Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Fixed Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wes,

I prefer pop-ups. If you want to sell the black surrounds (2 pcs. each side) from your pop-ups when the project is all done, it would be worth the drive to me. Also, if you have e-code lights in there now and want to part with them, I'd be game for those, too.

- Tony
Old 04-20-2005, 11:40 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
It's already been done by the factory. Yes the GT kit requires some work
"Some work" is a drastic understatement. I'm sick and tired of dealing with the buckets, and I'm just going to delete them all together with a flush header panel and put some HID's down where the fog/driving lights go. After screwing with the GT ones, I can attest there is no good way to mount them, the lights, and the covers and have everything look good from inside 15 feet.

I think that any headlight kit that incorporates more modern-looking round small projector lights on our cars just looks out of place. And I don't know how much more you would gain (in lighting quality) over the square lights unless you purchase some of the super expensive little ones out there (I seem to recall someone on the 951 bbs did this and mentioned the cost, waaaaay more than $500).
That was dmoffitt, who fitted HID 90mm Hella lights. The light output is AWESOME.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:42 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
Wes,

I prefer pop-ups. If you want to sell the black surrounds (2 pcs. each side) from your pop-ups when the project is all done, it would be worth the drive to me. Also, if you have e-code lights in there now and want to part with them, I'd be game for those, too.

- Tony
The black surrounds are different on a 951 verses your N/A.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by MPD47
"Some work" is a drastic understatement. I'm sick and tired of dealing with the buckets, and I'm just going to delete them all together with a flush header panel and put some HID's down where the fog/driving lights go. After screwing with the GT ones, I can attest there is no good way to mount them, the lights, and the covers and have everything look good from inside 15 feet.

That was dmoffitt, who fitted HID 90mm Hella lights. The light output is AWESOME.
Did you purchase the entire kit they sell now? Or just the buckets and covers?

Thanks for the clarification, it was dmoffitt.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:44 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Mike,
I was hoping you'd see this thread. We actually thought the 90mm hella's where going to be too big. Can you grab a shot from dmoffits car, a close up?

BTW, I wasn't planning on mass producing these or anything, it was just a i'm doing this to my car, come help if you can.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

The great thing about the stock setup is that is *works*!

It is also incredibly reliable compared to most cars with pop-up headlights. (if your car's been hit in the front, then all bets are off in any case, though!)

On a "per car" basis, how many Fieros, Firebirds, 240s, Probes, Pulsars, MR2s, Supras, RX-7s, etc. do you see running around with their headlights stuck in the up position compared to 944s? . . . Seems a much higher percentage of all the others, compared to the rare 944 whose lights don't function properly...
Old 04-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want more light just get the Hella H4s or the IceShark kit. Why re-invent the wheel and slap "avant-garde" looking technology onto a 20-year-old car. It looks stupid.

I mean, there's ways to integrate more modern components in a way that doesn't trash the authenticity of the car. I'll soon add an EBC and electronic fuel monitoring system to my 951, but it'll be very nondescript and unobtrusive. I don't want tons of bling bling lights and LEDs and crap - it isn't true to the age of the car and will ultimately only ruin its look and value if done improperly. I'd say get the GT kit if you want to do something like that, but that's about it.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:50 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

It is also incredibly reliable compared to most cars with pop-up headlights. (if your car's been hit in the front, then all bets are off in any case, though!)
Check "The Aftermath" link in my sig
Old 04-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WesM951
Check "The Aftermath" link in my sig
Crikey! Well, kudos to you for putting it back together!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:59 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

I take it people don't listen to what you have to say when you have to say it.

Firstly, I did say these where all just rough sketches. I still have yet to decide.

Secondly, My headlights DO NOT WORK! Trust me, its not an easy fix. Don't beleive me click the link in my sig.

Thirdly, This is my car! I shall do what I want. There are far worst molestations of these cars out there. Modifying headlights is very miniscule.

Last but not least, if you don't like it remeber what I said in my fist post. (just in case you didn't read it and flamed me anywase, here it is again)
Flamers need not apply!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:04 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I take it people don't listen to what you have to say when you have to say it.

Firstly, I did say these where all just rough sketches. I still have yet to decide.

Secondly, My headlights DO NOT WORK! Trust me, its not an easy fix. Don't beleive me click the link in my sig.

Thirdly, This is my car! I shall do what I want. There are far worst molestations of these cars out there. Modifying headlights is very miniscule.

Last but not least, if you don't like it remeber what I said in my fist post. (just in case you didn't read it and flamed me anywase, here it is again)
Flamers need not apply!
Hey Wes (not flaming), have you given thought to sourcing all of the pop-up mechanism bits from Rock's old car? Given the fact that you guys still need to get together to give/sell him your other car (I think), you could get the motor and all of the other stuff then and fix yours.........................just a thought. If he doesn't have what you need, I know Dan has a lof of that stuff from the 924S he just ripped apart.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

:Flamers need not apply!

Maybe this guy should not post in this thread?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Hey Wes (not flaming), have you given thought to sourcing all of the pop-up mechanism bits from Rock's old car? Given the fact that you guys still need to get together to give/sell him your other car (I think), you could get the motor and all of the other stuff then and fix yours.........................just a thought. If he doesn't have what you need, I know Dan has a lof of that stuff from the 924S he just ripped apart.
After an accident, the tough part is usually getting all of the parts of the linkage to line up and work without binding. Even if all the parts for the mechanism are straight, a slight misalignment of anything can be enough to make them stick, and there are a lot of angles to work with.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:13 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

After an accident, the tough part is usually getting all of the parts of the linkage to line up and work without binding. Even if all the parts for the mechanism are straight, a slight misalignment of anything can be enough to make them stick, and there are a lot of angles to work with.
I'm well aware of that. BTDT.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:13 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Tony hit the nail on the head here.

Quick Reply: Project: Fixed Headlights