Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Fixed Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceShark
The ghost that never dies.

There is another option to using a quad set of the Hella 90mm lenses, as those are sort of tight fitting into the available space. A new european Hella fixture has a motor on it and moves a shield back and forth to switch between main and dipped beam in a true HID light. I don't know how this would work in the real world vs. the quad 90 mm HID system as I've never seen one in person.

But it would be far cheaper than the 90mm quad system and would have no problem fitting in the available space.

Soooo, if you want me to get a pair of the bi lenses in HID arc, I can check around and then figure out how to get them for a reasonable price with everyone making some money for their trouble along the way. I can tell you first off that we need to go through Europe. Hella USA is sort of like a crazy franchise hamburger shop. I can buy some Hella products cheaper than what Hella USA gets charged, at least according to many sources.

Another one of the guys i was hoping that would post

Quad 90mm hella? I didn't see that on there site. At any rate, PM me or email me at wmiller at dataeclipse dot com. I have some other stuff I want to ask you.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of those links in my post is for the hella Duals....... Try the Hella UK Website too (And if you want me to go over and beat someone up, they're based about 3 minutes from my front door.....)
Old 04-20-2005, 02:16 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Mike,
Yep I checked them out! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2005, 03:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pikey7
Good luck Wes. You might want to think about contacting a few glass companies with your sketches of the cover to get their opinion on if/how difficult it would be to make 'em. They may cost more now, but better than 3 sets a year in lexan/acrylic........

BTW, a few links to Euro lamps to consider.....
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...ODE=CIB9310880

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...CODE=HEL191007

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...CODE=HEL934011

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...CODE=HEL192007

Why not just use lexan, and then get the clear cover stuff that sticks on? When that gets beaten up and scuffed, peel it off and stick a new one on. Unless theres a problem with that stuff that I dont know of?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 PM
pikey7
Drifting

The heat and sunlight yellows the plastic........
Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pikey7
Good luck Wes. You might want to think about contacting a few glass companies with your sketches of the cover to get their opinion on if/how difficult it would be to make 'em. They may cost more now, but better than 3 sets a year in lexan/acrylic........

]
Mike is right, there is really no substitue for glass.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
BigRed
Pro

(I'm sure this is a dumb question)...has anyone tried to retrofit 968 style lamps into a '44? That type of popup is hot...our stock '44 style, well, I don't really care for it.

To do 968 popups, I know there would be some sheetmetal fabrication of the "surrounds", but do they not operate like our stock lights?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess you could.. you'd need the 968 fenders and hood too.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed
(I'm sure this is a dumb question)...has anyone tried to retrofit 968 style lamps into a '44? That type of popup is hot...our stock '44 style, well, I don't really care for it.

To do 968 popups, I know there would be some sheetmetal fabrication of the "surrounds", but do they not operate like our stock lights?
One difference is the 968s have independent motors for each headlight, rather than the "bar" system linking them mechanically on the 944s. (Better design, really, if you think about it.) So I don't know how much of the mechanical side of things would need modification...

-Mark
Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Roral
Instructor

If you were going to attempt the 968 style, the 928 has the bar as I understand it.

Wes, I hope everything goes damn well, and it looks as good as we all hope (well the "we" that would like to see something different and new) Personally I think the negative free back from forums with Purists keeps large manufactures away from the 944/51/68 line. People all want better cheaper products for their cars, but any one that starts a project on an amateur level get burned here and shut down the project. That would be enough to kill a lot of product from being produced, Wes didn't ask for anyone’s negative input, and granted no matter how clear he made that everyone has the right to post. If your going to post something negative at least fallow it up with something positive like, "I’m sure looking at the car with the lights on at night will look sharp" if you're going to break someone's idea down at least have the guff to build the person up some where else. (We all have good taste in cars or we wouldn’t be P-car owners) Even if he's going to do something you disagree with.

The only thing holding these cars back (for aftermarket parts and/or HP) are the people that own them. I hate rice but at the same time I can't stand people not open to improvement or change, Rice bad - improvement good. If we keep an open mind maybe someone that knows how to make an easy bolt on part would be baited by this website and ask for input rather then flames, or rejection.

Steven
Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

wasnt the gtp car the first 944, meaning that 944s were kinda meant to have the fixxed headlights, but maybe they settled on the popups of the 924? i love the idea. i wanted to do it, but id rather sell my car and TRY to focus on school. one thing: most people on this board talk of compliments about how modern their car looks, but im sure if all the unknowing askers of the "what year?" question were to realize it had pop up headlights.....they would say " thats so f*cking 80s!" bring the car up to date, do what you want. i love the way it looks. anyone who says that the gtp car and carrera do not look good, they are kidding themselves. would any one who had that ca ron this board take the fixxed headlights out of that car and change them to the flip ups because its more suiting? no! hope this works out for you.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember Rage2 complaining about the GT bucket setup too. He has them on his 2.8L big bore 951, and he said they took A LOT of work getting them in there, and the worse thing was that the pastic shields actually POPPED OFF more than once, and would not stay on.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:53 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

mine were pretty simple, welded a plate to mount the GT carbon buckets (through-bolted) then used a brake to bend some sheet aluminum w/ holes cut for the lamps and drilled for the mounts.

covers are simply drilled and zip-tied in 3 places...
Old 04-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Be careful Wes, those projector lights might make your teeth look even yellower!! LOL
Old 04-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my perspective, Wes's going it the right way with sound engineering practices. Measure twice, cut once. Get everything laid out in a computer model. Solidworks is beyond a 3D modeling package, it'll check the fit of the parts (which GTracing apparently didn't do), account for materials properties, like expansion-rates and strenghts. Maybe there's a middle ground here. This guy put S2000 headlighs into the pop-ups on his Pantera:

BEFORE

AFTER

Personally, I'd like to see some plastic surrounding covers so that the light looks more integrated and factory-looking. Kinda too industrial and terminator looking being all exposed with the brackets and everything..

Quick Reply: Project: Fixed Headlights