Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This has to be taken with a grain of salt, since the source is my ex-step father and he was twacked out most of the time, BUT he swears by amsoil and from what I gather they were either the first or one of the first to make a synthetic, so I doubt they are sourcing blends from Mobil.

That being said, when I switched to Mobil 1, it was because I was told (not by Mobil) that it was one of the few true full synthetics. That was in 1998, so maybe things have changed. I've always had good luck with it, but from the way people are raving about Amsoil, I'll probably put some in my car this weekend. Long overdue for a change.

****Just read the other thread, and M1 was full synth before.****
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve Weiner from Rennsport Systems just recently posted a couple more oils that are fit for the air-cooled Porsches in a different thread. Here is what he said:

"My very best advice to you would be to drain that VR1 and replace it with either Brad-Penn 20w-50, Swepco 15w-40 (or their 20w-50), Royal Purple 20w-50 motorcycle oil, or Mobil 1 V-Twin oil."
I have ran the Brad Penn oil before. It is essentially the old Kendall GT-1 *GREEN* oil not the new Conoco Phillips formulation. Prob is it was only available from the machine shop that did my 951 head rebuild.
Mobil's V-twin oil leaves in what the newer formulations of Mobil have been taking out. Increased levels of Boron, Manganese, and Zinc. Granted as Doug H stated that too much Zinc can be a bad thing. I know over on OffshoreOnly forums many have been switching to the V-twin oil in thier Big Blocks from Mobil 1.
These guys are especially finicky about engine oil seenings how they may have 10 grand plus per engine and are running 1-3 engines!

I have not tired the Swepco but would like to. I suppose it is a catalog order only.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil