Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

west coast porsche gathering

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:26 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure dan, you welcome people from Colorado, Florida, Michigan and Austrailia, but we know that no SoCal people are welcome. I believe it was on the banner.....:P
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nice.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I guess I should add a couple smilies to my posts as it was taken the wrong way, Dan knows what I'm talking about. Jeff opened a can of worms and I just played along. No disrepect was meant or implied about the 'Fest' trademark. Dan does a great service in providing this annual venue and I'm sure it is no simple task to organize. My comments were made to the fact that no one has ever stepped up and done the same for the West Coast. Face it, Ohio is a long way to drive for a weekend event. I tried once and the whole thing turned into competing interests with grandiose plans...once it's past the' keep it simple' stage I give up. We can't rent Laguna Seca, we can't make everyone's drive the same distance, and we certainly can't please enough people to make it happen. I now reserve my input to local runs and that's fine, it doesn't matter how many show up or not...we just have a good time and share the same interests.. driving fast and lying about our cars!

I hope this years 944fest is even better than the great ones I've been reading about for years.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe an apology is in order. Dan is certainly in the right to be angry. As a matter of fact, I'm angry about the comments made - on this public forum.

The 944fest was started as a friendly, non-judgemental gathering of 944 owners for some good food, a few adult beverages and water-cooled Porsche comradarie - something that was lacking with the local clubs. It has grown into quite an event with a lot of moving parts and attendees from around the country. Through it all, Dan has put up all the money for the event (at a significant loss), planned it, hosted it, and ask nothing of the participants except to have a good time. If you've been to one, you would know this.

The comments made by Jeff were out of line, incorrect, and need to be recended.

If you want to have your own 944Fest-like party go for it- who cares what you call it. I recommend using the same format though. Start small with a cook-out in your back yard. If the guys & gals like it and have a good time, more will come next year. Before you know it Travis will be doing donuts in the parking lot.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

LOL!!!!

You guys CRACK ME UP!!! Dan, Chip, Hilarious!!!

Thanks, Guys!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I guess I should add a couple smilies to my posts as it was taken the wrong way, Dan knows what I'm talking about. Jeff opened a can of worms and I just played along. No disrepect was meant or implied about the 'Fest' trademark. Dan does a great service in providing this annual venue and I'm sure it is no simple task to organize. My comments were made to the fact that no one has ever stepped up and done the same for the West Coast. Face it, Ohio is a long way to drive for a weekend event. I tried once and the whole thing turned into competing interests with grandiose plans...once it's past the' keep it simple' stage I give up. We can't rent Laguna Seca, we can't make everyone's drive the same distance, and we certainly can't please enough people to make it happen. I now reserve my input to local runs and that's fine, it doesn't matter how many show up or not...we just have a good time and share the same interests.. driving fast and lying about our cars!

I hope this years 944fest is even better than the great ones I've been reading about for years.

Steve, dont act like you'd go out to Ohio for a weekend trip. you have a problem with going to the bay area for a "day trip"

*sigh*

i guess as we get on in age, we like to stay closer to home!

hey, esteban, look for a PM in a bit....
Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 PM
M758
Race Director

If you guys want track time you can pick a place/date the lines up with NASA 944 spec race.

You can watch the 944 spe races and do a DE all at the same time.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
SS 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chipster
I believe an apology is in order. Dan is certainly in the right to be angry. As a matter of fact, I'm angry about the comments made - on this public forum.

The 944fest was started as a friendly, non-judgemental gathering of 944 owners for some good food, a few adult beverages and water-cooled Porsche comradarie - something that was lacking with the local clubs. It has grown into quite an event with a lot of moving parts and attendees from around the country. Through it all, Dan has put up all the money for the event (at a significant loss), planned it, hosted it, and ask nothing of the participants except to have a good time. If you've been to one, you would know this.

The comments made by Jeff were out of line, incorrect, and need to be recended.

If you want to have your own 944Fest-like party go for it- who cares what you call it. I recommend using the same format though. Start small with a cook-out in your back yard. If the guys & gals like it and have a good time, more will come next year. Before you know it Travis will be doing donuts in the parking lot.
I totally agree that Dan is due a public apology since the unwarranted slander was done publicly. I attended my 1st 944fest last year and THANKS to Dan, his unselfishness, dedication to the love of the 944, his extreme hard work, unrecouped personal financial losses (that are staggering to me), and fellow enthusiasts, coming together for an event that gets bigger and bigger. I also agree that if you want to have you own "fest", or gtg, that is great. I think this entire post is despicable for the insults, attacks, and slander that was pointed at Dan. After the extreme work involved, he was so burnt out after last years 944fest, he stated he needed to take time out this year for his family and wouldn't be hosting it again. But...

I ran into Dan a few years ago at an aviation event in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and he talked about his 944 and some 944 fest. I had never owned a German car before, but Winter 2004-05 I began a quest for my own 944. I had not spoken to Dan in a few years since the aviation event, but I found his ph number and called him up to pick his brain and glean information from the only 944 owner I knew to aid in purchasing the one for me. We also exchanged email address. For about 3 months, I searched classifieds, called Dan, emailed Dan, received advice from him, test drove a few cars, called Dan some more, emailed Dan some more. Even got a "hot tip" on a sorted car Dan heard about through a friend of his. Dan took the time to search classifieds too, and he knew of Porsche links etc, he sent my way that I would have had no inkling about if not for him. I finally made my purchase on a 86 951. Driving back from PA to near St. Louis with my 1st Porsche, Dan even called me to see if I had made the purchase as this one seemed like "the one" before I had departed.

I couldn't ask for any better help than what Dan gave me. He's an enthusiast, and he likes to help others, and see others have a good time which is why he dumps his heart and soul into the 944 fest which is what it has grown to what it is today.

Yes, an apology is in order.

Scott Sellers
Old 05-18-2006, 12:24 PM
SS 951
Racer

When I first purchased my car, Dan took the time and searched prior Rennlist topics concerning a couple minor issues with my car. In fact, I didn't even know PCA or Rennlist existed, but thanks to Dan, I joined both after I bought my car!

Kudos again "Dan the Man"

Scott Sellers
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
If you guys want track time you can pick a place/date the lines up with NASA 944 spec race.

You can watch the 944 spe races and do a DE all at the same time.
while all of the 944 guys around here like to talk about doing a track day, very few of them actually intend to participate...
Old 05-18-2006, 03:55 PM
M758
Race Director

That seems to be true.
I rarely if ever see any rennlister at local track events.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My excuse is school. I'd rather earn a scholarship to grad school than improve my track times. I'll be a socal lister soon, so I feel the '944fest is too far' anguish, but I have enough fun at the funruns and local gtgs.

If we want to get something big going, I'll do what I can to help! Like someone above said, let's start kinda small as far as events, but let the aim be to get a lot of people from different locations to show up. Please forgive my ignorance, those of you who have been to the great 944 fest. I've never had the luxury of attending, so I'm not sure what goes on there. I take it there's lots of food, track driving, showing of cars, parts swapping, etc. Maybe we can just shoot for a BBQ/picnic day, just for the sake of assembling all the western 944s in one place?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to host local BBQs with small groups of people of about 10 to 15. Now my yard is full and will be cleared within 3 months so we can continue with the local get togethers. It is true not many rennlisters even been to the track let alone So Cal people. There are lots more autocrossers but not many actually go to the tracks.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Legoland951
It is true not many rennlisters even been to the track let alone So Cal people. There are lots more autocrossers but not many actually go to the tracks.
Not many autocrossers here either. Most seem to afraid to drive their cars like that or too afraid for everyone to see how slow driver they really are. In fact I believe is feeling is quite common among many of the 951 "big hp" crowd
Old 05-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not that great of a driver but I can steer fairly well with either end of the car. However, the general fear for most people even outside of the 944 crowd will be messing up their prestine car's cosmetic condition, not knowing how to fix what they break/don't have parts, not having the money to participate, or just lack *****. Its easy to talk big as we all know the internet warrior culture. I was just talking to Sean about possibly fronting the money to rent the track out and getting people to go out there and drive. Its sad but we believed its impossible to get enough people with 944s only so it will probably be open to all if we can get this going.

Quick Reply: west coast porsche gathering