Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a cupholder market??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Shabba
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course there is always the option that we use nature's cupholder : the crotch. Sure it might cause a little shrinkage and we might need to wipe the moisture off the seat, but 9 times out of 10, a 20 oz. bottle fits there nice and snug (the one time out of ten would be those chaps with a little extra in the pants or ladies who are...erm...not ladies). Keep the lid on tight and there is no chance of dousing your clean interior with any liquid.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

And what if it's a scaldingly hot double-tall mocha latte?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

The reason for not adding to the map pocket- well, that would stick out a bit & you'd always have to look at it- would be nice to have a fully re-designed armrest w/real door handle, though, to pull the door shut with, as opposed to having to use the "oh sh*t" handle, since it's so far foward, but then, I'm sure I'm asking too much now... As for cup holders, the glove box already had them in pre-air bag cars. At least the 86 cars did, only they were a bit shallow. Anyway, you shut the glovebox & it's out of sight. Not to mention that map pocket holders would require one on each side of the car, assuming you wanted a passenger to be able to have one too. I don't know- it might be kind of cool, if designed right, but I think it would be a lot tougher to do, especially since the glovebox back was already done that way from the factory for at least one year...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mamooguy
And what if it's a scaldingly hot double-tall mocha latte?
Just ask the Golden Arches...

Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny.. I'm able to hold a Venti Triple shot -wet on the seat while driving. Perhaps it's just years of experience.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

I have an early '85 and if you look at the back of my glovebox door there is nothing but ribbing. These are maybe 1/4" tall and 3/4" wide.

I'd love a cupholder that can be stowed away; right now I either jam my bottle between the door, my hip and the seat or try to rest it on the torque-tube side of the passenger seat. For cups with lids I jam them between the back seat and passenger back.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, maybe this idea won't take it but we need good ideas to keep these old cars running...Bruce
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

what about plastic cupholders that attached to the screws at the back of the passenger seat. if the cupholders sat at about a 45degree angle then when the seat is folded up it would be in a pretty good place. this would obviously only work if there wasnt a passenger, but who needs a plastic cupholder when there's one sitting in your passenger seat?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

V2- ribbing only...? Do you have a pic...? It almost sounds like the bottom of the backside, but in 86, they put a plastic backing on it, that had really shallow cup holders- in 87, w/the much-hated airbags, they put an ugly-*** airbag warning label on it. So I guess this confirms that it was only one year that had the little plastic backing...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

V2- I'd never seen one of those before- much different- still appears to be some sort of backing panel though, so maybe the back panel from a later car would be interchangeable...?

Ok, just in case you don't know, or if it helps to bring anyone else up to speed, here's the whole story.....

These cars all have a panel on the backside of the door- your's appears to be the same way- you can unscrew this panel & get to the bare backside of the door. In 1986, the panel was plastic & had two small cupholders molded into it, almost perfectly shaped for standard 12oz cans & slightly larger bottles. In 1987, Porsche became the 1st to offer standard driver & passenger airbags in both the 944 & 928. For some reason, instead of leaving the little cup holders they turned the panel into a big, flat, metal, ugly looking airbag warning label. I decided that I'd much rather have the cupholders. The obvious, simple solution was to replace w/the cupholder back from an '86.

The cup holder backs are really shallow- maybe 1/8" deep at most- they're really only reliable for holding drinks while sitting in parking lots & such- not so much for actual driving. But, I still thought it was quite a step up. There are ~20 screws all around the outer edges, as if Porsche thought it would escape or something- most of the screws lined up & the panel was on just right, but unfortunately, the door would not close- the inset design was ~1/16" too wide on each side to close into the glovebox. I've taken measurements- Porsche changed the gloveboxes ever-so-slightly- just enough to screw up my plans. AAMOFF, I'm sure that was the goal in Weissach 20+yrs ago...

So, I started looking for someone to try to modify something for me. Picklejuice here, came along one day, posting some pics of his S2 cab & the speaker pods he had just made to mount 6x8 or 6x9's in the rear of his car & they looked really good. I asked him if he might help me w/this- we had hoped this would get a bit more interest, though, & since it did not, that in combination w/his school schedule, has delayed it for some time. But hopefully I'll have it soon, as I've got a newly recovered dash on the way, to wrap up my refinished interior. He recently sold his 944S2, so I'm not sure how much more of this he will do. I've stayed in contact w/him & will ask if he wants to do any more of these, if you're interested...?

BTW- the arms that hold the glovebox door up & keep it from flapping down to the floor- are your's molded to the panel or are there little slots that they go into & then anchor from the underside...? The left one appears to be molded, but the right one looks sort of like it could go either way... The '86 & up are all made of plastic & they slide into a slot (much like the opposite end of your's do). It doesn't matter too much, but the arms are notorious for breaking. When mine finally went, I ordered Paragon's steel replacements. I'd rather have aluminum, & the steel ones were rather pricey, but still, they'll definately withstand the wear & tear & I'd definately recommend them as replacements, especially for those planning to add the weight of drinks to them.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Porsche's are made to drive in not drink in....
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by picklejuice52
I've been working on making cupholders for a friend of mine's 944. Basically the design is taken from the back of the glovebox plastic. I then form the plastic so that the cup holders are about .5 in deeper, and then i put a small .5in ridge type rail around the top perimeter. This allows a drink to have a good 1-1.1in depth in the existing glovebox door. I will post pictures soon of what i mean. My question is, is there a market for these? If i were to maybe produce them on a larger scale with a mold and injected plastic, would any of you guys be interested in them? It would essentially be a brand new door backing (with the cupholders), sent to your door. I wouldn't have to take your existing glovebox backing and modify it, just send you a new one, you take your old on off, put the new one on. You could then proceed to use your glovebox door as normal, when your done with drinks, close it up. Thats my idea atleast! So, would anyone be interested in this production? It would be between 40$-50$ per door mainly because i don't have any fancy tools, just regular ones lol. Feel free to make any suggestions, what should i change, is it even a good idea? price reasonable? Thanks to all!!, especially Robby for the inspiration.
Here's a suggestion:

Before soliciting the group here with your business proposal, sign up for Rennlist Membership.

Then, when you're ready to sell 'em - sign up as a Sponsor.

Quick Reply: Is there a cupholder market??