucks) Mintex red pads from zims and I also got my rotors from zims also which wasn't too expensive. I think they were brembo or zimmerman.

the mintex red pads seems to work fine but I'm sure there are better pads out there with better stopping power but these work fine for my everydayd driving.

I think the mintex are organic pads so they are easier on the rotors than metalic/ ceramic pads.

Quick Reply: Correct Brakes for Street Use?