Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"FS: 968 Rear Bridge Spoiler", Rennlister screw job

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:30 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I should just keep my mouth shut but, after seeing this thread continue on for this long, it is beyond my control. Since it is public, you must want the public's opinion?

Just send it back for a refund or accept the part as is. It seems that you have had those two choices from the beginning of this thread and they are still your only two options. You can post 6 more pages but the spoiler is still going to have dings in the gel coat and you will still be left with the two options above. Yes it sucks to expect one thing and get another but if you think you were intentionally defrauded, return the part for a refund. If you think you were intentionally defrauded but the price you paid plus the price to repair seems reasonable, because of the rarity of the part, keep it.

I am sorry about this but it is just the obvious. I am not siding with anyone here and I think you are both great Rennlisters. I hope you can work it out.
Old 04-26-2007 | 03:32 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin.

Bring it to Phoenix (don't ship it please). I can fix it.
Old 04-26-2007 | 03:45 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Default My latest experience with UPS...

Fortunately the contents of this box was a stuffed Bear from Vermont...but it was obvious these cretans crushed the box in a very short trip from Vermont to New Hampshire!!

-Steve
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2007 | 03:54 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 04-26-2007 | 03:57 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Wow, I just found this thread and seeing the pictures of the damaged 968 spoiler is depressing. I can only imagine your dissapointment and anger upon opening the box. If you decide you can't return it for a refund, I know of a body shop that could probably repair and paint it for a reasonable price. Secondly, I recently found someone selling new ones (unpainted) for 300 here in LA.

Give me a call later Kevin if I can help.
Old 04-26-2007 | 03:59 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Yea Travis, as I posted, this is the closest I've been to getting the hatch built, so she's a keeper. I can only guess what happens if UPS is given the change to determine the outcome

Jeremy, if I had known of this during Spring Training, it would be a no brainer. I have rattle cans of colormatched PPG standing by, I just have to figure out the correct material to build the tip.
Old 04-26-2007 | 04:02 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

PHP Code:
Give me a call later Kevin if I can help

After Sunday I should have a solid plan of action.
Old 04-26-2007 | 04:23 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Sorry for what your going through Kevin. Personally I feel really bad for that hatch.
Old 04-26-2007 | 05:02 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
Agree, UPS is reliable but it will destroy your item, Fedex is the opposite they will take great care of your item but it might never arrive.
IMO they are equally as bad. I recall ordering some critical screws for the plant here out of Germany. When they arrived just in time the FedEx man brought us a box with no contents and a whole in one corner. Luckily I had sent a second with UPS and it made it in one piece.

FedEx denied any responsibility. They all do.

Ok we are way OT here. Anybody ever heard of General Average in the shipping industry? That is when the ship you are moving freight on gets damaged and you as a consigner of the vessel must share in the repair costs before recovering your freight. It is meratime law.
Old 04-26-2007 | 06:59 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I haven't personally seen this part but supposedly it is OEM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-26-2007 | 07:10 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Crap, looks like he bought up a NOS warehouse somewhere!
Old 04-26-2007 | 08:03 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that's Dave Buhain's outfit. He's always at the local (to So. Cal) Pomona Swap Meet and at events like Speedfest, Ventura's German Autofest, ect. He's got a parts collection to trump Lart. He tends to buy "lots" from going out of business sales and auctions.

Kev, Dude, I'm sorry about your parts transaction. Proud of you making lemonade with it.

Re: UPS my mom worked for UPS for 23 years as a damaged packages clerk. I ship ALL my stuff Fed Ex ground

'nuf said.
Old 04-26-2007 | 08:21 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thanks Matt, still have some parts you may be interested in..
Old 04-26-2007 | 09:04 PM
Catzilla
1st Gear

I'm fairly new here, but this caught my attention. While I don't claim to be Sherlock Holmes, I'm surprised that no one else caught this: Kevin, the pics you have posted show an interesting point: while the foam cups that were used to insulate the ends during shipping show no wear or abradement, the spoiler's ends look like they were dragged across a parking lot.
(And I also don't claim to be Nostradamus, but I predict Kevin will suddenly post pics of the foam cups complete with scratches).
Also, if you felt the packaging was less than adequate, why did you wait 4 months to inspect it? My brother in law works for UPS and they are supposed to visually inspect all packages before accepting them for shipping, since they are liable. If they felt the packaging was inadequate, they wouldn't have accepted it.
I guess what I don't understand is how you can possibly expect someone to not only refund your money, but you get to keep the item as well as expect them to pay for repairs. Do you want fries with that order too?
Something smells a little fishy (and it ain't Paris Hilton)....

Cat
'72 Beetle
'74 914
Old 04-26-2007 | 09:27 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Good point Cat, only the pass side foam cup showed a small abradement, but there was NO spoiler material inside the cup.

Yes, I love fries with a good burger!

Welcome aboard Cat! Renn is THE place to find your tech answers, there are thousands of years of knowledge of here, just don't but a Turbo.

Quick Reply: "FS: 968 Rear Bridge Spoiler", Rennlister screw job