Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get gas now

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Try riding a bike around town in the L. A. area to work. I think your life expectancy will be cut to half since you are very likely to end up under some 20 inch tires of a hummer with the driver on the phone and not even know you were there. Narrow lanes with big vehicles (no bike lanes), lots of vehicle with drivers on the cell phone, unskilled drivers/unlicensed drivers, thousands of semis from the Port of L. A., along with boneheads in general are just some of the hazards. Every cent of gas going up in price means billions of dollars of profit in someone's pocket. I am sure the Saudi's are loving life right now along with all members of OPEC including ourself (government) since we acquired Iraq. Its amazing how a 944 costs $50 a tank for cheap gas. I guess we will see exactly how necessary these SUVs with chrome spinners running around L. A. are.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:42 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 10 mile ride for me also, My only problem with riding to work is that I have to be here at 6:30
But I still rode 2 days last week, will probably get in 2 days this week also.
Shoot, just riding 2 days a week makes a a nice cut in the gas bill.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they did a price check on gas in the Middle East not too long ago. To the surveyor's amazement, including those who read the article, prices were that of the 1980s: $0.85-0.95 per gallon approximately. Dunno if that still stands now or not...
I was living in Saudi Arabia when the gas prices doubled (1995). People were going nuts over this doubling...the price? 36 cents a gallon. I could fill my Caprice Classic for 2.50 when I moved there in 1993. It cost a whopping 5 bucks when I left

Jeff, I know the station you mean but I dont drive by there often. For comparison, gas in my burb is usually the cheapest in Chicago and I paid 2.73 for Regular and 3.09 for Premium. When I was downtown last weekend regular was running about 3.19 on average and I saw 3.69 for Premium more than once.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
. . . For comparison, gas in my burb is usually the cheapest in Chicago and I paid 2.73 for Regular and 3.09 for Premium. When I was downtown last weekend regular was running about 3.19 on average and I saw 3.69 for Premium more than once.
Capitalistic situational profiteeing at it's best! God bless America.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Yeah, we have showers at work. We also have cleaning and laundry service so sometimes my clothes are wrinkle free and ready for me. Or pack the clothes, no problem.

I wouldn't ride my bicycle in LA that is for sure! Mountain View here in the Bay Area has signs saying "bicycle friendly" and all. Most of the drivers are begining to acknowledge that we have the right of way and don't turn in front you. Its pretty nice.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Try riding a bike around town in the L. A. area to work. I think your life expectancy will be cut to half since you are very likely to end up under some 20 inch tires of a hummer with the driver on the phone and not even know you were there. Narrow lanes with big vehicles (no bike lanes), lots of vehicle with drivers on the cell phone, unskilled drivers/unlicensed drivers, thousands of semis from the Port of L. A., along with boneheads in general are just some of the hazards. Every cent of gas going up in price means billions of dollars of profit in someone's pocket. I am sure the Saudi's are loving life right now along with all members of OPEC including ourself (government) since we acquired Iraq. Its amazing how a 944 costs $50 a tank for cheap gas. I guess we will see exactly how necessary these SUVs with chrome spinners running around L. A. are.

Couldn't have said it better. . .

I CONSTANTLY get flamed on here for my ongoing crusade against SUVs and their idiotic (usually) owners. It's a generalization - yes, it's a stereotype - yes, but all-too-often it's correct I'm sad to say. There's something pathologically wrong with most individuals that would go out and buy a four-ton SUV anyway - especially those that use them just to drive around the flat concrete streets of Southern Cali (maybe once a year up to Big Bear to go skiing/snowboarding), ESPECIALLY those that would then "pimp out" such a ride with 24" chrome bling-bling spinner wheels and neon and 50" plasma screens and God-only-knows-what-else I see in half these things. . .

*breathes into brown paper bag*

I realize I'm getting riled up. . .

*breathes into brown paper bag*

All I'm saying is I can totally understand and relate. . . Whether in a 944, on my motorcycle or bicycling - these things are road hazards to the extreme. . . And government subsidized road hazards to boot. . .

Old 08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

PLEASE LET US NOT START THIS SUV-BASHING ****TOLLA ON HERE AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

My mom has a Mercedes ML 320 riding on silver painted factory 16" 5-spoke dubs, 3.2L V6 with MAAAAAD 215 horsepower WOO WOO, wood trim and some blinging dome lights that work great for reading. Are we eating too much gas?

I have given some thought regarding price hikes of gas as well as the history of what the government does to help the people. Has there ever been any strict regulations regarding pricing, even in the 1970s embargo???
Old 08-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I SO wish there were showers at work. . .

Distance has a lot to do with the feasibility of bicycle commuting also - if I were 10 miles or less from home, I'd absolutely do it. When I lived in West L.A. and worked in Brentwood (about 5 miles) I biked almost daily - a simple "wash up" in the lavatory before starting work was more than adequate, as Tifo said. Longer distances would necessitate a shower though. . . Unfortunately only the most progressive-minded business owners encourage bike commuting in this way and provide things like showers, racks, storage, etc. Hopefully it'll become more mainstream to the point more buildings have these resources. . .
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I SO wish there were showers at work. . .

Distance has a lot to do with the feasibility of bicycle commuting also - if I were 10 miles or less from home, I'd absolutely do it. When I lived in West L.A. and worked in Brentwood (about 5 miles) I biked almost daily - a simple "wash up" in the lavatory before starting work was more than adequate, as Tifo said. Longer distances would necessitate a shower though. . . Unfortunately only the most progressive-minded business owners encourage bike commuting in this way and provide things like showers, racks, storage, etc. Hopefully it'll become more mainstream to the point more buildings have these resources. . .
Yeah, in that respect I have been lucky. Working for various bicycle companies over the years has been good for allowing me to commute. I have never had problems keeping a bike in my office and most of my offices have had showers in the building. Right now I have a shower around the corner from my office, my bike is right here next to my desk, and there is a large locker room and changing area nearby. Traffic is the hardest thing to deal with, and that is really on the way home, as I tend to get to work early enough to beat the traffic on the way in.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Well that does raise a point of difference between European countries and the US. In the EU, mass transit is most prevelant, and typically the commute distances are short. A car is an expensive luxury.

In the US, mass transit is only prevalant in large metropolitan areas, and the commute distances are typically longer. Everything seems further apart here in the US, so that car appears to be a necessity.

I've got it lucky, as mine is under 10 miles, but generally it seems that the average commute is around 30 miles, give for take a bit (IMHO = SWAG).
Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
tomrc
Pro

This is the time when I don't mind driving my big crappy Ford company van with it's company gas card. Any gas I pay for if for personal use anyway, I just won't be doing as many hill country cruises for awhile.

On my way back from Houston to San Antonio, I had to stop for gas so I pulled into a gas station and didn't pay any attention to the price of gas there. Filled up and went inside the store to get something to drink. After I paid I got on the highway and looked at the reciept, I paid $2.79 a gallon, (this was regular) all other stations were around $2.50 and then on top of that I paid $1.99 for a can of Arizona ice tea (the ones that are suppose to be $.99). The station Sharpied out the $.99 on the can. Bastards!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, I just read that Katrina subsided to a nice, calm category 3 storm when it hit. 'Nawleens dodged a bullet, for sure.
Now I'm gunna go look at gas prices at the station across the street.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Showers at work would be impossible to have since the city is so **** about possible residing at a non residential zone. My brother in AZ calls California communfornia because you need a building permit to replace a faucet in your own house. Kelly was telling me yesterday they require a permit to paint a building in the city of Monterey Park and you also need a permit to MOVE. The lack of showers maybe due to city/county regulations instead of employer apathy. Don was also saying in L. A. county, they use current satellite pictures in an automated system to compare with county records of buildings with permits in order to detect unauthorized buildings (meaning everything including your tool shed - where is the permit for your tool shed foundation?).

I believe there should be showers at work and mandatory bike days along with bike friendly routes. That will take care of many health issues with some of the obese people and medical expenses shouldered by us. Screw the OPEC and their exploitation.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i just want to be able to get it without the lines of '73.

Quick Reply: Get gas now