Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: IS THIS REAL?
YES
83.87%
No way!
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Is this for real? Home Made Centrifugal Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peckster
What projects has he completed?
I would have to go back through his old posts. I know he turbo charged his VAN, a couple NA p cars... Running 5 or 6 psi on the stock internals and drove them daily with no issues.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:02 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I spend every single day at work helping to engineer, develop, support, and sell supercharger systems.

Forgive me because I did not read every post.

It seems plausible.

Not at all sure how he is managing fuel and boost.

Certainly would not be able to bring model specific kits to market any cheaper than anyone else has.

This guy has great ideas, the realities of marketing the product and having it well sorted so any idiot could install the kit, and having the ability to warranty the myriad of different problems that will with out a doubt occur. Oh yeah, a couple of million in product liability insurance. I think you get the idea.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Sabbath
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I know you guys at the horsepower farm know your stuff, and do superchargers. I get the impression from most of the people that posted that this guy is for real and has done various other projects. I have been reading his other posts on 924.org and he has a lot of ways to handle fuel. I get the idea that he is more than just a hobbyist, but have no idea for sure.

If I am digesting all this right, he is building a cheaper supercharger and given that the unit is cheaper and geared for smaller displacement vehicles well that gives him a niche market. That is the other centrifugal superchargers seem more for larger displacement cars.

So why would he not be able to bring something for the 924 or 944 to the market cheaper? I look at kits for other cars, like the SFR kit. I am trying to figure out what cost so much, I can see that the supercharger seems to be a big part of the cost, the units themselves seem to sell retail for near 2k new, then there is the pipes and some sort of fuel delivery system or way to increase fuel, so why does a kit cost 4K or more?

I know their must be profit in their and like in the case of the Porsche, I imagine its part market (not high demand) and part name driven profit.

I guess I am seeing it as do able the more people post. I just can’t figure out how someone makes a supercharger in their garage/shop/basement. I mean what’s he got a complete fabrication shop in his garage?

I just don’t know, I read he has an Individual throttle body setup he does, his own MAF conversion for the 944 NA, Water Injection stuff, 5th Injector stuff, his own CIS to EFI or DME to Custom EFI setup and apparently does it cheaper than even a Megasquirt and his setup has fuel and ignition control and real time tuning, then there is a Ignition upgrade for the 924, these are just some of the things he has done. I am just blown away that some guy does all this stuff in his garage…it must look like part Monster Garage and part Overhauling.

I also came across some post… with pictures of something that hinted at the idea of a head swap for the 924 or some car, could he be that good?

Doing a supercharger and head swaps to other cars. I read he did a 16v conversion to a 8v 2.2 Dodge motor and I don’t know, it hints at a head swap? stuff like Porsche designed a head for Volvo… and other stuff.

Man the guy just seems to be to much. The more I read well, the guy has to be some kind of mad scientist... or I think they call him a Boostologist or something like that.

Last edited by Sabbath; 06-17-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Sabbath
Advanced

Anyone else look into this guys other posts? Is he a member here? I see someone claiming to be part of his development team or partner posted on my Pelican post: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=225939

Hemm guess its the real deal, but horsepowerfarm might be right... if thats the case how will this guy or team of guys bring this to market at half the price or less than other kits?

They are talking a website, with other parts... all kinds of stuff... so are we about to see some kind of turn around on these cars.. especially the 924, fun to drive.. but no power.

If the build fast cars out of them... man that would be something... all those mods... bringing up a 924 to 931 or better levels? Lighter than a 944... I love my 924S, but 924 NAs are give aways...

The guy posting on Pelican, if he is the same guy from 924.org, apparently does a wide variety of stuff of the 924 already... and some stuff with fiberglass... some mention of Production D or Carrera GT stuff in his posts before... Hemm fiberglass and performance parts... this all just seems to good to be true.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone else look into this guys other posts? Is he a member here? I see someone claiming to be part of his development team or partner posted on my Pelican post: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/show...threadid=225939
Why don't you just ask him yourself, or check his credentials on 924.org where this was was originally posted? Why are you asking us, and why would you care what we have to say after this statement that you made over on Pelican:

well atleast their is some intellignet commentary on this board.. the guys on the 'list dont have much to say.
By the way, you spelled intelligent incorrectly.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Originally Posted by tifosiman
By the way, you spelled intelligent incorrectly.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Sabbath
Advanced

Dude, of course I care or why post. The point is their are more people on here and pelican with more experience, I am not trying to bad mouth anyone. Dont go taking my stuff all out of context. The point is that I was hoping for a discussion about the supercharger and is it real can it work can this be done, etc... what I got mostly was that this guy is a stand up guy kind of comments or yours about helping me spend my money.

Their is a big difference between the posts their and here. I am not referring to everyone, just that I was hoping for more.

I just don't get it everyone on here jumps on the buy a different care band wagon when you talk about adding power to the NA, but I post something someone is doing, hoping that some people would then atleast talk about it, the poll was only part of the post... where is the commentary?

A post about turbocharging or sueprcharging can go 12 pages long with most of the people telling you to buy a 951 and how expensive it is to convert a car, and all about how you have to convert your car to 951 specs just to drive it.

Here is a guy, that goes off and does it and says clearly that it is cheap to do. I ask is it real and what I mostly get is stuff about how the guy can be trusted. So ok: yet I ask how he can build it in his garage, I mean if thats possible then how come other places charge so much for a kit? How come a supercharger by itself is so expensive? If you can build it cheaply in your garage.

I guess if I wanted more details I should have started the post like most newbies with can I supercharger my NA, then added using this guys supercharger, then I could have looked forward to the standard comments: Use the search engine, buy a 951, or other worthless advice.

Now dont get me wrong somepeople have some good things to say, but where is all the helpful advice that this board is supposed to be all about.... I mean I so people more about negativity and close mindedness when it comes to anything like this. I was hoping that since someone has done this apparently over on 924.org that people would be more inclined to post, but of course not. No, not unless its an oppurtunity to tell you what not to do or to tell you how you are doomed to fail do posts like this get any serious attention... thats just sad.

Why dont I post on 924.org? Cause I don't want the guy to stop posting and I want to see what he can do. I wanted to see what you people thought about the possibilities... maybe like he said in his post, when you do something nobody has anything to say, he did it, I asked about it and I get comments about him. But not about the setup.

What about fuel delivery, what about belts, what about all that stuff.. i am sure some of you people have done this, installed superchargers etc... I have a turbo on my ranger, so adding power to a car can be done. I get that... but with the huge population of members on here you would think more of them would have somethign to say.

But seems like the more post I go back and read... a lot of people on here are like sharks swimming in a pack... mention something outside the box as a possibility or ask can I turbo or supercharge my car... and they go into a frenzy.

Ask about something like this supercharger and its mostly quiet... I dont get that kind of mindset.

Sorry if my comments on Pelican bother you. I just want people to talk about this and I want to learn, like I am sure a lot of other members do. I dont know all the right questions to ask you or anyone else, but I thought if I bring it up, more people would comment with things like GEO and Powerhousefarm.

These cars are not shrines never to be touched or modified... they are fantastic cars, with more power they could be even better. With a supercharger and standard NA mods you could have a little powerhouse CHEAPER than a 951. Granted supercharger kits are expensive for these cars, and granted their are guys who do their own using used parts, like some of the guys on 924.org, their is a couple of guys over their doing their own installs of used superchargers and one guy wins races with that setup, so it can be done on the 2.0 no less. Thats amazing! So its reasonable to belief you can adapt other superchargers to the 2.5 or 3.0.

BUT that must be taboo to talk about... cause I sure dont see anyone talking about it. Man I hope the guy is for real. I just didnt want to get my hopes up, I was looking for people on here to talk about the reality of something like it and the possibilities, guess thats to much to ask.

As for spelling yea who cares, you cant think of something better to say than that? So i didnt use spell check and i type to fast, excues me. What exactly would be your contribution to this discussion?

Man I dont want some trolling thing going on... just want people to sit up take notice of this guys stuff and talk about it. If its real... well then what are the possibilities? What kind of boost can our cars take?

Seriously, if this thing is real is 5, 6, 7 psi do able on a stock engine. I know Danno used a NA block with a turbo head, would that be necessary? I know he blew that engine... but I think he had a lot of issues with his setup and boost levels.

But if you kept boost down and could get the fuel, can the engine take it? Seriously common, someone please talk about this stuff, the sky isnt going to fall. Your car isnt going to be taken away or something crazy.

If you could get a decent car for a few k and a supercharger for a few k, wouldnt that be good? I mean darn it all. If you had 4 or 5 k maybe 6k in your car and had 951 stock power levels. Wouldnt that be good? Yea sure a few more k and you get a 951 and all that goes with it, spare me that stuff I read enough about that in other posts.

If you apply this to the 924 or 924S, you get a lighter car with serious power on the cheap I got my 924S for 1800 and its in great shape, if I spend 3 k on a supercharger and the car was reliable and I had over 200Hp at the wheels... wow. Isnt that a good thing? Certainly better than a beat up stressed out 951, yea the 951 has more power potential I get that.. but getting more power out of what you got is a good thing isnt it?

Last edited by Sabbath; 06-17-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Helstrm
Pro

I refuse to read all of that,..
To answer your question again. Yes it is real, Yes it can be done, Yes he is a stand up guy but I am pretty sure if this becomes a major drama he will be the only one with his kit in a P-car. He is not trying to get rich off this. Just to help other NA owners get more power and he enjoys doing it.

Sit back, relax and wait. When and if his system is ready to be sold he will let us know. I am sure that he will at least provide us with enough information to source our own SC parts if he decides not to produce these.

If you are in a hurry SFR has a great kit and it is ready now.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Okay I lied and I read it. Yes the NA engine can handle boost. 5-7 psi should be safe if you can control detonation (Prevent is what I should say)

SC is a better solution due to the fact that there is almost no lag and less heat. Although I have thought about strapping a small charger on my NA but you know how that goes.

The reason most will tell you to buy a 951 instead of converting an NA is not only the cost but the amount of work that is poured in. But to pick up 6psi of boost is very easy and will not cost too much depending on where and how you source your parts.

Keep in mind that I would rebuild your engine before I did any of these but that is just me. Most of our cars are pushing 100k + miles and your throw extra power at your already worn out bearings, rings, gaskets.. You are asking for problems. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. I by no means speak for any other member of any board.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Sabbath
Advanced

Well thank you for the post. Thats what I am talking about! I just wish more people where talking about this.

So a retail kit or a DIY kit... both would prove interesting. Yea I read the part in his posts about not being a company and just doing this stuff as a hobby. That is totally cool. I guess if it ends up seeing the light of day it will be super cool... if it doesnt well that will suck.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Guys,
There is only two types of SC that's worth installing on the
2.5 N.A engine. One Whipple/Optcon or the Rotrex SC.
Centrifugal SC will not produce the kind of results you
guys think you can get accept for the Rotrex SC.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Sabbath
Advanced

I read up on the rotrex, its a centrifugal unit, with a plantary drive. Like used on the 350Z and BMWs.
The whipple is a screw type right? Positive displacement, yea those have a linear boost table from what I read. The Centrifugal unit spools up like a Turbo... and from what I read from this guys posts and the links, it will make its peak boost at close to RPM, just like every other Centrifugal, but still makes useable boost from sometime after 2k on up. Like the Paxton and Vortech units....

J Chen... how is the rotrex any different? It is still a centrifugal, it just has a different internal drive instead of gears or a belt, although I suppose if its like the articles I read about planatary drives, it is highly variable so that would be a plus.

I read an article that stated specifically that the Rotrex uses a turbo front section and the rest is their drive gear.

Why a whipple and not a Eaton, the new ones are supposed to be a better design even the olds ones are cheap. hemm some guy on 924.org is using a eaton on his car and another is using a SC14 toyota unit.

From what I read of other posts by this guy doing this unit, he also has a Eaton based kit for both cars, or atleast for the 944 and ran it on his own car for a while. Said something about needing a 924 NA to finish the kit. I get the general idea that he has done a lot or he is full of it. If he isnt full of it and has done these things, his posts state that the stuff he has done has always been raw, unfinished stuff, function over form kinda stuff and that is what keeps him from trying to sell the other stuff, some kind of need to finish them. Still this is based on what he has posted, but he has a loyal following for sure.

I can not even imagine having that kind of choices, if the pelican posts are true about a website, can you imagine having your pick of options? Turbo, supercharger, type of superchager, different fuel options. Accessories. I hope that they do this stuff and my faith is restored. But as others have pointed out, seems to me... its easy to talk about doing stuff, its another thing to do it. That can be seen just in the kind of responses you get... more when you talk about it, less when you talk about what someone has done.

I would like to hear from someone that has a centrifugal setup on their 944 or 924, maybe a speedforce or if its a roots type, then the huntley kit or something. Pics would be nice of a SC installed in a 944.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:20 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sabbath
Pics would be nice of a SC installed in a 944.
Like this?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/166367-supercharger-setup-for-sale.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Sabbath,
Why rotrex ? Because it can spin up to a 100k rpm like a turbo.
That means you can set the pulley ratio to your requirements.
Another big plus is the sixe of the unit. Comparable in size to
a 951 alternator.
As for whipple,
it's a twin screw set-up which is far more effecient than the roots type
like what Eaton is using now & being internally compress, it will give you
the get up & go the minute you squeeze the throttle.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Helstrm
SC is a better solution due to the fact that there is almost no lag and less heat.
This is wrong. A properly sized turbocharger will produce less heat than a properly sized supercharger.

The efficiency of a turbo or supercharger is measured by the change in air temp before and after the compressor. Properly sized, turbos are definitely more efficient than superchargers. This is a FACT.

Quick Reply: Is this for real? Home Made Centrifugal Supercharger?