Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part my S2 or sell it whole?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:45 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part my S2 or sell it whole?

Hi,

Here is my dillema. I tried selling my car but have had minimal interest. I'm not ready to take such a big hit on sale price so I figure it may be worth more to part it out since I have the facilities/space to do so. The car needs a new windshield and a respray to be really nice. Another bad point is that it does not have an accident free history. Everything else is in good condition. The car is also in great mechanical shape. Here are the parts I figure are worth the most money. I'm looking for a ballpark figure of what I can make by parting this car out. Car has 87k miles. Thanks in advance.

-S2 engine 87k miles, suffered tensioner failure, new cams and tensioner, but tensioner welded onto mounting point. Belts and pump done at 77k
-factory Firehawk chip
-replaced DME
-Extra 2.7 liter 8 valve head for turbo project
-exhaust/muffler/headers in great shape with test pipe
-2 good shape torque tubes
-LSD turbo oil cooler tranny 100k miles, great condition, tires even bind when cornering
-Front valence in great shape with good foglights
-Rear valence in good shape
-BBS LM staggered replicas minor curb rash 18 inch
-Calipers are in great shape
-Extra set of turbo S/S4 big brake calipers
-abs unit
-Power heated seats with no tears
-Great dash with one half inch crack starting around windshield air vent
-Body in overall good shape
-Great airbag steering wheel
-New leather and brushed aluminum insert shifter on shifter
-Billet aluminum pedals
-Great carpet all around
-Good hubs spindles
-Mint climate control
-suspension/ a-arms in good shape
-Good hatch
-Average rocker panel plastic trim
-Title shows accident history but frame is flawless
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about parting cars but I'll take the shifter **** with insert and aluminum pedals if you end up parting it out.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to say what you would make parting it out and so whatever I suggest is up for debate. The most valuable part of the car would be the engine which is difficult to sell because of logistics. I would guess it would be worth around 2-2.5k US$. Everything else on the car would probably total up to 3-4K US$ and then the brakes and 2.7 goodies might bring another grand. That would mean that total you would have somewhere in the range of 6K to 7.5K in parts value on the car. The biggest trick is selling the motor as the S2s do not seem to be holding their value as well as the Turbo cars. With the repaired head you might not do as well. The other thing to consider is how much is your time worth to not only take the car apart but also market and ship out all the pieces?

Do you have any pictures that you can post?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would sell all the extras - 2.7 head, big brakes etc.. and then try to sell the car whole. Too many cars getting parted out for just $ reasons...
Old 12-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

the steering wheel has a value of between 0 and $5. The hatch costs more to ship than it is worth.

now if you had a set of koni inserts in the car I would be interested.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you tried selling, and didn't get anywhere, and you have the facilities to part it, I say part it! Fixing it up will take a ton of time and or money, and since you wanna sell anyway, why go through the trouble?

I have no problem with people parting cars that would otherwise wind up run into the ground by some kid buying it for $2k.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
sidsport
Advanced

Sounds like the makings of a good track car for someone who wants the effort. On the other hand, a used LSD tranny might fetch $1200. If you could unload the engine as well you'd be on your way. You said "extra set of S4 calipers." Take that to mean a pair on the car and a pair in a box? Looking at maybe $400 a pair on those. Is suspension stock? Upgrades get $$$, stock gets used for furniture (old torsion bars are good for pull-ups!).

I guess the bottom line is, what do you need to get out of the car? Can't imagine that you couldn't find a buyer for the complete car--just rip the interior out and sell it as "project track car." Good luck....
Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i would sell all the extras - 2.7 head, big brakes etc.. and then try to sell the car whole. Too many cars getting parted out for just $ reasons...
+1, you took the words right out of my mouth. Take off the mods and sell them seperate, no need to destroy a car that is still a driver.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much were you asking for the whole car?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM
tod84944
Drifting

sell the car whole.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Parting is waaaaay too much work, unless you are unemployed or retired I do not think it's worth the time. I would however suggest selling the extra parts, mods, and getting it closer to stock. Find the local DE group and advertise it with them, and S2 with LSD would be a great track toy.

-Joel.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

If you part it I want the Firehawk DME unit. It is a factory sealed Firehawk uint right? How much For the 951S/S4 brakes as well and are they new? also what about the torque tubes how much?

Brandon J
Old 12-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Nick!!! Don't do that Your car is in better shape than mine.

It's just not a good time to sell, wait until spring and then revisit. No one is looking for a car right now because of all the storage issues and everything.

We are always at a big disadvantage up here, prices are pretty high for these cars and we loose all the potential US market.

Hang on to it for a bit longer and I'm sure someone will take it.

Hell, I'll give you $5,000 then your problem's solved. You see, that was easy.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

unemployed and retired, I wish! I have my eye on another car and this one is way to clean to let go cheap. Interesting points have been brought up, all of which I will take into consideration. Thanks a bunch for the input. Maybe I should wait for the spring and just turbo it and repaint it myself, hehe. The market really sucks hard up here, like really.

-Nick
Old 12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Another 944??? You seem to have a nack to find good deals

Good luck with both your sale and future purchase.

Quick Reply: Part my S2 or sell it whole?