Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 12:52 AM
SS S2
Instructor

Again, the Rennlist folks are always (if nothing else) entertaining. I have to agree that if anyone posts something for a premium price, the hater's are out in force. Seems to me, some of them were boasting the value of the 944S2 when I was looking to buy one...Hummmm, I wonder why that is?

Look, I am ASKING for a premium price...if I get it, it would not suprise me. If not, so be it. By the way, I noted that I am more than willing to work with a real buyer. No matter what price it goes for, someone is going to get a hell of a car! In either case, I would truly appreciate the Na-say'rs . If you like the car, or think of anyone who might, let them know and pass the word along if you wouldn't mind.

We are all here for the love of these cars, at least that's what I presume to be correct, so why not relize that and be constructive if you disagree. Nobody really cares if you got the deal of a lifetime. If you need to tell us all, you are either posting it to boast of your own achivement or belittle others because you need to validate yourself; any Psych 101 student can confirm that. However, it takes a smart man to believe that, but a true gentleman to refrain from doing so. I stand by these words for your consideration:

The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe. - John Walter Wayland

If you need to look up some of these words, feel free...nobody will make fun of you for bettering yourself. At least I won't, for what its worth.
Old 09-20-2006 | 01:14 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock
If its anything like Vinnys, then id pay that much for it. Of course I also dont have that much. I have about 2 dollars and 97 cents to my name right now.

Rock-man, thanks,
I didn't know you cared! Congrats on the new ride, BTW. Also, Andrew has your old 944 sill plates so he'll be riding with a little piece of the Rock! I hate to say this, but I hope they bring him a little more luck than they did you!
Old 09-20-2006 | 10:03 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SS S2
The pics I have are too high a resolution for Rennlist.
Plenty of folks happy to resize/resample for you!

If you want to do it yourself, download and install Irfanview (freeware). Open the pic, select <image>, then <resize/resample>, select the size you want, and save the image... that easy! My car budget is about the same as Rock's but I'd love to see pics anyway.

I hope you get your asking price, sounds like a great car, well documented. Means it will (hopefully) go to a nice home where it will be well cared for.

Edit: guess I'm a true gentleman
Old 09-20-2006 | 10:20 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Again, the Rennlist folks are always (if nothing else) entertaining. I have to agree that if anyone posts something for a premium price, the hater's are out in force. Seems to me, some of them were boasting the value of the 944S2 when I was looking to buy one...Hummmm, I wonder why that is?
You can't take it personally. 99% of the people on Rennlist (I am citing the 944/951/968 boards specifically but this more than likely applies to a lot of the other # boards) are looking for a deal and know so much about these cars that they are not willing to pay the price that people outside of the "circle" pay. A lot of that attitude is also due to the huge number of posts that show up on here that are along the lines of "I paid $2K for my 198X 944 and it is perfect". No one ever really gets the rest of the story other than that. You know the rest of the story. A year later that same person has sunk another $8K into the car when it needed maintanance, a new clutch, paint, trans, etc. But that first post is still out there. There are some exceptions to the rule but as you and I know, if you have the money, it is better to get the best example of a car right from the get-go.............unless you are looking for a project or like misery. 944/951/968 Rennlist members are a tainted bunch that tend to cut themselves with a double-edged sword..........blasting the value of great examples when they are advertised here, on eBay, or wherever...............but then moaning and complaining when it is time to sell their baby and they can't find anyone willing to give them more than $4K for their pristine 85 944. These people also suffer because they aren't trying to sell the cars in some other venue than Rennlist. A nice example will fetch more if sold thru other means, generally. I'm not being a hater, just a realist when it comes to the personality or "flava" of this board. If I wanted to move my car and get premium pricing for it, I wouldn't count on getting it from someone on the board.

I hope you get what you are looking for or close to that. If you aren't pressured to sell and can wait awhile, then you might get it. Especially if you advert it in a lot of other places like Pano, etc.
Old 09-20-2006 | 11:37 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry guys, didnt mean to start a flame war. I wouldnt have taken less than 10 for my S2 which was more than I paid for it two years ago.

The problem with high teen 944s is that you are approaching 968 territory (remember the second owner blue 968 (blue is better than red because it is rarer) that was listed here just a few short months ago with something like 54k miles on it for the same price or less?) and Boxter territory as well. The number of 944 collectors is about half the number of gremlin collectors which is a quarter the number of pacer collectors. Sad fact, but our cars are not the desireable ones.

more than a few people told me to just turn my car into a track toy. I couldnt turn a pristine car into a track toy, so i sold it to my brother and bought a 951 with 20k of recent receipts, (clutch, konis, M030 sways, rebuilt turbo, new belts water pump/seals etc )that is set up for DEs.

16.9 is a good starting point. is it worth only 10k? No. Is it worth 17K? probably not. Is it worth between 10 and 17? Definitely. Now lets stay tuned to find out exactly where.

The fact that the rubber center clutch was replaced is very good and IMHO adds at least 1000 to the value just for peace of mind that one of the three maintenance problems are done (belts and cam pad being the other two).

Remember I am the guy that says a perfect/mint 944NA with ultra low miles shouldnt top 8k with everything done (clutch and belts) and ready to go. Yet in the same vane as what Tifo is saying, I am paying 6500 (albeit my brother and I dont pay sales tax of 8.675% for sales to one another so the 6500 is more like 6000) for one that is not perfect.

Last edited by Tom R.; 09-20-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2006 | 01:35 PM
gman1868
Instructor

I guess I didn't know that my question would stir up so much angst, it was not my intension. I just wasn't aware that there was such a variation in pricing for an S2. I spose I should have prefaced my question with the fact that I was curious about the determination of the value of an S2 based upon condition.

Old 09-20-2006 | 01:57 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

LOL! I love this. 944 owners gripe and whine constantly about how their cars aren't worth squat either book-value or market-value, but whenever a prime example comes on the market for more than 1500 the same people cry "foul" just because they can't afford it. Hilarious.
Old 09-20-2006 | 02:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
LOL! I love this. 944 owners gripe and whine constantly about how their cars aren't worth squat either book-value or market-value, but whenever a prime example comes on the market for more than 1500 the same people cry "foul" just because they can't afford it. Hilarious.
Maybe my reading comprehension is off. but the way i am reading it people are questioning the value, and if they can afford it can also afford other cars which may be more desireable.

nothing hilarious about it at all. people just trying to figure out what fair market value of a low production edition of a high production model. A S2 is a very different car than a NA, and is priced more in line with 968s than 944s.

And yes a 944 NA is worth squat. The value of a NA is in the new parts, a clean, running 944 that has say 80k miles on it with the original clutch and in need of belts etc. is worth somewhere between diddly and squat. Values of lesser cars go down from there.
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:47 PM
zoxx2004
Instructor

I'm not sure if there griping they can't afford it.Maybe they figured that a Boxster a 1 or 2 more.Its nothing about being a gentleman or not.Its about best use of the money.But if your buying a collecter car! Than its worth what ever the highest bidder is willing to pay ,not what the cars worth!If this car has some history,rarity in number,factory prepared,mo30,etc,etc.It deserves a higher value.
There was a 944S factory prepped race car in Florida, highest bid I think was about 12,000. That was a true deal,That was 1 of maybe 10 if that .they were looking for about 17,000.That was a good deal! It didn't sell.I can ask what ever I want for my car,The price ofcourse, usually goes on how long I really want to hold on to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ps As far as I'm concerned, John walter Wayland might secretly be an **** retentive cross dressing drag queen.I believe most members here can think for themselves .They don't need to go to read a book on how to be a man !
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:50 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Don't know if this pricing data will be worth anything or not... but I purchased my 1990 S2 in 1997 for $17,800. At the time that was a rather high price for an S2 (the value in Excellence was about $15K for an S2 in excellent condition)... but mine only had 30,500 miles on it and basically looked like new. Considering that the car advertised here is now 9 years older, it's hard to see (to me) how it could be worth close to $17K since the value of these cars continues to drop every year.

Then again, it is 9 years later than when I purchased mine and the car in this thread still has low mileage. It's real value may be for the individual that would continue to keep it in concours condition.

Low mileage cars can be a two-edged sword. In theory they are nice to have because they generally look and run better than other high mileage cars, but low mileage itself is not a really good indicator of condition because all these cars run and drive better when driven regularly.

Sounds like a really nice car... I just don't know the value. I'd probably be lucky to get $17K for mine and I've spent way more than $30K on it in upgrades and maintenance over the years.
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Look, I am ASKING for a premium price...if I get it, it would not suprise me. If not, so be it. By the way, I noted that I am more than willing to work with a real buyer. No matter what price it goes for, someone is going to get a hell of a car! In either case, I would truly appreciate the Na-say'rs . If you like the car, or think of anyone who might, let them know and pass the word along if you wouldn't mind.

We are all here for the love of these cars, at least that's what I presume to be correct, so why not relize that and be constructive if you disagree. Nobody really cares if you got the deal of a lifetime. If you need to tell us all, you are either posting it to boast of your own achivement or belittle others because you need to validate yourself; any Psych 101 student can confirm that. However, it takes a smart man to believe that, but a true gentleman to refrain from doing so. I stand by these words for your consideration:

The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe. - John Walter Wayland

If you need to look up some of these words, feel free...nobody will make fun of you for bettering yourself. At least I won't, for what its worth.
Nobody will make fun of you for asking what you think the car is worth. At least I won't for what it's worth.

What is your point?

Good luck selling your car. Good luck with your next toy.

Last edited by Tom R.; 09-20-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2006 | 01:12 AM
SS S2
Instructor

First off, what I was doing Tom was taking a mild attempt at humor.

As far as any issues with zoxx2004, who so eloquently noted:
"As far as I'm concerned, John Walter Wayland might secretly be an **** retentive cross dressing drag queen.I believe most members here can think for themselves .They don't need to go to read a book on how to be a man !"
I can't thank him enough for making my point for me. That passage was directed to exactly that kind of person.

With regard to zoxx2004 being the self appointed voice of Rennlist members, something tells me they just assume speak for themselves.

Lastly, allow me to address his comment on reading a book to be a real man. I certainly don't think anyone needs to read a book to be a man. However, exposing one self to the words of others gives you a much more broad perspective on life and opens you mind to ideas, concepts and realities that your world may, or may not, offer you. I would submit that if we didn't "read" anything, we would most likely never learn much, which only breeds ignorance. The reference was basically pointing out that a real man is secure with himself and does not use others to validate himself, or boost his own ego, self-worth or existence

Rather than engage zooxx2004 further in a poison pen, self serving, dick measuring, my dad is bigger than your dad war of words, I will simply leave this exchange by giving what I presume is the only logical reply...none.
Old 09-21-2006 | 01:19 AM
SS S2
Instructor

BTW, lordofchaos.....thanks for the heads up on that program!
Old 09-21-2006 | 09:42 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

First off, what I was doing Tom was taking a mild attempt at humor.
Hard to do on this forum.

FWIW when my 89 S2 was stolen three years ago Geico used a 90 S2 as a comparable. Geico's subcontracted appraiser deducted $3,000 for the year!

I think you will get a good price for the car, just have to bear in mind that high teens now buy mint 968s and low mileage boxsters too.

Is your S2 the red one that was on eBay three years ago this time period?
Old 09-21-2006 | 11:30 AM
SS S2
Instructor

Good point Tom. VERY hard to do here.

No, this is not the same car.

BTW, why did you use a normal insurance market for your car. I have an agreed price policy for $20,000. Simple, if it gets stolen of totaled, $20,000; end of story. ACV (actual cash value) policies use a more subjective approach and are usually not for the collectable car market. Since there are probably less than 1,250 of the 1990 944S2's left, you can easily call this car a collectible exotic according to most specialty insurance carriers. (Can you guess what I do for a living?!)

Thanks again for your honest and respectful comments...I hear you and will most likely adjust my price...again, $16,999 is a starting point and probably not where the car will sell for.

Quick Reply: MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE