Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

west coast porsche gathering

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:58 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default west coast porsche gathering

Anyone know if there are going to be any porsche related gathering such as the 944fest here on the left coast?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:19 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you stand facing south, then 944fest will be towards the left coast.

There's Sharktoberfest, the annual 928 gathering which is in SoCal (Anaheim, I think). Guess what month that's in.

Other than that, I think there's only small gatherings now and again.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you try to organize anything on the west coast (I have) you'll run into a lot of barriers including venue cost, insurance (if you're considering a track event), etc. Don't even think of using the word "fest" anywhere in the name of your event either or else Dan will threaten to sue you like he did with me. Don't even think of having a bunch of 944s show up at Sharktober fest to celebrate with their watercooled bretheren or you'll be called a "party crasher" and similarly chastised by holier-than-thou 928 guys profiteering off the event like they did with me. I've pretty much accepted that the likelihood of a large event on the west coast is never going to happen and the venue for 944fest will likely never be changed from Ohio, so effectively half the 944s in the country are shut out. I guess that's just their way of saying we're not welcome - in not so many words.

Stick to the small drive events - they're plenty fun enough. Sorry to sound so jaded, but I was disappointed (perhaps "disgusted" is a better word) by a lot of the attitude I got in trying to organize such an event. Even only at a very conceptual level too. Likely it would cost you a helluva lot of money out-of-pocket to set it up as well. . . You'll eventually be confronted with the "what-to-charge-for-admission-to-cover-costs" issue and immediately you'll be accused of trying to make a buck off it.

Other than that, good luck.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

It really doesn't matter if Dan doesn't like the name or not. If Dan thinks he has 'fest' locked up he better sue Germany for that small thing called October Fest. The time will come when us left coasters will quit arguing about where to hold it? can we combine it with track days? or who has to drive the farthest? We can't even get Bay Area folks to attend a simple Fun Run on some of the best uncrowded driving roads California has to offer. The time will come when "Renn Fest West" (sue me!) is a reality. Until that time I think I'll focus on a large all German car show this September being set up by a local Rennlister.

http://www.deutschesmotorfest.com/

There's that pesky 'Fest' word again. Thank heavens Johnny Cockroach is dead or we'd be toast.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Maybe we should just all get together at Hot August Nights in Reno. Pretty damn cool event - lots of hot rods, etc. A buddy of mine takes his restored '57 Chevy up there every year. It'd be kinda' cool if a bunch of 944s showed up. Probably wouldn't be the stars of the show, but it'd still be fun and we'd get to see a bunch of other enthusiasts - albeit more from the 50s/60s era.

http://www.hotaugustnights.net/
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

http://www.deutschesmotorfest.com/

I may attend this event,
anyone from the central caost looking to go for a drive or anything (my only local porsche buddy 933turbo moved away )
Old 05-16-2006, 06:54 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DanAllen944
Anyone know if there are going to be any porsche related gathering such as the 944fest here on the left coast?
The Porsche Parade will be held in Porland Oregon soon.Although registration is full, you can still go, but not participate in events.
There will be hundreds...at least 600, as my registration # was more than 600.

http://www.pca.org/parade/2006/
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

i

MIGHT

be working something out.

MAYBE..

something central-coast, maybe south of monterey.......

just

MAYBE.

(this is next year at BEST)

until then, i might be trying to set up more bay area runs as the weather clears.

Steve's got a lock on the Sierra runs....( speaking of which, i'm still waiting for Berryessa, man! )

but my last run got a pretty good gathering of people together, and it was the first one that i put on. if i'd had my way (if we'd been able to finish the roads i wanted to run) it would have been great, but some people broke down, so we cut it short.

i'm looking at early June for something in the Bay, but i'd have to work out routes and people....and food.

food is imporant....
Old 05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Juan
i

Steve's got a lock on the Sierra runs....( speaking of which, i'm still waiting for Berryessa, man! )
Brad's the guy for the Berryessa trip and I havent heard a peep from him. It's almost getting too hot for Berryessa already and there's still lots of snow in the Sierras...soon Juan soon. Set something up along the river, Valley/Bay Area GTG, meet in Rio Vista, storm Montezuma Hills Road, lunch at Ryde Island Hotel or Al The Wop's in Locke. Gee why didn't I think of that
Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Gee, i dont know steve.

you're probably scared to put miles on it

yeah, a levee run would be REALLY nice (ALWAYS a good breeze, and it's getting nice this time of year), but i dont know if the bay area/central coast cats are up to it.

oh well, if they're not, you know what i say? too bad for them!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
i

but my last run got a pretty good gathering of people together, and it was the first one that i put on. ....
If I recall correctly that was more of a cruise than a run............
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm going to Cal Poly next semester, you guys can all meet me there in San Luis Obispo, and have something.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andial951
If I recall correctly that was more of a cruise than a run............

all those cars breaking slowed me down!

it couldnt be helped!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

As for central coast runs, I'd love to do an overnighter in SLO, how about mid-late october, as I'll be busy with Deutsches Motorfest through Sept. I have carnal knowledge of most of SLO county's back roads and love going down there.

*shameless plug*
Deutsches Motorfest will be a ton of fun. We'll have live music (Mumbo Gumbo is pencilled in to play), and lots of food, beer, and local wine. I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but all the proceeds from food, and beverage sales will be going to support the Kiwanis Family House. There will be lots of vendors and lots sweet cars with fun awards.

www.deutschesmotorfest.com
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I'm going to Cal Poly next semester, you guys can all meet me there in San Luis Obispo, and have something.
Party at Eyal's place this fall!!!

Quick Reply: west coast porsche gathering