Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAS 951 struck by angry rabbit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DAS 951 struck by angry rabbit.

Every one of us knows that when we take these cars out we get everyone else driving anything even semi-"sporty" within a 1/2 mile radius driving like a complete jackass. Well one of them was able to catch up with me and mate with my rear end while travelling at 65 mph on the freeway.

So I'm dressed to the nines, on my way to a job interview with a computer security consulting company. I've got this jackass glued to my rear fender, stuck there for the past 3 miles since I got ahead of him. He's in a new Celica GTS plastered with TRD stickers. The angry rabbit was pretty fast and furious, even at 65mph. I don't pay much attention to him and I'm just trying to get to my job interview in time. I left lots of extra time, so speeding today, while it may have been fun, would've been totally pointless.

We're passing a tractor trailer when I hear a POP! and see one of his tires start to disintegrate about 20 feet in front of me. My car might not have been clean today, but I don't want any big dents in it. I jump on the brakes, not too hard, but I guess it was still more than the angry rabbit can take. He hits me while we're still moving. This breaks my *** end free, but luckily it takes me towards the median, not towards the other lanes of traffic. It could have been MUCH worse.

It broke my rear valance and the right bumper cover is slightly bulged. It looks like the bumper shocks took most of the impact, but the spare tire well has a dent in it if you look under the car. You can't really see this in the pics.
Attached Images         
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

That sucks, atleast no one was hurt. What did the other driver say?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you speak to this individual? Think I would've "accidentally" pushed him into traffic............
Old 06-07-2005, 10:40 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I hate people like that.

But I, too, am curious about his reaction...

BB.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

he was very very scared. I screamed at the top of my lungs, threw my keys somewhere inside the car, flung open the door and paced around screaming like a f*cking madman in a rage while our cars are stopped on the side of the road. My fists were clenched and I was very VERY loud. They didn't move from there car and got to watch my anger of my dream car getting banged up pour out of every pore of my body. It is probably a very good thing he didn't get out of his car or get in my face as I am absolutely certain I would have hit him, hard. After getting enough anger out to be able to speak, I grunted asking if they were okay and then we waited around a bit. They knew they were at fault immediately, but tried to blame their failure to brake on the truck driver, thinking that finding him would somehow make it okay that they RAN INTO THE BACK OF MY CAR.

It was a thin guy from Asia somewhere and a bigger white girl. Both of them were very passive.

The exact reaction from them, while they looked at a broken Porsche and a very broken Celica, seeing me standing there looking very sharp in my suit was "We're f*cked."
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately sorry to hear, it doesn't look bad tho. I hope his insurance treats you well and your prospcet job is understanding.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, at least you came out ok. And hopefully the place where you were going to get interviewed can reschedule. As far as they guy in the celica, string him up by his toe-nails! Good luck with everything.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to see that Nick, your car is a clean mother - doesnt look to bad and it will be back in tip top shape soon enough. I drive everyday/everywhere knowing everyone and everything around me is an absolute moron. So far so good - 0 wrecks.

I want to hear about the interview - cancelled? Just a late start? Good luck with that! (Im in the same boat - fingers crossed!!)
Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Spider
Instructor

Why do these tools feel compelled to turn an ordinary drive into the freakin Cannonball Run! I'ts usually a backward ballcap wearin' Dale Jr. pushin a riecooker in desperate need of attention. Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

well at least his car got smashed up pretty good >
i would have been pissed, probably with a similar reaction, you should have punched him in the throat
Old 06-07-2005, 11:19 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

I called and left a message on all the machines of the people for the interview. If they can't deal with and accept that I will need to reschedule, I am not interested in allowing them to hire my services. I'll find out what we'll do tomorrow, but I don't see it being a problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Good to hear it didn't interfere with your job too much. Such terrible luck. You reacted just like I probably would have. I hate people that drive like that. I've been rear-ended too many times to have any tolerance for those idiots. Did you get the police involved?

Sounds like you're doing alright after the accident. That's the most important part
Old 06-08-2005, 03:39 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident man, but you just gave me a great idea.
I'm going to start carrying a sales slip in my car, proce already made out, my name as seller, and buyer's name blank.
When and if someone hits me, I'll present them with the slip, and firmly say "sign here..."

I'm also considering a license plate frame that says "YOU BREAK IT, YOU BUY IT"
Old 06-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks man. Looks like a new valance, bumper shocks, and other things will get you on the road again soon..

Could be worse...could've broken the hatch..
Old 06-08-2005, 04:01 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That really is no fun. I hope you called the cops and made sure he got a ticket. If he was unable to brake in time, then he was following way too closely. Every time a ricer gets on my *** to try and get me to race, all I can think about is something like this happening.

Quick Reply: DAS 951 struck by angry rabbit.