Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get gas now

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I really hope this doesn't degrade into another SUV-bashing thread. That will get me heated and pissed off real quick-like.

I am not going to justify, again, my reasons for why an SUV is need for my work, life, family, and hobbies. If I have to do that, I expect every 944 driver on this BBS to convince me why they "need" their car and aren't driving a Honda Hybrid or Echo instead.
I was trying to lean it in the direction of conspiracy theorist
Old 08-31-2005, 05:22 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bashing at all. Just hoping the US realizes it's responsibility to itself as a whole.
If you choose to drive an SUV, thats your choice. It's a free country.

I'm just predicting the resale values will drop thru the basemant for these vehicles. - and then you can buy a newer one for less.
thats all.
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
I was trying to lean it in the direction of conspiracy theorist

Is there a gas station with cheaper gas on the other side of your grassy knoll?
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF, just went to the local convience store and Regulare is $3.27 a gallon and people are literally driving into each other to get to the pumps.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

david fracolli : Location: Hell

That says it all- It must be very difficult and expensive to get a flammable liquid down there..
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Is there a gas station with cheaper gas on the other side of your grassy knoll?

The book depository was actually an H2o fuel processing plant. They were going to release the first water powered engine on that fateful day in Dallas with the President on hand to introduce the dawning of the age of Aquarius...the age of Aquarius.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:34 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I can get all the flammable liquid I want.....the only catch is that he won't let me my Porsche.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"I heard it was a lone gunman"
---X

(X-files fans like me will get the reference)
Old 08-31-2005, 05:43 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Why is that? The higher price of gas should do that on its own. I would weed out the people who are already above their means with the Yukon or Armada, who can't afford $100 fill-ups. Those people would drive less and/or get a different vehicle. I think that would be more effective, because it would hit them everytime they go to the pump verses once per year. Plus, for the ordinary passenger car drivers, it would make them think smarter about their trips and driving/carpool habits.

And if you think non-comm trucks and SUV's are the culprits for the roads being worn out and crested, you are a bit incorrect there. It is the commercial vehicles that degrade the road surface at an alarming rate.
Ugh...I will bash SUV's on my own time. My uber-liberal friends are always more than happy to go down that path. My logic, though, is that society can choose to discourage people from making choices that lead to lessened national security, greater pollution, great gridlock, etc. The free market encourages this over time, while penalizing someone yearly or at the time of purchase creates more immediate changes.

As for the road use issue, studies have been done showing that the rise of SUV's has accelerated the deterioration of roads and, further, that they make traffic worse and driving more dangerous for people that are not sitting 8 feet above the road. If I can find them, I will post links.

If 60% of the vehicles driving on a given road weigh approximately 4500 lbs the road will wear out faster than if 60% of the vehicles weigh approximately 2500 lbs. I remember enough of my engineering classes to see the logic there...
Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
"I heard it was a lone gunman"
---X

(X-files fans like me will get the reference)
X-files....was that the show with the T-1000 in it
After Duchovny left...

Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
cwigg66
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

On a related issue, here in Peachtree City, GA (just south of Atlanta) gas prices are high (well over $3/gal). The crazy thing is that the gas stations are rationing fuel. There is a $25 limit at most stations and the lines are very long. Craziness. I am converting the P-car to run on paper... then I can just shove my money in the gas tank and avoid the long lines at the gas stations. This sucks.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

WHA?? a 25$ limit on gas??
Thats like.. 5 gallons..
Old 08-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What makes no sense to me is ALL pickup trucks have to pay commercial rate in California for registration (weight fees). Even a compact pickup like a toyota tacoma has that fee where the escalade or hummer does not. The difference for a 10 year old vehicle comes out to $140 for the compact truck and $43 for the full size SUV in registration. Its the reason why I sold my f150 and got a bronco as a tow vehicle. I don't believe SUVs are a problem to national security, gridlock, or greater pollution than a truck since they are from the same platform. I vote for a mandatory national bicycle day to work for anyone working within 5 miles of their home (excluding disabled people, not excluding "disabled" people because they are too fat). BTW, the alternative is to get a vehicle shown in my avatar. 45 MPG with the same amount of HP as a n/a 944 totaling around 500 pounds.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
. . . . . 45 MPG with the same amount of HP as a n/a 944 totaling around 500 pounds.
Talk about a serious power to weight ratio! Very cool. My wife won't let me get one. Oh well.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I vote for a mandatory national bicycle day to work for anyone working within 5 miles of their home (excluding disabled people, not excluding "disabled" people because they are too fat).
I agree with that whole-heartedly. If for no reason other than giving people a chance to experience what it is like being on a bicycle and sharing the roads with drivers who are reckless and careless. People become brave and stupid when they are surrounded by 1-2 tons of metal and have no problems buzzing and bumping cyclists. Put them on the receiving end for a day and they may just get a clue. Well, that, and the side benefit is they may actually enjoy it and then get their azzes off the couch and actually excercise.

Quick Reply: Get gas now