Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944S MAF conversion thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 944S MAF conversion thread

I have been promising to post info about my MAF setup, but obtaining the parts that I ordered over a month ago has been a real hassle. But, I am finally starting to make progress.

Here is a list of parts I am will be using for this system:

- Lindsey Racing ST1 MAF - pictured
- Custom 2.5" throttle body to MAF meter SS intake piping - pictured
- Custom 3" SS intake piping (to be used before the MAF) - not pictured
- 2.5" to 3.5" silicone reducer, 2.5" straight coupler, 3" to 3.5" silicone reducer
- Custom chip

The piping will be powder coated tomorrow, an after pic will be right here......

The goal is to plumb the intake under the header panel, on this side.......

Currently, my custom intake runs on this side.....

It will be about 2 weeks before I start testing this MAF setup, because I am still working on the 944SMAX performance chip. But any info and updates will be posted here.

Last edited by jgporsche; 11-14-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

where did you get the silicone?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

www.siliconeintakes.com
Old 11-10-2006, 03:54 AM
greenshoes3
Pro

I am VERY interested in how this turns out, what about that whole new intake manifold that someone was producing for 16valve engines??? can someone link me to the site?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

Wow, we're actually making some progress on upgrades for the "S"! Now if we can just get someone to properly design an affordable cat-back exhaust system....

So you're keeping the stock throttle body? I feel like I've seen posts about whether/how to switch it out with a wider one. I could be wrong.

I'm assuming you are just working around your current set up to take pics and that you're not really going to be keeping the stock filter box.

My guess is that the chip will not really be compatible with a custom grind on the cams(?). Mine are stock right now, but maybe someday....

Please do keep this thread updated. I'll also be checking back for it.

Kurt
'87 944S
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgporsche
i currently have just a cone on my afm (it came that way). but after hearing so many poor reviews i am going to build one like this and get a vented header panel. are you pretty happy with this setup?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Great work, Jesse! It's awesome to see someone pursuing the ideas I had with my S back in the day! Makes me miss it even more...

So how does the AFM intake sound right now? Any noticeable torque loss?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Wow, we're actually making some progress on upgrades for the "S"! Now if we can just get someone to properly design an affordable cat-back exhaust system....
IMHO, just doing a catback is a waste of time. You are not freeing up the whole exhaust and taking advantage of everything you can by only going with a cat-back.

So you're keeping the stock throttle body? I feel like I've seen posts about whether/how to switch it out with a wider one. I could be wrong
I've thought about swapping to a larger throttle body. It may happen, just not right now.

My goals have been:

free up the air intake - accomplished
free up exhaust - accomplished
convert to MAF - in progress
Stronger ignition - deciding which ignition to use (AEM, MSD, etc.)
4 into 1 headers - next
larger throttle body/ port matched intake - contemplating
head work/cams - LAST

I'm assuming you are just working around your current set up to take pics and that you're not really going to be keeping the stock filter box.
I haven't had a stock air box for a long time.

My guess is that the chip will not really be compatible with a custom grind on the cams(?).
The chip I will be using will just be for the MAF conversion. Any other tuning will be via piggyback. I don't think their is such a chip for custom cams for the 944S.

i currently have just a cone on my afm (it came that way). but after hearing so many poor reviews i am going to build one like this and get a vented header panel. are you pretty happy with this setup?
Through my own tests, and through reading the tests of others, just putting a cone filter on the AFM doesn't work. The air flow to the AFM is too eratic.

So how does the AFM intake sound right now?
I couldn't tell you. When I had the stock exhaust, it made a deeper sound, but I didn't do a before and after when i got my exhaust.

Any noticeable torque loss?
No, not at all. But i don't think I gained any either. The only thing I think it did was give me a little better throttle response.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

New pic with my piping powder coated in the 1st post of the thread....... now for basically what this thing will look like.....

for a little diagram.....

Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Basically, I am trying for the same system as stock. Just, instead of plastic intake piping, i'm using SS. The MAF will be approx in the same spot as the AFM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Can't wait until you put some dyno numbers so we all can see the performance improvement!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:08 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MAXTRONIC and his new fancy wide band will make the MAF version of the 944SMAX chips go MUCH quicker. I'll be able to tune his car from here...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

please, where did you get the maf sensor at? Is it even compatible with the S? I thought they were only built for the 951's.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:59 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

It's been stated like 100 times that it's a Lindsey Racing MAF. The MAF will be compatible with the correct software (944SMAX MAF chip). If you don't receive the Lindsey Racing newsletter (you should sign up) they stated in this month's issue, that Russell will be working on a plug and play MAF conversion.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Big E
Racer

This is great, this is almost exactly what I've been looking to do, but various other car and non-car related projects have kept me from getting to it. What are the bungs for between the MAF and the throttle body? IAC? Haven't looked at it in a while, don't even remember them being there.

Quick Reply: My 944S MAF conversion thread