Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

perforated airbox and astonishing depth

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts
Talking perforated airbox and astonishing depth

This weekend I decided to drill some holes in the top of my airbox using a 17/64" drill bit. I'll post pictures of what it looks like when I get back home tonight but what I really liked the most is how deeper the exhaust became. The straight pipe made it raspy, yet it still sounded tame. The perforations actually improved the depth of the exhaust note dramatically, yet the air temperature in the box isn't compromised to the extent of a power loss.

What inspired me to do the drilling was the 993 motor sound package since the factory airbox lid is perforated. Any questions feel free to ask
Old 03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
gstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds cool, pictures would be great.

I have a question about your 944...
is the CS paint on your driver side fender stock?? It looks great.

Best Regards,
Ben Goldstein
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

no the CS is actually a factory decal. The part number is 944 557 223 01 *i memorized it heheh*
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

phreak...memorizing part numbers...

Bah, I have my car's part number memorized... 924S...it's neat
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a popular mod for VW's also. Gave it that throaty sound but didn't do anything for performance.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does about as much as a cone intake will
Old 03-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy, do you have the FRWilk chip on your 944? That alone really changes the sound of the exhaust, id be curious to know how it would sound with the drilled airbox. Please post pictures as to how you did it. I have a spare lid i could mess around with...
Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Hey Techno Duck, no I don't, but I am considering it. I am going to wait on it since I want to get a mild cam for this car, probably around a .450" lift and will have the Wilk chip programmed to suit the cam and straight pipe. My theory is if the FRWilk chip is burned to maximize the amount of power with such high lift and duration of the camshaft I may be able to yield higher HP numbers afterall. I know I said I wouldn't modify the motor on this 944, but I don't think a cam and chip will hurt it. Come to think of it, I think it will actuall yhelp out the car's respiration and maybe make that small little flame that pops after shifting at 5600 rpm longer... (running rich again thats why, thank you straightpipe for not doing the job the cat does)

Old 03-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

OH! BTW, I have video capabilities with this Kodak Digicam I have. So on thursday when I'm off, I'll post a movie, just don't be surprised if I leave the camera on the ground and run to the car
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheStig
This weekend I decided to drill some holes in the top of my airbox using a 17/64" drill bit. I'll post pictures of what it looks like when I get back home tonight but what I really liked the most is how deeper the exhaust became. The straight pipe made it raspy, yet it still sounded tame. The perforations actually improved the depth of the exhaust note dramatically, yet the air temperature in the box isn't compromised to the extent of a power loss.

What inspired me to do the drilling was the 993 motor sound package since the factory airbox lid is perforated. Any questions feel free to ask
Holes in the air cleaner cover simply allow you to hear more intake noise. Nothing to do with exhaust noise at all. Sound comes out both sides of the engine, regardless of the direction of flow. Exhausts are obviously louder, but the noise generated by the intake is pretty loud on its own. Crack the throttle cam while the engine is running with your ear close to the airbox. That noise you hear isn't coming out of the exhaust!

I went further than drilling some holes in my lid, I removed a rectangular section, about 4"x6". I secured some "gutter guard" mesh to the cover to prevent leaves and other large debris from clogging the filter. Results are healthy increase in intake sound levels. I haven't dynoed the car before/after the lid change, but I'd be hard pressed to believe anything beyond a 1% change either positive or negative.

I think I have pictures at home, I'll post some later.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

the intake is louder, the exhaust isn't. But, it just sounds more throatier because of the intake sound. If there was a misconception regarding volume of sound from the exhaust, sorry. But, the exhaust note is just deeper. However, mine is louder due to the straight pipe.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:56 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i did this a couple years ago and it does make the car sound throatier on WOT. nothing to add at low revs, though. you can see the holes i drilled in my airbox at the very bottom of the picture (my airflow comes from below through the air filter above, that's why the holes are in the bottom)

Old 03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheStig
Hey Techno Duck, no I don't, but I am considering it. I am going to wait on it since I want to get a mild cam for this car, probably around a .450" lift and will have the Wilk chip programmed to suit the cam and straight pipe. My theory is if the FRWilk chip is burned to maximize the amount of power with such high lift and duration of the camshaft I may be able to yield higher HP numbers afterall. I know I said I wouldn't modify the motor on this 944, but I don't think a cam and chip will hurt it. Come to think of it, I think it will actuall yhelp out the car's respiration and maybe make that small little flame that pops after shifting at 5600 rpm longer... (running rich again thats why, thank you straightpipe for not doing the job the cat does)

Unfortunately Wilk has been MIA for the past 2 months and his site has been pulled so good luck on getting a chip from him, all that are left are second hand ones unless he pops up again.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So you guys are drilling up your air boxes because you like the sound? How do you know the increased air temp isn't reducing your power? It has to.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

come on peck. stop being so cynical. how do you know it has to? so i'm losing, what, a 1/2 hp?

Quick Reply: perforated airbox and astonishing depth