Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944SMAX is HERE! Rennlist Discount thru 11/30/06

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM
czar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update

Just wanted to give everyone an update as I was able to run a full tank of gas on the chip and a lot of miles.

Car's running great and I still can't get over how string the pull is. On the highway, 5th is much more useful.

As for gas mileage, with a 1/2 tank of cruising on the hwy b/w 70-80, and a 1/2 tank of short trips and really getting on it, I averaged 19.5 mpg. I was pleasantly surprised

Very satisfied!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by czar
Update

Just wanted to give everyone an update as I was able to run a full tank of gas on the chip and a lot of miles.

Car's running great and I still can't get over how string the pull is. On the highway, 5th is much more useful.

As for gas mileage, with a 1/2 tank of cruising on the hwy b/w 70-80, and a 1/2 tank of short trips and really getting on it, I averaged 19.5 mpg. I was pleasantly surprised

Very satisfied!
What would you average before. I don't think anyone's ever done a gas mileage comparison. Never really thought about it, but that's good info to have too.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-04-2006, 10:58 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

I can atest to the gas mileage. I drive 42 miles roundtrip to the dyno, i went to the dyno 3 times over 3 weeks, 9 dyno runs, regular every day driving and still had a hair above 1/4 of a tank.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:06 AM
czar
Instructor

Originally Posted by rberry951
What would you average before. I don't think anyone's ever done a gas mileage comparison. Never really thought about it, but that's good info to have too.

Regards,
Russell
Around town, heavy on the throttle like this, I get ≤15. On the hwy, I could get about 25 or so, so it doesn't seem to have affected mileage negatively. I run 91 or 93 anyway, so no extra out-of-pocket for gas!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

I received my package tonight and opened it up only to find that the little box was completely smashed and prongs are bent on the chip....
I was hoping to install it in the car tonight......

Russel, I sent you an email with photo.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Don't feel bad. I had the same thing happen to me. It seems the USPS doesn't take care of people's packages.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by peterjcb
I received my package tonight and opened it up only to find that the little box was completely smashed and prongs are bent on the chip....
I was hoping to install it in the car tonight......

Russel, I sent you an email with photo.
I replied Peter, I'm sending you a new one in the morning.

Jesse, they REALLY went out of their way to smash Peter's chip, check out the photo he sent me...

I've got to get some 'FRAGILE' stickers. Well, including chips sent to testers I've probably shipped 150 chips in the past couple of months, so only getting two smashed I guess isn't so bad... but still, it sucks for Peter, now he has to wait again...

Sorry Peter.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Thanks Russell,
Here's my suggestion to you...

"Go to Home Depot/Lowe’s and get some 1” PVC pipe. Cut it into 2”or 3” piceces and pack the chips right in the pipe with some cotton and tape on each end. It would be practically crush proof and a lot less expensive than the $3.00 boxes. The boxes are a nice idea but personally, it doesn’t matter to me what the chip comes in, as long as it’s protected.

Thanks,
Peter"
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Holy ****!!! Mine wasn't crushed that bad! I was able to bend the prongs back and fit them in the dme. But, when I got another chip to test, 6 prongs broke off upon removal.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
czar
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgporsche
off to the dyno.......
Hey Jesse - do you have those new dyno #'s yet?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

no new dyno numbers...... i tried to go SAT,during a dyno day. I showed up an hour early and was 18th in line. So I said screw it. I had stuff to do.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:01 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

I've got my new chip installed and the car feels "peppier"
This chip isn't going to turn your 944S into a 951, but it does feel like it's doing something.
I didn't get a chance to drive the car that much but I'm doing an extended drive on Sunday morning and I'll be able to give some better feedback on the chip.

BTW, taking the DME apart for the first time was a PITA but once you do it, it's really pretty easy when you know exactly how it comes apart.
BTW, the breakout box is a great idea Russell. Have you made any progress lately with the design and implementation?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Unfortunately the breakout box, and a few other projects, are on the back burner until I get all the chip development done on the 944 variants. I'll keep posting project updates on the support forum.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Finally had a chance to take the car out today and put it through the paces with the new 944SMAX chip. I put on about 160 miles today on a drive. I enjoyed "cleaning" out my engine a few times today, taking it almost up to readline in a few gears.
There is more "even" power starting in the lower RPM range. The difference is most noticeable in the lower gears but still definitely noticeable in 4th & 5th gear.
I'm very happy with the way my car feels right now, it's just running very strong.
This chip won't perform miracles but it's a nice, relatively easy upgrade for your S and worth the money.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by peterjcb
Finally had a chance to take the car out today and put it through the paces with the new 944SMAX chip. I put on about 160 miles today on a drive. I enjoyed "cleaning" out my engine a few times today, taking it almost up to readline in a few gears.
There is more "even" power starting in the lower RPM range. The difference is most noticeable in the lower gears but still definitely noticeable in 4th & 5th gear.
I'm very happy with the way my car feels right now, it's just running very strong.
This chip won't perform miracles but it's a nice, relatively easy upgrade for your S and worth the money.
Thanks Peter, I'm glad you are happy with it. Have you ever dyno tested your car? I'd like to see more people dyno their cars after making upgrades to get quantitative data as to what you are actually getting. But to really make a substantial about more power it takes other mods on the NA cars, exhaust, etc. Exhaust seems to be a good 'bang for your buck' investment judging from Jesse's experiences and other as well. Jesse gained 10HP on the exhaust upgrade alone.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: 944SMAX is HERE! Rennlist Discount thru 11/30/06