Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS rack part question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS rack part question

reassembling the rack last night... didn't realize a shim/spacer wasn't lined up correctly when the the steering gear went in... Need a new one.

It's the 1mm thick shim that goes in the bottom of the gear housing with the flat bearing. I noticed it snapped like it's a hardened steel rather than bent. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, but I'm guessing it's probably not available separately. Does this absolutley have to be replaced with the same part? If not, where would I look for shims of this size?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Cra$h... I think you have about 0.1% probability of finding a steering rack inner part at the dealer. I think you can only get the rack itself...

However, I believe I actually have a spare of the part you are looking for... is this it (note: dimensions in millimeters)? If it is, I can send it to you by mail. If you need it in a rush, it can be FedEx'd for cost. Let me know...
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those (or something very close) are not hard to find. My country hardware store has a selection of them - along with alot of other tractor parts ;]

Its been a couple of years but I swapped out the oem spacer for one that was a hair thicker - I was trying to shift the control valve up in the tower because I had pretty deep grooves in the tower casting - sort of like retracking the AFM but for the rack. Bruce

Old 10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Thanks for the reply and offer Allan! I think the one you're showing is the thicker of the two that surround the bearing based on what appears to be a bevel that I only noticed on the thicker one. I need the thinner one that's exactly 1mm, and I think the thicker one is probably about 3mm.

I did measure it with the caliper last night and I got 46.6mm (possibly 46.5?) OD, 30mm ID, and 1mm thick.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have an extra rack already in a box for shipping if you want that...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Those (or something very close) are not hard to find. My country hardware store has a selection of them - along with alot of other tractor parts ;]

Its been a couple of years but I swapped out the oem spacer for one that was a hair thicker - I was trying to shift the control valve up in the tower because I had pretty deep grooves in the tower casting - sort of like retracking the AFM but for the rack. Bruce

Excellent. Exactly what I was hoping to find out. It's the 3rd one in from the right on the picture. Thanks for posting that! Interesting idea about the grooves as I noticed that myself. I don't think mine are that bad, but I wasn't sure what to do about it.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I have that thinner one too. If you can't find one elsewhere, let me know and I'll gladly slip it in the mail...
Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crash, I'm embarrassed to say I went through TWO of those puppies when I was rebuilding my rack (that still leaked, I'm thinking because I shoved that valve in so many times).

Look up "Motion Industries" (bearing supplier). Pretend you're a business (they just asked me where I worked, no verification or anything) and tell them you want a thrust bearing race with the dimensions matching your busted one. Mine were $.96 each. Here's a hint from actually getting it in without breaking the third try... install the valve with the housing UPSIDE DOWN. As in push it up from the ground with this thrust bearing sitting on the top of valve assembly.

Here's the thread I started when I busted the first one...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/284640-wtb-ps-rack-thrust-bearing-need-one-asap.html
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Well I did as Bruce suggested and found a shim at the local hardware store meant for farm machinery. Not perfect, but seems close enough.

Got everything back together last night around 3am with the rack and crossmember loosely installed (did other stuff while I was in there). Hope to do an initial leak test tonight and hope I don't see Old Faithful.

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i have an extra rack already in a box for shipping if you want that...
Is it leak free? Even if mine is fixed, I might still be interested. I like having spares. PM me a price.

Originally Posted by amjf088
I have that thinner one too. If you can't find one elsewhere, let me know and I'll gladly slip it in the mail...
Allan, thanks again for the offer. Hopefully the shim I found will work fine, but I'll let you know if I still need it.
Originally Posted by DanG
Crash, I'm embarrassed to say I went through TWO of those puppies when I was rebuilding my rack (that still leaked, I'm thinking because I shoved that valve in so many times).
Dan, thanks for the link and thread. Glad to know I'm not the only one. My heart sank when I heard the telltale *snap*...

Quick Reply: PS rack part question