Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get gas now

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 37 miles one way to work. It hasn't been bad in the bimmer getting ~27mpg, but it does take premium. I started "blending" 1 part 87 and 2 parts 93 to make 91 and save a couple bucks per fillup (Costco only sells 87 and 93, and their 93 costs the same as 89 at the pumps down the street). Still the last fillup was just over $40. I go through that in about 4 days considering the 72 mile round trip to work plus at least 15-20 miles/day in errands or whatever. SE Michigan is spread really far apart.

I'm liking the idea of a grease car more and more every day...

http://greasecar.com/

A newer model VW or Audi TDI with "free" fuel would be pretty sweet.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
Sounds like commie talk to me. Whatever happened to the law of supply and demand down there?
check earlier in the thread. It was discussed.
If you can't afford gas, you shouldn't be driving.
This is highly unrealistic. Is this just a troll? Or are you serious?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:23 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Peckster isn't really trolling, he says the things that often times are in the back of my head but I am hesitant to type with the keyboard. I like to think of him as the sarcastic conscience of Rennlist. I usually enjoy the levity that he brings to the discussion.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Oops, forgot they don't sell the Audi TDIs over here. I guess I could do an engine swap. I like Audis about 100000x more than VWs.

Still, about $5k for a good condition VW TDI...

And another couple hundred for the greasecar conversion. Not a bad option. I think it'd be a pain to have to hunt down and handle all that used grease though. But it is free.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$3.18/87 yesterday

Old 08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like commie talk to me. Whatever happened to the law of supply and demand down there?

If you can't afford gas, you shouldn't be driving.
it still exists.

we demand, they supply, we take it in the shorts.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Diesel being .40 more expensive than gas, I doubt the better fuel economy of diesels will help much. BTW, Jeff, you need this plate.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:39 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

It will help when the "diesel" is $3.50 a gallon LESS than gasoline...

http://greasecar.com/

...convert any diesel car into a used french fry oil burning car.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diesel being .40 more expensive than gas, I doubt the better fuel economy of diesels will help much. BTW, Jeff, you need this plate.
Wow, you guys are getting raped. Diesel up here is 20 cents a gallon LESS than regular and in Texas it was even less.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

In many U.S. cities, for less money than a new McMansion or Tyvek Palace in the suburbs, one can buy a house in the city, thoroughly modernize it, and build a nice garage. If you work downtown, now you are a quick walk from a bus line, and less than 10 miles from work. Your cars have a cozy home, and you don't have an acre of grass to mow. The grocery store, bank, post office, etc. are all walking distance. No eyesore of 5-7 lane mega boulevards lined with ugly box chain stores.

Yet people continue to move farther out to the suburbs.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Maybe in beautiful dowtown Toledo. In downtown Chicago (or near my office for that matter) the same 200K wont buy you a 1 bedroom 700 sq foot apartment.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What are suburbs? The whole county is a "city" for probably 100 miles in all directions all the way out to Riverside county to the east, Orange county to the south, and Ventura county to the North. The only way to go is into the ocean. Also, 2 bedroom houses in the "city" are cheap at around $400k for a 40 year old house needing work and you are lucky if you hear less than 5 gunshots every night. Everyone living around there know the safest place to sleep is in the cast iron bathtub but still it won't stop a AK47 7.62x39.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
check earlier in the thread. It was discussed.

This is highly unrealistic. Is this just a troll? Or are you serious?
If you look up "Sarcastic" in a Websters, it says "See Peckster at Rennlist"
Old 08-29-2005, 06:04 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Diesel powered cars are getting more and more popular over here. Mainly because diesel is cheaper than gas. Diesel engines don't sound like they used to and the massive low-end torque is excellent for stop-and-go traffic. I looked at a Volvo estate yesterday. 65mpg (highway) isn't bad milage, now is it?
Looks like this will be our next family car.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
I think that the oil companies are already doing this to us. I seem to recall that as the oil companies merged with each other, it typically resulted in refinery closing, which reduced the supply, and thereby increased the price. If I recall my college economics, should this price raising continue, an independant refiner / distributor would enter the market, increase the competition and supply, and reduce the market price.

Only problem is that the cost of entry into this industry is in the billions, and that high cost is keeping other potentially competing corporations out of the market.True enough. I just hope that it's not going to have a severe depressive effect on the over all economy until it re-adjusts itself.
I'd agree with this, except there's been no new refining capacity added to the U.S. since 1968 or something like that (forget the exact year). This has two implications - one, every LOSS of refinery capacity drives prices (and dependancy on foreign production) up. Two, it means the existing facilities are antiquated. Drive through Wilmington or Carson (north of the Port of L.A. / Long Beach sometime and you'll see (and smell) what I mean). There IS currently some effort to add an LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) terminal, but that just brings the NIMBYs out of the woodwork and I'll be suprised if it becomes a reality without major concessions.

OIL (as in crude) refineries? I dunno where you'd put one (or propose to). You'd end up with a firestorm of controversy wherever you proposed.

Matt, Houston is a really interesting case and you're right - I just tend to think that SOME zoning>over-zoning / militant zoning (like here)>no zoning at all.

Quick Reply: Get gas now