Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child car seat - anyone installed one recently?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:48 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Child car seat - anyone installed one recently?

Hi folks,

I need to install a child seat in my 944S2 Coupe (which should be very similar to a 968 Coupe):

* It's for my daughter (21-months old, 24-lbs in weight)
* Forward facing
* Installed in the rear seat (I don't want to disable the front airbags)
* She's too small for "booster" seats

I was wondering if anyone has recently done the same thing, and can recommend a specific model?

I know that some models have been recommended here in the past, but the child car seat industry turns over its products so fast that you often can't find them anymore.

So I'm particularly interested if anyone has recent experience installing one of these things...

TIA.

Karl.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Karl,

There are very few car seats that fit in the back. The only one I was able to verify myself was the car seat from Porsche. I decided not to get it when I heard there was a recall on it. The problem lies in the way child seats are flat bottomed. I have thought seriously of removing the bottom off one and I bet it would fit perfectly. I think it would function as it should as your only removing the base and in effect offering a tighter fit. My daughter has now graduated to the "Turbo" booster and sits in the front now with seats all the way back and airbag enabled.
When she was younger, I put my daughter in the front of my 86 N/A (without airbags of course). She walked away from our head on accident scratch free and happy!

~Clint
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2005, 12:36 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 324 Posts

Oh man... thank heavens you both escaped that crash without injury.

Karl.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
Hi Karl,

There are very few car seats that fit in the back. The only one I was able to verify myself was the car seat from Porsche. I decided not to get it when I heard there was a recall on it. The problem lies in the way child seats are flat bottomed. I have thought seriously of removing the bottom off one and I bet it would fit perfectly. I think it would function as it should as your only removing the base and in effect offering a tighter fit. My daughter has now graduated to the "Turbo" booster and sits in the front now with seats all the way back and airbag enabled.
When she was younger, I put my daughter in the front of my 86 N/A (without airbags of course). She walked away from our head on accident scratch free and happy!

~Clint
Are you the one that got knocked out and forgot the accident and such fairly recently? Thats a hell of an accident there.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Gear Dog
Instructor

I had a basic graco (the back up car seat) that fit in the back although I considered cutting the bottom for a better fit in the car. But by doing that I would basically only work in the Porsche. I also used the anchor straps and found a spot in the frame under the rug to connect to. This helped secure the top part of the car seat from tipping forward.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Are you the one that got knocked out and forgot the accident and such fairly recently? Thats a hell of an accident there.
Yeah...that's me!

I still don't remember the accident but with the help of rennlist and an attorney, I was able to prove to the insurance company it was not my fault!

No increase for me!!

~Clint
Old 09-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yay! good work!

my 924S has 2 built in child seats... they're behind the driver's seat and passenger's seat...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:31 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Go to a "better" store and explain what you want. Then trot the display modles out and give them a try.

21mo is way to small for the "built-in" child seats. I use them for my six-year old.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:08 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a decent solution back when my kids needed a forward facing seat. I converted the rears to manual belts from an older 911. Then I found a seat with a curved bottom that fit perfectly in the existing rear seat and had a large solid handle at the top that stuck up just above the rear headrest. This was the perfect seat so I bought two.

I then took two of the extra strap retraints that come with the seats for tether mounts in newer cars and tied one end through the handle (strap had a sewn in loop for making a slip knot) and the other clipped into the hard points in the trunk. The straps were adjustable and I tightened both of them from the open rear hatch after the child was strapped in. The manual rear seat belts went across the front of the seat to keep the bottom of the seat secure and the 5-point harness was also on. Child had basically a 7-point restraint system. It wasn't quick to put them in but they were not coming out either.

Now that they are bigger, I switched to a manual 3-point harness adjusted tightly for each child. Works well for the 2-mile ride to the school.

Quick Reply: Child car seat - anyone installed one recently?