Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
saxman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running amsoil in my 120k mile 968. No leaking issues caused by it, etc. Who knows what the PO was running. I doubt it was anything special.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:20 PM
x0panda0x
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
I'm running amsoil in my 120k mile 968. No leaking issues caused by it, etc. Who knows what the PO was running. I doubt it was anything special.
how long have you been running it in there, when did you first put it in? my issu is with it being so long and hearing so many horror stories about leaks.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:52 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

I switched to amsoil at 160,000, i now have 170,000 and it hasn't caused any leaks.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 PM
x0panda0x
Intermediate

thanks guys. i guess when i do my next oil change here soon i'll run amsoil's engine flush through and then switch it to the amsoil synthetic (my dad bought it for my birthday).
Old 10-13-2007, 04:36 PM
saxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by x0panda0x
how long have you been running it in there, when did you first put it in? my issu is with it being so long and hearing so many horror stories about leaks.
only 1000 miles or so ago... I've been keeping a close eye on my oil levels and watching out for any signs of leaking.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

xo - i wouldn't run their flush. The folks over on www.bobistheoilguy.com don't speak highly of flushes on good engines like ours.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:23 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Years ago I switched to amsoil in the engine and gearbox in a formula car. Picked up 400 revs at the end of the straight and had great oil pressure at any temp. It's worth the investment.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I ran Mobil 1 in my old 84' NA from about 90k to 110k then Amsoil after that. It did leak some as age and miles prgoressed but it was due to a seepy oil pan gasket. I did run their flush per the instructions and did not have any problems.
I ran either the High Performance 10w-40 or High Performance 20w-50. When I contacted Amsoil about what oil to run they said the Euro 5-40 is more formulated for newer Euro cars. And they recommended the HP blends in a thicker viscosity.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
BigNNasty - there is no evidence whatsoever that "...Amsoil is way better than Mobil 1"

Amsoil has never been a Porsche Approved product - Mobil 1 has been the Porsche factory fill for well over a decade. They took over from Shell who supplied 5w-40 synthetic products up until around 1994

In fact ExxonMobil supply most of the base oils and additive packages to blenders like Amsoil

No one lubricant of any Brand meeting the SAME SPECIFICATION as another has ever been shown to be significantly better in engine longevity etc. despite what the advertising hype might suggest

IMHO you should always use a lubricant that has ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 "approval" in the correct viscosity
if you chose NOT to use a Porsche Approved lubricant

This link may interest you too;

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Regards
Old 10-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Amsoil is a botique oil just like Royal Purple, Joe Gibbs oil, Redline, etc. And Exxon Mobil is the largest oil company on the globe today. Global car companies are going to pick a globally recognized and available oil plain and simple.

I have run both and I have my preferences and I would not say one is way better than another. They each have their pros and cons in terms of compromises with either price, performance in different viscosities and blends, and availability.

Just some food for thought:
http://www.performanceoiltechnology....lvs.Mobil1.htm

Doug, I have read and heard the newer gold cap Mobil-1 and other new API certified oils do not have the same ZDDP levels needed for earlier flat-tappet engines.

Therefore, one oil should not be put in every car under the sun, young or old.
What I would put in a 2002 Honda Accord is not what I would suggest for 1934 Alfa Romeo Tipo B P3.

Another oil I have found interest in is Penrite: http://www.penrite.com.au/html/s02_a...icle_view.asp?
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you seen the TV ad the "Prancing Horse" recomends QuakerState so that must be the best ?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
Charlie944 - you are correct in that most people will never know the difference between conforming lubricants - the differences are insignificant. Even Used Oil Analysis cannot measure such differences unless trended over many years or kilometers/miles
Most people also don't retain their vehicles long enough to make a qualified judgement in any case

The Amsoil link you provide is just that - an Amsoil link and much of their data within it can be disputed

This is not to say that Amsoil do not make good lubricants but when compared in unbiased clinical tests and in use they are simply no better than another lubricant of similar specification from other Blenders or Oil Companies!

The issue of Zinc additives (original and after market) is really a dead one. Modern anti-wear additives are proving to be significantly better and less harmful to engines than the often referred to "ZDDP" mix. Too much Zinc is in fact harmful to engines

For instance the ACEA A3/B3 wear test protocols have been the same since they were originally formulated in 1995 and applied in 1996. The ACEA has seen many new oil formulations in the last 11 years and any oil certified by the ACEA to A3/B3, A3/B4 mix will provide excellent wear metal test results - and in the field too!
ACEA is the European Vehicle and Engine Maker's Technical and Liaison Body and is quite a different ship to the API!

You are also correct - when an engine maker specifies a lubricant specification and runs an Approval regime (such as Porsche, MB, BMW, VW-Audi etc) one is well advised to use one of those that have the Approval!
Lubricant Approval is not a case of a "closed shop" - the Porsche Approval TSB 1701 2/06 for all >MY84 engines contains around 100 engine lubricants from various manufacturers. All are synthetic lubricants and most are Group 3 products, there are some Group 4 and Group 5 products as well. The higher the Group the more expensive and more "sophisticated" the product is. Most are of 5w-40 viscosity, around twenty are 0w-40 and there is only one SAE50 lubricant - Mobil 1 5w-50

No SAE30 lubricants have been Approved for use since 1999 (except for the Cayenne V6 (VW engine)) and with good reason. The SAE30 lubricants (such as 10w-30) do not maintain sufficient viscosity at the High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) viscosity test point of 150C and beyond

It is woth remembering that there is no magic oil!

Regards
Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

This is an old post!

I want a full synthetic, not a "full" synthetic. Mobil 1 was said not to be full, so I steered away. I can get Amsoil cheaper then Mobil 1, so I went that route.

I'll be going with Royal Purple on my next fill though, because it HAS dyno proven numbers. I have seen cars gain 12whp having royal purple from front to rear!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hillary
Hi,
BigNNasty - there is no evidence whatsoever that "...Amsoil is way better than Mobil 1"

Amsoil has never been a Porsche Approved product - Mobil 1 has been the Porsche factory fill for well over a decade. They took over from Shell who supplied 5w-40 synthetic products up until around 1994

In fact ExxonMobil supply most of the base oils and additive packages to blenders like Amsoil

No one lubricant of any Brand meeting the SAME SPECIFICATION as another has ever been shown to be significantly better in engine longevity etc. despite what the advertising hype might suggest

IMHO you should always use a lubricant that has ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 "approval" in the correct viscosity
if you chose NOT to use a Porsche Approved lubricant

This link may interest you too;

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Regards

I can't say anything about longevity, but back to back tests in my 944 race car showed me that similar competiting products Mobil 1 15w50 (old stuff) vs Amsoil Series 2000 20w50 the Amsoil maintained 0.5 bar more oil pressure hot than Mobil 1. Since oil is critical in 944 racing motors I chose to run Amsoil exclusivily after that. I do not run it in my street car. Only the race car. My street 944 Turbo is a 129k mile motor will some nigling oil leaks and I run Valvoline VR1 20w50 oil year around (I live in Phoenix so highs are 55-115F). If I rebuild the motor and but in all a new seals I may used Mobil 1. Not sure yet.

Oil change interval is 3 race weekends on 944 race car and about 3000 miles on the 951 street car.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Many motorcycle enthusiasts run Amsoil in their bikes, and so I that's what I run. It's expensive, but its one of the best oils available. Since I run more than 3,000 miles between oil changes on my bike, I need the added protection of a good oil.

Steve Weiner from Rennsport Systems just recently posted a couple more oils that are fit for the air-cooled Porsches in a different thread. Here is what he said:

"My very best advice to you would be to drain that VR1 and replace it with either Brad-Penn 20w-50, Swepco 15w-40 (or their 20w-50), Royal Purple 20w-50 motorcycle oil, or Mobil 1 V-Twin oil."

Quick Reply: Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil