Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: Rear seat delete, sound dampeing plus subbox install (56k Die)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to: Rear seat delete (DONE), sound dampeing (DONE) plus subbox install (56k Die)

Hello all.
A few of us are considering have seen a thread similar to this but I'm going to try and make it simple for everyone. Hopefully this will make it into the DIY section and my name will live on in history.

Beginning of Part 2 : 5/6/07 Prefitting the tire wheel box : Page 3

Working on amp rack, 1/2 of Package Tray 5/9/07 The rear seat has other uses : Page 4 post #56

Started on front of package tray 5/15/07 Page 6

Speaker install, radio test, tray front test fit: Page 7

Moving on... I just got my car out of the shop so before I turn her into a DD I need to mold her into the kinda girl I like.

I began by rripping out the rear seats, Piece of cake. I just needed a wrench to take out the belts.

I saw a post and the guys were talking about some highly toxic adhesive remover. I'm not really interested in becoming an mid-twenties mutant ninja turtle so I just went to my local Home Depot and got a charcoal mask and some goof-off spray.

I applied liberally, waited, then scraped and sanded away. (midway thru pic)

Whilst I waited for my genrous soakings of goof off to take effect I decided to insulate my soon to be sub box (ie tire well). I got 2 cans of rubberized undrecoating taped off the holes and went to work.

why the waterhose is across my car...i have no idea. hahah

I needed sound and heat dampeing material but didnt feel like waiting or mail order stuff so I payed lowes a visit for this and some 3M level 45 adhesive spray.

25' for $18. Not too shabby. oh and FYI guys this is the same stuff that those cool reflective sunvisors are made of.

I then cut it into strips and had a buddy assist in its placement.

TIs pretty easy...Spray, lay, spray, lay, repeat as necessary.

Since I'm still a bit immobile due to all of my car accidents i let him get inside while i worked on the hatch area.

Test fit

Same game applies, Spray, lay, spray, lay, repeat as necessary.

All done! Yay

I cant say much for heat but it is definitaley less road noise coming from the back and its also kinda cool. I like the thought of having a 2 seater. Even thought well all know that 944 is technically a 2 seater anyway. I have a hardenough time fitting a dvd case back there let alone a passenger.

Part 2 will follow soon...

Last edited by Royalty; 07-09-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 AM
PixelGrinder
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up! im sure a lot of people appreciate it, including myself!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting. Is the reflectix stuff safe to use inside the car? the price is damn good but is it even a sound insulator or is it just for heat?

I should get some adhesive remover also, I have stripped my entire interior (killing mold/ cleaning the interior) and I used wd40 to get some of the glue off but there is still a ton of glue left and I was going to just leave it like that but it might affect the new sound insulation being glued in.

that reflectix stuff looks really interesting though...... I might need some more sound insualation so I might also try the reflectix.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Royalty
Banned

Thanks I'm glad I can help.

the reflectix stuff can be found Here

Reflectix® is a 5/16" thick, seven layer, reflective insulation
Two outer layers of aluminum foil reflect 97% of radiant heat. Each layer of foil is bonded to a tough layer of polyethylene for strength.
Two inner layers of insulating bubble pack resist conductive heat flow while a center layer of polyethylene gives Reflectix® high reliability and strength.
Reflectix® reflects the sun's rays in the hot summer months. It also retains interior heat and helps to eliminate potentially damaging ice dams during the winter months.
It says its primarily for heat but looking at the packaging looks liek it would assisit in sound dampening. I didnt even have my carpet in past night and I noticed it was "less lowd" than it usually is.

I'm pretty sure there are better ones on the market but this works for me and ill be damned if i get raped for 25' of dynamat.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
mark_uss
Racer

Default got some ideeas..for my free time thx

that i have to do..is a good ideea..thanks man
Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

There is some sound deadening material on ebay, going by the name of Fatmat. $60 for 50 square feet of the stuff, comes with the roller and degreaser, it would be more effective to use, but i am just pointing out that there is a specific product for automotive interior sound and heat insulation.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool!

i'm looking into this as a project for one of these weekends.

looking forward to part 2.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Uhh Royalty? That insulation is LIGHT I hope...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I could care less about sound/thermal insulation - what I need to find is a source of easily formable carpet that is a decent match of my black/tan interior.........
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Daniel, I went to an upholstery outlet for my carpet when I did my rear seat delete. Try there!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
I could care less about sound/thermal insulation - what I need to find is a source of easily formable carpet that is a decent match of my black/tan interior.........
I second that one. The only thing keeping me from dropping the rear seat is having to leave the floor pan exposed. My only thought right now is to make a flat piece to cover it and then run the carpet over, but I don't think it would look as nice as having the floorpan carpetted.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Royalty AWSOME job i am about to do that. What is part 2? Are going to put carpet down???
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I looked up refectix on google and it's basicly bubble wrap with shiny foil on both sides, so it won't be a very good sound deadner but good for keeping heat out.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
There is some sound deadening material on ebay, going by the name of Fatmat. $60 for 50 square feet of the stuff, comes with the roller and degreaser, it would be more effective to use, but i am just pointing out that there is a specific product for automotive interior sound and heat insulation.
Oh yea I definitaley agree there is a better product available. I'm in college so I have to get whats best in my range. I just hope that someone can use this as a guide for whatever product they use

Originally Posted by 95Juan
Very cool!

i'm looking into this as a project for one of these weekends.

looking forward to part 2.
Took my last exam tonight so work was at a standstill. It will resume tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Mongo
Uhh Royalty? That insulation is LIGHT I hope...
Light doesnt even begin to describe this stuff. For fun i walked through lowes drop kicking the roll and catching it. When i got home i punted it and it went a half a mile. Yea its that light. Ill even go so far as to say uber light.

Originally Posted by reno808
Royalty AWSOME job i am about to do that. What is part 2? Are going to put carpet down???
Im sourcing the carpet now so I part deux will be the sub box construction then followed by package tray construction.

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I looked up refectix on google and it's basicly bubble wrap with shiny foil on both sides, so it won't be a very good sound deadner but good for keeping heat out.
True, see post #4, thats the description from the lowes website. It does a decent job though.
Fortunatly I have a buttload left (see pic) so i think I'll put another layer on top , if one was good, two has GOT to be better.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
hpservertech
Pro

I wouldn't cover up the area where the fuel pump is. Keep that area without anything. There should of been a piece of material over it already.

Quick Reply: How to: Rear seat delete, sound dampeing plus subbox install (56k Die)