Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here

I just registered and thought I would say hi and ask for some advice. I am currently thinking about a '88 944 na with 130k that a friend of my son is selling. I have not looked at the car yet, but my son says it looks good. He recently put a new head and a bunch of other work into the car. He told me that the car does not move because it needs a trans, but I think it may be the clutch. The trans shifts fine with the engine running but something clunks and bangs when the clutch is released. He only wants $1200 for the car so I think it is worth putting a little work into since the rest of the car is in pretty decent shape. Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Ask about the belts & water pump and option codes.

Where are you located?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If the pinion and ring gear are gone in the trans (which is the typical mode of failure), it will still shift with the clutch depressed but will sound horrible once you let the clutch out and try to move it. It is possible it needs a new trans. A quick way to check this is to drain the fluid and look for chunks of metal. It could be the clutch, *maybe*. If it has 130K and the clutch hasn't been replace, it is possible. But wish for it to be the transmission. It is easier to replace the transmission in these cars than it is to do the clutch job, and generally is cheaper too.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

The car has a new timing belt, water pump, and tstat. I am in Washington, NJ. I guess i should put something in my profile.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch requires more then "a little work"

New head might mean he didnt change the Timing Belt on time.

$1200 is a good buy, however fixing these cars does add up fast. Also note that the resell on a N/A 944 rarely goes over $5k.

Do you plan to to buy as a daily driver or for fun?

Ultimately I'd ask... do you have another 3800 to burn if you purchased the car?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

flash - welcome to Rennlist!

The clunking sound may very well be the clutch - the rubber centered clutch hub deteriorates over time. The bad news - it is a very labor intensive repair job. The good news: it's not as bad as replacing a tranny!

My bro-in-law just sold his running 944 to a fellow Rennlister out in Erie PA. While he needed a clutch (and a tb, and an H2O pump), he sold it for a good price...

You're in North NJ - I'd like to invite you to the Northern NJ PCA region - come on out next Wednesday (Jan 10th) to our monthly meeting at the Villa on Rt 46 East in Mountain Lakes. (Start time is 8pm). We will be showing some PCA-related videos - some archival footage, some newer stuff. It may be a great intro for you to the club. Club membership adds a lot more depth to Porsche ownership.

Again, Welcome!
- Zoltan.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Cool

Flash, fly your spaceship down here...i'll make you a deal on a 944
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Tifosman - But wish for it to be the transmission. It is easier to replace the transmission in these cars than it is to do the clutch job, and generally is cheaper too.

Z-man - The clunking sound may very well be the clutch - the rubber centered clutch hub deteriorates over time. The bad news - it is a very labor intensive repair job. The good news: it's not as bad as replacing a tranny!

LOL.....umm guys....can we have some consistency?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
Tifosman - But wish for it to be the transmission. It is easier to replace the transmission in these cars than it is to do the clutch job, and generally is cheaper too.

Z-man - The clunking sound may very well be the clutch - the rubber centered clutch hub deteriorates over time. The bad news - it is a very labor intensive repair job. The good news: it's not as bad as replacing a tranny!

LOL.....umm guys....can we have some consistency?
I defer to Tifosman's expertise - for the clutch job, I believe you need to drop the tranny, but you don't need to touch the clutch if you just work on the tranny. I suppose I got the cart before the horse thing going on in my noggin...

But whether it's the clutch or the tranny, it ain't pretty...

-Z
Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I had picked up a transmission for a 944 for $300.00, used of course... unfortunately, it wasn't the problem and made me look like an ***, but it was returned...

So, if you can find a used 944 transaxle for cheap, you'll be golden.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't think the 88s had rubber centred clutches. The clanging is probably the r&p in the tranny. Its terminal. The Pinion needs a preload adustment every 60 K and its the reason for transmission failure and is very common. It costs about 800 bucks to get that work done. At this point I'd pay the best price you can negotiate minus $1200 for a tranny change. Great cars once you get them right.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by jim 7
I don't think the 88s had rubber centred clutches.
All non-turbo 44's, including the 944S and 944S2 had rubber centered clutches.

-Z
Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have basic tools, a jack, and a helper, you can remove and replace the trans in less than 3 hours. Do a few of them and you can drop that time drastically.

I think its the trans r&p based on the limited knowlege we have. But you know how it goes when you attempt to diagnose problems over the interweb.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
If you have basic tools, a jack, and a helper, you can remove and replace the trans in less than 3 hours. Do a few of them and you can drop that time drastically.

I think its the trans r&p based on the limited knowlege we have. But you know how it goes when you attempt to diagnose problems over the interweb.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup. Tranny is a snap and much easier then the clutch. You can get a nice used NA tranny all day long for less then $500. Especially in NJ.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome to rennlist- 88 = best compression of any of the n/a's!!! Jack the rear end up and try turning the wheels or holding one side and turning the other side. IF it sounds like a box full of marbles then you prob need a trans. Could be a blown CV joint really. Usually when the rubber center goes out, the car still moves, but it clangs real good every time you let the clutch out since the rubber is gone. I would personally check and see if it has the stock clutch still- if it does, even if its good- its time for a replacement.

Quick Reply: New Here