Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAS 951 struck by angry rabbit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 01:17 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Regardless, It shouldnt matter that he had a valid reason to apply the brakes, or stop. At least in most states, when following, you should have yourself in teh position that you can control your vehicle, whether the person decides to stop, turn, etc...
If you are being followed too close and you slam on your brakes (just for the heck of it) and the person tailgating you hits you, you would also be at fault. At least that’s the way it is in CT.

Now this is not what happened with Nickhance he had a reason to brake.

I just wanted to clarify this so no one goes jamming on their brakes when being tailgated and contributes to an accident. And believe me I have been tempted to do just that. I have tapped the brakes just so the brake lights come on but then step on the gas to get out of the way.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Yep. in Colorado, any rear-end accident is ALWAYS the fault of the person following. Cops instantly write them a ticket. no matter what. the guy needs to fry.
Its like that almost everywhere, altho there are situations where its the fault of the person in front. I was in one of those kinda spots, rear ended a guy as I was doing about 80KM/H (50MPH I guess) and the accident was found to be 100% his fault by ICBC (Who I think have a few chapters dedicated to them alone in the "Big Book of How to be A ****ty Stereotypical Scamming Sheister Evil Insurance Company, 3nd Revision"). They were actually good to my family in that accident, paid out a good value for my dads Nissan truck that got written off. I think we got $5600CDN for it.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around here, it's not automatically the fault of the back person. If the person in front brake-checks you, it usually goes 50-50. The rear person is rarely left without any blame, but in a lot of instances, the front person gets a good share of it.

Theedge, I got rear-ended by a guy insured through ICBC, I know what you mean. What a terrible insurance company to deal with. Then again, the guy was a parolee from ontario, who skipped out on parole, with a just-invalid ontario driver's license (Expired just a couple days prior), BC insurance with an invalid address, living in calgary... When he hopped out any yelled 'don't call the cops!' I knew this was going to be a bad one.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:53 PM
jjjr944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assured Clear Distance rule.
10 feet for every 10 mph.
If I slam on my brakes to clear a car or damn dead rabbit, those behind me better be ready to check-up.
I have yet to see where that is over-ruled. I can control what is in front of me--not behind me.
Do not trifle with the law.

Jerry

"I woke up this morning at 4:04 am, looked at the clock, and thought 'Oh ****, Page Not Found.'"
Old 06-12-2005, 01:57 AM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

This guy was close enough to sniff glue off my back bumper. There's absolutely no question he was following too close, and it still makes me angry remembering sliding into the median like that. My throat was sore for more than a day after all the screaming I did at the scene of the accident, and I'm just glad it wasn't directed at the dude who hit me.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:26 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
Around here, it's not automatically the fault of the back person. If the person in front brake-checks you, it usually goes 50-50. The rear person is rarely left without any blame, but in a lot of instances, the front person gets a good share of it.

Theedge, I got rear-ended by a guy insured through ICBC, I know what you mean. What a terrible insurance company to deal with. Then again, the guy was a parolee from ontario, who skipped out on parole, with a just-invalid ontario driver's license (Expired just a couple days prior), BC insurance with an invalid address, living in calgary... When he hopped out any yelled 'don't call the cops!' I knew this was going to be a bad one.
That rear end accident of mine was my most pleasent experience actually. The guy I hit was totally at fault, AND he liked to ICBC about what happened... And he had lied in three previous accidents. He was on the recieving end of a very brutal painful lesson.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Wow, you're pretty lucky then. For mine, they couldn't locate the guy who hit me, since of course he skipped town right afterwards, so for months on end, they outright denied liability, since they couldn't locate their insured to get his side of the story....

I'm fighting an accident right now, where the guy is lying about what happened. He was passing me on the right, IN AN INTERSECTION, and side-swiped me, but his story is that I pulled out on the wrong side of the road to pass him, on one of the busiest roads in the city, in the middle of rush hour.....

Fun fun fun.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its amazing how nice our cars even after wrecks.

Quick Reply: DAS 951 struck by angry rabbit.