Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

422ci STS Camaro, wanted a piece of my 944!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Nobody ever mentions the cost involved or goes into detail. I would like to know total cost, time involvement and down time, did you wrench, total parts inventory, etc etc.

It would be of great help in threads like this. finished product is great but lay the road for others.

thanks
+1 I understand talking money is a little tacky but, there are those of us really considering a swap and would like to know real dollers and "sense". I've been back and forth with my car at this point anything is possible. If I could have a ls2 motor for 10k installed I think i'd prolly do it. 20k on the other hand(which is what I hear most of these finished cars ended up costing) is a little outta my range.
I never come to this section much but, jesus this car is siiick.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:11 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you wrench it yourself and do some parts shopping you can definately do it for $10k or under namely if you already have a nice car to start. if you pay someone to wrench on it you are going to get raped.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Hotshoe
Instructor

I've been researching this alot lately because I plan on doing it. To have someone local do it runs 10k just for the install. You have to supply the motor and any other goodies. The Rengade DIY kit is $2,100. You then have to find your own motor, etc. Cost can really creep when you start to upgrade the trans, brakes, cooling, suspension. It would be cheaper to start with a straight 951 but I already have the NA 944.

I'm still trying to figure out just how hard a job it is. Evryone I've talked to said it's primarily a bolt in job. 7/10 difficulty.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
if you wrench it yourself and do some parts shopping you can definately do it for $10k or under namely if you already have a nice car to start. if you pay someone to wrench on it you are going to get raped.
I'd want a shop to do everything. Im a "turn-key" performance oriented kind of guy.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
Are you comparing them to Rennlist? or other forums in General?

-Darwin
(ok, a little late w/ response, but kinda lost track of this thread)

Most "other" boards w/ performance cars. The Dodge guys, Vette/Camaro guys, and MUSTANG guys by the dozens. Try cruising through a SVT site... omg, they trash every kind of car ever made. The real funny thing is, most of them have mods and compare to stock xxx brand cars. The s/c mustangs can get another 50 rwhp (or more if you dare) for $30 by changing the pulley wheel on the s/c. Very common mod for those guys.

DVC - Thanks. Color is w/e they had at Earl Schieb LOL. It's pretty close to the Ocean Blue though. The wheels are 2003 Boxster S wheels (of which I need one front one as mine is a little bent). I'm going to drive it into the ground and when the motor (belts) give up... she's my donor for a LS2/6 motor swap.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Hey Porshhhh951,
You may want to reconsider. Having a shop do it is tricky. They may cut corners because they dont know anything about Porsche cars OR they know nothing about Chevy engines. Haha. Its a rare thing to find a wrench that knows both equal enough to do this kinda work.

I think the biggest reason to do atleast most the work yourself is to become acquainted with the set-up so that if ever need be, you can fix the car yourself on the fly. Oh yeah....and personal satisfaction. Mind you its not as hard to work on a V8 than it is a 944 engine, but you want to be able to say "I know what I initialy did with this during the conversion so maybe if I do this differently now..." rather than "F*&%, those F*&^($#! did this? I have no idea what the where who what!".....have to go back to that shop and $$$$. Hahaha.

Once I gathered all the required swap parts, I started on a friday, finished sunday night and drove it to an exhaust house at around midnight. Next day, I picked it up and had my first real drive in it....ahhh.

Plus, the porschehybrids.com guys'll have your back during the whole process. I didnt. When I did it, there was no board or forums of any kind to help. So, I paid the full premium for parts, made the common mistakes, and had to redo alot of the things later-on. Technology is great aint it.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd157k
(ok, a little late w/ response, but kinda lost track of this thread)

Most "other" boards w/ performance cars. The Dodge guys, Vette/Camaro guys, and MUSTANG guys by the dozens. Try cruising through a SVT site... omg, they trash every kind of car ever made. The real funny thing is, most of them have mods and compare to stock xxx brand cars. The s/c mustangs can get another 50 rwhp (or more if you dare) for $30 by changing the pulley wheel on the s/c. Very common mod for those guys.

DVC - Thanks. Color is w/e they had at Earl Schieb LOL. It's pretty close to the Ocean Blue though. The wheels are 2003 Boxster S wheels (of which I need one front one as mine is a little bent). I'm going to drive it into the ground and when the motor (belts) give up... she's my donor for a LS2/6 motor swap.
basically, but there is a ton of other makes' owners on the svt site that go there to start crap because they know how well the 03-04 cobra takes to mods. mine is pullied and ported with stock eaton.
lookign on this site, most peopel are elitists for german cars or basically anythign not american. the benefit of the 350 swap, and the reason i prefer american cars is becuase less down time between repairs and easier to work on.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
Hey Porshhhh951,
You may want to reconsider. Having a shop do it is tricky. They may cut corners because they dont know anything about Porsche cars OR they know nothing about Chevy engines. Haha. Its a rare thing to find a wrench that knows both equal enough to do this kinda work.

I think the biggest reason to do atleast most the work yourself is to become acquainted with the set-up so that if ever need be, you can fix the car yourself on the fly. Oh yeah....and personal satisfaction. Mind you its not as hard to work on a V8 than it is a 944 engine, but you want to be able to say "I know what I initialy did with this during the conversion so maybe if I do this differently now..." rather than "F*&%, those F*&^($#! did this? I have no idea what the where who what!".....have to go back to that shop and $$$$. Hahaha.

Once I gathered all the required swap parts, I started on a friday, finished sunday night and drove it to an exhaust house at around midnight. Next day, I picked it up and had my first real drive in it....ahhh.

Plus, the porschehybrids.com guys'll have your back during the whole process. I didnt. When I did it, there was no board or forums of any kind to help. So, I paid the full premium for parts, made the common mistakes, and had to redo alot of the things later-on. Technology is great aint it.
Sorry I dont have the time/nor energy nor desire to do the swap myself. If german performance has done so many of these cars why is it so bad to have them do it?

Are there some negitive things I need to be made aware of? Pm me if you don't feel comfortable discussing in public forum.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

The mechnaic that does my 944's also is well versed in LSx motors. He's done work on my vette too. He also has a 7 sec (or so) bug.
http://www.lowbugget.com/Eric_Calabrese.html
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Whats the MPG like on a ls 944?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Most vettes avg around 30. I'm sure, when you cut out 600 (ish) pounds, it can only get better.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 PM
RMills944
Drifting

30? what kind of vette are you looking at? LS2 vettes get about 15-25, LS1 about 17-26...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:32 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
Most get lower 20's around town with normal driving. I do have a friend however than can get nearly 30mpg on the hwy in his 03' zo6
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RMills944
30? what kind of vette are you looking at? LS2 vettes get about 15-25, LS1 about 17-26...
Bahahahahahaha!!!!

I only need to "look" down a little.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
I'm getting 22MPG with the 6.0L and stock turbo gears. That's about 60% city and 40% highway. I think with a tall 6th gear like the Vettes and Goats have, it would be better. But based upon the performance I'm very pleased with that.

Quick Reply: 422ci STS Camaro, wanted a piece of my 944!