Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

west coast porsche gathering

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006 | 01:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Legoland951
... I was just talking to Sean about possibly fronting the money to rent the track out and getting people to go out there and drive. ...
This may seem harsh, but I would never attend such an event.

Holding track event is not an easy thing to do. It takes lots of effort and resources. Things like corner workers, ambulance, and instructors for noobs are required to keep things safe. For that reason I am not a fan of "a bunch of guys renting the track" kind of track days. I feel it is so much easier just to show up en-mass to track day sponsored by groups like NASA, PCA or many of the other groups that routinely do that sort of thing. Most would gladly welcome 20-40 new drivers to the mix.

Back years ago before I built my race car I tracked my 88 Turbo S. It was then and still is my "nice" Porsche. Not quite pristine, but I never wanted to beat it up. However doing autocross and DE days gave me so much more enjoyment than had I been "afraid". Over the years as I wanted to push harder I changed my weapon to a more "disposable" type as track days became a significant part of my enjoyable Porsche ownership experience.

I have been VERY happy I decided to take the risk on the track.
Old 05-19-2006 | 02:12 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

My understanding is you pay a fee for the ambulance and its mandatory. You have to hire corner workers and there are plenty of instructors but you have to pay them for instruction if you are a noob. Tracks like Willow Springs won't let a bunch of yahoos run around without these provisions. As far as supplying transponders and other optional equiipment and have a tech on site, I have not looked into yet.
Old 05-20-2006 | 12:35 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
while all of the 944 guys around here like to talk about doing a track day, very few of them actually intend to participate...
Let me know about the day and Wrecksimple03 and I will be there if we can. Had lots of people ask about AX but have only seen a few others turn up. We need more 944's at the AX's !
Old 05-20-2006 | 01:08 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

I like running AutoX, but I can't stand all the waiting around. Personally, I'd rather spend a bit more money to get more time behind the wheel at a track day.

I'd love to have a track day just for Rennlisters. But realistically, organizing an event like that is going to be a nightmare. Getting a group buy organized among us is a huge headache -- I'd imagine organizing a track day to be five times more of a headache. Various track event groups around here ( Speed Trials, Hooked on Driving, Speed Ventures ) basically started off as a bunch of friends wanting to have a track day of their own and ended up opening up the event to the public to get enough drivers.

I think the best way to organize a track day for Rennlisters is to hook up with one of these groups, and see if we can do a 'group buy'. They've already done all the legwork, and we don't need to reinvent the wheel. Maybe we can get a whole run group to ourselves....

An an aside, I just signed up for the NASA event in Buttonwillow on June 10/11. I'll be in the 'so slow I need supervision' group (HPDE 1) -- and I guess 944spec guys are supposed to be there as well. Who else wants to go?
Old 05-20-2006 | 01:23 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I was at the Alameda Point autox........and I'm intending to do the next. In my defense my car really hasnt been up to track or autox events until recently.....but now that it is running well i do intend to do both......plus Chris wont stop harassing me...lol

Last edited by Andial951; 05-20-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2006 | 01:32 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Originally Posted by Andial951
but know that it is running well i do intend to do both......plus Chris wont stop harassing me...lol
Hey -- there's money involved now! You'd better do a track event -- you shook your hands on it.
Old 05-20-2006 | 02:10 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Joseph, I still need to do some work on my 944 but there is a very good possibility we can both go. Kelly Chiu went with me last time and may be interested in going again in his miata.
Old 05-20-2006 | 04:54 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Andial951
I was at the Alameda Point autox........and I'm intending to do the next. In my defense my car really hasnt been up to track or autox events until recently.....but now that it is running well i do intend to do both......plus Chris wont stop harassing me...lol

there is one way to shut me up. stop talking about street racing civics and show up at the track!

and like joe said, there is money on the table now.
Old 05-20-2006 | 05:03 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chris luckett
while all of the 944 guys around here like to talk about doing a track day, very few of them actually intend to participate...
hey hey heyyyyy! thats cause the damn 944 is never track ready. I have done about 10 events in other cars though. Damn I've been off the track for a few months now, if I don't get at least 3 events in this summer, I'm going to cry. My civic engine is going in soon, and then I'll have a trackable car. The 951, never that confident it will make it home, yet I keep throwing **** at it.
Old 05-20-2006 | 05:07 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

http://redlinetrackevents.com/

I run with those guys a lot. Prices are very affordable, they are same, and the environment is freindly and nice.
Next Streets event is June 16th, thats the perfect track for all you beginers, and only 120 for a full day (and you get lots of time with these guys) I'd recomend the instruction if its one of your first times. I know the instructor personally, and Jeremy (who races a CRX in Honda challenge H4) is a great guy.
Old 05-20-2006 | 05:18 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JerryW
Let me know about the day and Wrecksimple03 and I will be there if we can. Had lots of people ask about AX but have only seen a few others turn up. We need more 944's at the AX's !

The issue is more fundamental than picking a day. The people that talk about how great it would be to have a "rennlist track day" are not regular track drivers and underestimate the complexities of organizing such an event. In the meantime, those who are serious about it are already out there driving on the track while the others are driving their computers dreaming of their "rennlist track day".

I saw Claus Groth, Marlon, and a SoCal spec944 guy at Sears Point a couple of weekends ago.

Dmitri, Joe and I will be at Thunderhill this Mon.

NASA is at Thunderhill May 27/28.

BMWCCA is st Buttonwillow June 2.
PCA is at Buttonwillow June3/4.

I just signed up and Joe is wait listed for the PCA event at Sears Point on June 5th. Still open on advanced group. http://www.coastaldriving.org/

As Joe said, NASA is at Buttonwillow June 10/11. I'll probably sign up for this one also.

NCRC is at Buttonwillow June 17/18.

As you can see, it is possible to be at the track almost every weekend. And for a "rennlist track day" all it takes is picking a date reasonably far enough in the future to have openings and/or talk with the organizers to set aside some slots. Or even underwrite an event with another organizer. Much simpler that trying to rent the track exclusively.

The root of the deficiency in having a "rennlist track day" is the lack of drivers serious about doing a track day.

BTW, since there will be three of us at Thunderhill on Mon., I am declaring that an official "rennlist track day".
Old 05-20-2006 | 05:27 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

about a year ago, a lot of rennlisters decided to show up to a buttonwillow event with speed ventures. Though it was quite crowded, I still had a great time (in an integra) though there were a couple crashes (none were porsches)
My first event was with Trackquest at buttowillow (full weekend) it was almost exclusively rennlisters.
Old 05-20-2006 | 05:39 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I should clarify that I'm speaking specifically about the 924/944/951/968 'listers in my area.
Old 05-20-2006 | 06:16 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

yea, 944 guys don't hit the track much. I would like to have my 951 on track this summer, but we'll see. Though that doesn;t keep me away.
Old 05-20-2006 | 11:26 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

I would be willing to participate, the qualifier is that the 944 stays at home... I bought a Miata to beat the crap out of and wad into a ball as necessary.

The logisitics of setting up a track event are daunting. I am not sure how insurance is covered, but that must be a siginificant cost, or it can be handled via wavers. Hiring corner workers could be difficult too... then there is the human tendency to flake. You would have to have enough people signed up in advance to cover the cost of insurance, track rental fees, ambulance, wrecker, etc. This is not even accounting for the gas costing $3.50 and the long ***-drive out to the sticks where tracks are.

Quick Reply: west coast porsche gathering