Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a cupholder market??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 AM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Glad someone found it amusing.
My wife can testify to that! First thing she said when getting into my car in Ireland was " Where's the cup holder !! " I told her we Europeans dont use our cars as mobile restaurants like most of you americans do !
Old 01-31-2007, 05:06 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, Nick, Nick- NEVER, EVER use MY name on one of these threads!!! EVERYONE here already knows I'm crazy!!! I'M the one who made pedal spacers (& steering wheel spacer) so I could sit further back in the car... THAT thread got a lot of input. Funny though, I've seen many people bitch about being too far foward in their cars, yet only a few have inquired about my successful modification...

Anyway, as for the glovebox door cup holder- remember guys- it was already there, bone-stock in 1986. But, many here have 1987 & up- airbags. And as Nick already said- it gets rid of the ugly-*** airbag warning label & I know others hate that too... It's true that factory checks will not support much weight- actually, many were not able to support the weight of the door alone. And I've never heard of anyone replacing them w/stock ones. Most go to steel ones.

The prob w/other cup holders, IMO, is is that they look ugly &/or are in the way. The nicest looking one, IMO, is the one that replaces the armrest, but then, well, YOU LOSE YOUR ARMREST!!!

On to concerns- the height issue- well, as Nick said, if you frequently drink Big Gulps, then this idea will NOT work for you. But, if you drink smaller, can-sized dinks, then I think this is cool. OF course, yes, I'm slightly biased...

The depth issue- honestly, I can understand someone being concerned, but don't be. FYI- I have personally driven w/Dr Pepper cans sitting in the top of the CLOSED ashtray lid!!! Picture it- in the tiny squared indentation FFS! Sure, if I make an abrubt move of any kind, I grab the can, else I'll be wearing Dr Pepper, but in all honesty, 1/2" of holder should be sufficient for a std 12oz can. Hell, the factory indentations on the backside of the glovebox door are only ~1/8" & they work- well, better than the ashtray lid at least- still wouldn't want to corner enthusiastically. BUT, as Nick said, he extended the factory 1/8" depth by 1/2" & THEN he ELEVATED the edge ~1/2"- this means that the TOTAL DEPTH is at least one FULL INCH!!! Trust me, if his measurements are correct & the indenture is barely larger than the can, then it's going to work & it will work WELL!!! Just in case anyone does not know, a standard coke can, at center dia is ~2.5" & the total height is 4.75", therefore, 1" is already more than 20% of the height. Anyway, those are some things to think about- I hope it helps clear up some things. Of course, if you don't mind an unsightly cup holder hanging from the side of your door panel, or losing your center armrest to dip your elbow into cup holder (when empty) or plan to bring along a "Euro" cup holder everytime you want to drink, then you might want to pass this one up. Just my $.02...

Either way, I can't thank you enough for doing this Nick. I really think it was cool of you, & if nothing else, I'LL be VERY happy w/mine....!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
picklejuice52
Instructor

lol Thanks Robby, i appreciate that. It's actually turning out to be quite fun to make. I was hoping you would chime in soon, lol.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVERYONE here already knows I'm crazy!!! I'M the one who made pedal spacers (& steering wheel spacer) so I could sit further back in the car... THAT thread got a lot of input. Funny though, I've seen many people bitch about being too far foward in their cars, yet only a few have inquired about my successful modification...
Robby's right; he's been to my house, but I prefer to call it 'Appalachian Engineering'. After several unsuccessful attempts to carry a drink in my car, I went looking for a location for a cup holder: there aren' any 'good' places for one in a 944. I tried wedging it agains the passenger door and seat or just setting it in the seat and all I did was irrigate the rear carpet or it fell out when someone opened the door. there's a nice place behind the driver's seat belt buckle up against the console, but body heat warms it up or it sweats all over you:a cup of coffee is out of the question.
There is a nice wire one that someone sells for 911's that uses the cigarette lighter socket and it looks like it might work, but it's toooo expensive. So I 'AE'd' one.
This doesn't work if you have a 'European cup holder'. I don't usually have this problem because my wife is a Cayenne sized girl and don't ride in the 951 very often. I had the cup holder part left over from my 94 Cherokee and just attached it to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, the same that is used for floor boards in Porsches so as not to introduce and 'Ricer' accessories to my car. It works great. I didn't move or spill a drop going either way on The Dragon a couple weeks ago.If it gets in the way, I just throw it in the back seat.
Attached Images     
Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

WAIT A SECOND CHARLES!!!! Are you trying to tell me that you drove the Dragon w/a large cup like that, sitting in that shallow cup holder...? For those who don't know, the "Dragon" is a well-known strip of local road that has some ~150 curves(what's the exact #?) of varrying intensity & people fly down it. If you can drive down that road w/a drink in a cup holder, w/out it spilling, then that cup holder WORKS! This proves my point about it not taking much depth to keep the cup from spilling- Charles, that cup looks like it's close to a FOOT tall & the cup holder looks to be ~1" deep... Can you measure both for us technical freaks....?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:25 PM
01gt eibach
Advanced

Originally Posted by ubercooper
This the product I am going to install, except I am going to put in on the driver's door panel, next to the speaker (I am going to do this concurrently with installing new map pockets). There is actually plenty of room for a drink there without any intereference with normal driving. You just need to remember it is there when opening and closing the door at pit stops...

(my $0.02)
Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Greg Z
Instructor

I didn't read every word on this thread but this is my cupholder.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that!!!
Is that one of those solar garden lights w/the guts removed??
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, where'd you get the Porsche crest for your wheel?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Greg Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrly924s
I like that!!!
Is that one of those solar garden lights w/the guts removed??
LOL, Well, the bulb burned out and you know how I hate to throw good stuff out when useable somewhere else!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

if your vacuum forming plastic to replace the glove box door plastic, then why dont you just vacuum form a door map holder that has a cupholder built in?

Last edited by Deansk8flip; 05-07-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 05-07-2007, 01:57 AM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

I don't think anyone is vacuum forming anything.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansk8flip
if your vacuum forming plastic to replace the glove box door plastic, then why dont you just vacuum form a door map holder that has a cupolder built in?
Ingenious.

As for the glovebox idea, think you could make one for early cars?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

Originally Posted by picklejuice52
Im glad i didnt start vacuum forming anything yet, lol. There are alot of more practical solutions out there

he was gonna vacuum form plastic for the glovebox cupholder
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wipeout
I have "European cupholders".

By that, I mean I have passenger hold my drink.
best cup holders around!

Quick Reply: Is there a cupholder market??