Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down shifting from 5th to 4th

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default Down shifting from 5th to 4th

I am selling my 944S2 and the buyer has found when down shifting from 5th to 4th it binds. I found when shifting from 5th to 4th that if I pull the lever over to just under 3rd and then down it glides in without issue. It also shifts through all the gears fine from 1st-5th and 4th to 1st. The only time it snags is if you pull straight down instead of over and down from 5th to 4th. There is no grinding or issues that appear to be tranny related. I am thinking it is the reverse lock out getting snagged when down shifting.

The buyer claims it needs a $2k repair which is BS. The tranny has a new clutch and we are talking about a 100k mile car although very clean and nearly mechanically perfect.

I had been told by some 944 owners that they will do this depending on the car. Is this true and can it be easily repaired? I also had 2 top Porsche guys check it out within the past year and neither felt it was an issue.

Any advice?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Straight back from 5 is R. lol...it probably is catching on the lockout. Have him pull it at an angle, a line from the top of 5 to the bottom of 4 and see what happens.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Straight back from 5 is R. lol...it probably is catching on the lockout. Have him pull it at an angle, a line from the top of 5 to the bottom of 4 and see what happens.
That is what I said. When I shift and pull it over on an angle no issue, when pulled down it snags.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I found when shifting from 5th to 4th that if I pull the lever over to just under 3rd and then down it glides in without issue.
... The only time it snags is if you pull straight down instead of over and down from 5th to 4th.
Any advice?
Yep... pull straight back from 5th and hit reverse. Sounds pretty normal to me. You need to move it a bit to hit 4th. No big deal if you know how change gears properly. As for this guy...

Is the car sold... If so say tough luck.

If the car is not sold... tough luck. You may not have a buyer.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

EDIT (Add): assuming it isnt operator error - if the guy doesnt know how to shift out of 5th and select 4th...... and there is actually a mechanical problem:

$2k will get you a complete trans rebuild.

I am not aware of this being a common problem for 944s.

Does it bind when shifting when the car is not running? Will it do it, when running the shifter through the gears, when the car is sitting in your driveway? If so, start with checking the entire shifter linkage, from the shifter back to the linkage on top of the trans. Could be something binding externally. Have someone run it through the gears, while youre looking at the linkage from below - see if its hitting anything, or if anything is loose.

If it only does it when the car is moving, then its more likely an internal problem. Could something with the reverse selector on the 5th-R fork, getting hung up. But with the car moving, and everything spinning inside the trans, I would expect some grinding or other "bad" noise if this was occuring.

Also could be something with the selector fork lockouts - there are detents that lock the other 2 forks in place, when selecting gears (so it cant select more than one gear set at a time). If debris gets into the detent bores, its possible for one to be getting hung up, and causing difficulty moving from one fork to another (from 1/2 to 3/4 or to 5/R) - this would likely also be noticeable when the car is not moving.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Yep... pull straight back from 5th and hit reverse. Sounds pretty normal to me. You need to move it a bit to hit 4th. No big deal if you know how change gears properly. As for this guy...

Is the car sold... If so say tough luck.

If the car is not sold... tough luck. You may not have a buyer.

Car is sold!!!!

A local PCA member i will see often. He claims he knows how to drive and it shouldn't do that.

I know it is a non issue just try too hard to make people happy sometimes.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
EDIT (Add): assuming it isnt operator error - if the guy doesnt know how to shift out of 5th and select 4th...... and there is actually a mechanical problem:

$2k will get you a complete trans rebuild.

I am not aware of this being a common problem for 944s.

Does it bind when shifting when the car is not running? Will it do it, when running the shifter through the gears, when the car is sitting in your driveway? If so, start with checking the entire shifter linkage, from the shifter back to the linkage on top of the trans. Could be something binding externally. Have someone run it through the gears, while youre looking at the linkage from below - see if its hitting anything, or if anything is loose.

If it only does it when the car is moving, then its more likely an internal problem. Could something with the reverse selector on the 5th-R fork, getting hung up. But with the car moving, and everything spinning inside the trans, I would expect some grinding or other "bad" noise if this was occuring.

Also could be something with the selector fork lockouts - there are detents that lock the other 2 forks in place, when selecting gears (so it cant select more than one gear set at a time). If debris gets into the detent bores, its possible for one to be getting hung up, and causing difficulty moving from one fork to another (from 1/2 to 3/4 or to 5/R) - this would likely also be noticeable when the car is not moving.

I found when I pull the shifter over slightly to the left and down it worked perfectly. I am not sure but I believe it did the same thing while sitting with engine off.

If there is a problem like you mention is this an expensive repair?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say the buyer is being unreasonable. First of all, I fail to see an issue. It shifts fine, you just have to get used to how the shift lever moves...big deal. Second of all, he bought a used car, from an individual, without any warranty. It's HIS car, if he doesn't like the way it shifts, he should pay for the "repair". I don't understand people sometimes...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780
I say the buyer is being unreasonable. First of all, I fail to see an issue. It shifts fine, you just have to get used to how the shift lever moves...big deal. Second of all, he bought a used car, from an individual, without any warranty. It's HIS car, if he doesn't like the way it shifts, he should pay for the "repair". I don't understand people sometimes...

Couldn't agree more.

Lesson learned, never sell a car to someone in your own club. He is being thoroughly unreasonable.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet swapping out the tranny fluid may help smooth out the downshift.

-Z
Old 02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I found when I pull the shifter over slightly to the left and down it worked perfectly. I am not sure but I believe it did the same thing while sitting with engine off.

If there is a problem like you mention is this an expensive repair?

Anthony,

It could be anything from a free - do it yourself, tightening a bolt on the shift linkage, to replacing some of the $15 bushings in the linkage, to having to open up the trans and trouble shooting an internal problem (again, assuming that there is some issue to begin with...). If you do have to go inside, the cost of removing and reinstalling the trans, plus opening up the gear carrier is probably a minimum of $500 at a reputable p-car shop. Any additional trouble shooting and parts would be on top of that. I would estimate another $500 (so $1000 total), should cover just about anything that would be wrong with it.

Sorry, I cant say for certain what the problem is, or how much it would necessarily cost to repair.

I dont want comment on whether you or the new buyer are financially responsible for any repair work (more of an ethical issue, I will try to just stick with the technical aspects).
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Your right, those issues are between the buyer and myself. I sold the car at a very reasonable price IMO As Is no warranty. If you removed all the extras, the car was a steal.

Needless to say all fluids are fresh and I have no issues shifting it. Although not like shifting my G50 tranny it is very reminiscent of shifting a 915 or 901 tranny.

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Anthony,

It could be anything from a free - do it yourself, tightening a bolt on the shift linkage, to replacing some of the $15 bushings in the linkage, to having to open up the trans and trouble shooting an internal problem (again, assuming that there is some issue to begin with...). If you do have to go inside, the cost of removing and reinstalling the trans, plus opening up the gear carrier is probably a minimum of $500 at a reputable p-car shop. Any additional trouble shooting and parts would be on top of that. I would estimate another $500 (so $1000 total), should cover just about anything that would be wrong with it.

Sorry, I cant say for certain what the problem is, or how much it would necessarily cost to repair.

I dont want comment on whether you or the new buyer are financially responsible for any repair work (more of an ethical issue, I will try to just stick with the technical aspects).
Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Tell him to shift like the car has a gated shifter a-la ferrari.

reminds me of when i got my first RX7 back in 84. I had the RX7 my dad had a datsun 310. reverse on the 310 was where first is on the RX7/944. First was where second is, and fifth where reverse is.

i went to a client in danbury ct and for lunch decided to take my new toy for a quick spin. Having driven the 310 for a year or so before this car i shifted, shifted, shifted, and then at about 70 decided to see what overdrive is. I pulled the shifter straight back, heard a crunch and realized the car has only five speeds. from then on, i would put it in fifth and pull my hand back without anything in it so i didnt do that bonehead move again for another 20 years till i got the Z28 and GTO with six speeds. Had to keep reminding myself when I got back into the 944 that it has a mere five speeds.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

may need the linkage adjusted alittle but thats not 2k.

Quick Reply: Down shifting from 5th to 4th