Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thought I'd keep this updated with my Holiday Progress:

The big deal was to remove the dash! Real PITA but it's out! I've disabled the steering wheel locking mechanism. Today I bypassed the heater core and removed it.

My progress was hampered last week by a trip to Stuttgart. Can you believe that while there I:

*Didn't go to the Porsche museum
*Didn't drive on the Autobahn
*Didn't drive to the Nurburgring
*Didn't go see a soccer match

It was literally work, work, and more work. However, it was successful and I have a feeling I'll be back to Stuttgart in the future.

Anyway, I've got to figure out how to remove the cruise control and the A/C system. The linkage at the throttle pedal has me stymied-- can't figure out how to disconnect the cruise control cable from the linkage to get it removed. Very difficult to work in there.

As for the A/C, I've never worked on the A/C on any car before. I suppose I need the proper equipment in order to capture the refrigerant as I discharge the system so as to save the ozone layer and prevent global warming and all that.

Well, while I'm figuring those little problems out, I can get to work on the water pump.

Here's some pics of the current state of affairs...
Attached Images     
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
teamking
Pro

Well, thought I would resurrect this thread with an update...

The 944 Cup folks had a contest to give away two free HPDE days at VIR this past weekend. I found out on Friday the 13th that I had won!

I had made no progress on the car since the above pictures were taken, so that gave me exactly seven days to prepare the car. It was a frantic week!

I did the following to the car:
New brake lines
New brake pads
New brake fluid
Fixed water leak
Fixed oil leak
Mounted different front tires
Tied down the loose cabling
Reconnected the throttle hardware
Reinstalled the s/r sensor bracket
Changed oil/filter
Fabricated a mount for the gauge cluster
Fabricated a camera mount
Strapped the muffler to the exhaust hanger

In the end, the dream was realized! The car made it to VIR! It is now, officially, a track car!

Many, many thanks to the Dave Derecola and the 944 Cup folks for getting me motivated to get the car ready, for the generosity for the two days at the track, and for the cameraderie during the weekend. Great group of guys! Great cars! Great track!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamking
Well, thought I would resurrect this thread with an update...

The 944 Cup folks had a contest to give away two free HPDE days at VIR this past weekend. I found out on Friday the 13th that I had won!

I had made no progress on the car since the above pictures were taken, so that gave me exactly seven days to prepare the car. It was a frantic week!

I did the following to the car:
New brake lines
New brake pads
New brake fluid
Fixed water leak
Fixed oil leak
Mounted different front tires
Tied down the loose cabling
Reconnected the throttle hardware
Reinstalled the s/r sensor bracket
Changed oil/filter
Fabricated a mount for the gauge cluster
Fabricated a camera mount
Strapped the muffler to the exhaust hanger

In the end, the dream was realized! The car made it to VIR! It is now, officially, a track car!

Many, many thanks to the Dave Derecola and the 944 Cup folks for getting me motivated to get the car ready, for the generosity for the two days at the track, and for the cameraderie during the weekend. Great group of guys! Great cars! Great track!
Awesome! Simply outstanding
Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
I found out on Friday the 13th that I had won!
Nice! Friday the 13th was your lucky day
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome!

BTW -- if you haven't figured it out yet, the refrigerant in that car's AC system is probably long gone by now.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by KLR
That's awesome!

BTW -- if you haven't figured it out yet, the refrigerant in that car's AC system is probably long gone by now.
Yeah, you're probably right. The A/C certainly wasn't functional.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Well I just read thru 17 pages and not heard one horror story of this car that set for a while. This is good to hear and for the people that always chirp papers and documents ans so forth, see there can be a great car at the end of a flowerpot resurrection...lol.

Did you ever fix the front fender? If not you can shoot it over the shop here!

And just outa curiosity have you ever did a compression test on this engine?? If so what was it?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
teamking
Pro

Hey-- that would be great! I may take you up on that sometime! Where are you located??? I'm just west of Charlottesville.

And you're right... I really should check the compression sometime, just to know. It's gotta be pretty good though, the motor really is strong. I think with as little as has been wrong with this car, I really have been lucky!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

North Va is the town I am in south of you. Just off the West Point exit on 64 like 30 miles from there. you have an idea?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

I am pretty much EXACTLY half way from where you are to Va Beach VA.

Quick Reply: My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo