Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler Post - 944 Fest West?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Feeler Post - 944 Fest West?

Just an idea I've been mulling over for awhile. . .

I'd LOVE to go to the "original" 944 fest in Ohio, but looking at it realistically it would take me (and anyone else from the west coast, which DOES have its fair share of 944 owners / enthusiasts) at least 3 days out and back - that's an entire week just GETTING there. For many of us (myself included) off time / vacation time is kind of a premium, so I'd like to know if there would be any interest in a "western-half-of-the-U.S." kind of 944 fest in the summer, possibly even timed to coincide exactly with the original one to better share pics and stories and promote a sense of community, though we be separated by great distances across the entire continent. If so, what things would you all like to see included? Obviously there would be some parts and "fish story" swapping, some wrenching and maybe even a few laps at a track or something (depending on venue).

I'm envisioning maybe a two-day affair so maybe it could be combined with a camping trip or other outdoor type activity (though certainly not necessary). If enough interest is generated I'm sure we could get a group rate through a nearby hotel someplace.

Any interest in such an event? Would people really come out for it? Locations? Events?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:58 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's in California and on a weekend that I have free, I'm definitely there.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:54 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me.. Ditto josephsc..
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, that'd be cool... Obviously I would prefer it to be close to where I live, but so will every one else that wants to go, so I'm open to driving a ways (a couple hours in any direction, except west, because that's the ocean...)

edit: oh and on the locations bit: it's not a good "racey" place to drive, and I don't know of any tracks in the area, but it's cool scenery and such...we could hit up something like the sequoias, or some other coastal national/state park in CA (redwoods is kinda far, but I still might go for that). Maybe even driving *to* Monteray, (socal people could meet up before?) and a few laps there in the afternoon or something...Laguna Seca anyone? Although I'm sure track time is pricey. I have no idea on that one, anybody know how much that would cost (assuming that the track is availible)? Lots of good beach pics and stuff there for sure.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:45 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great idea.
It's a huge undertaking if you end up throwing as big a party as Dan P. does but it is a great time.

I like the idea of doing it on the same day. It could end up being a national holiday!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
Great idea.
It's a huge undertaking if you end up throwing as big a party as Dan P. does but it is a great time.

I like the idea of doing it on the same day. It could end up being a national holiday!
Thats funny!! The 2005 944fest countdown begins in 15 days...I havent heard otherwise on any date change yet, so I'm presuming 07/04 weekend again.

National Porsche moth should be September..09/11, 09/24, 09/30 etc..!
Kinda like Kwaanzaa..
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, how about making it a 2-day track event? Something like Buttonwillow?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Thats funny!! The 2005 944fest countdown begins in 15 days...I havent heard otherwise on any date change yet, so I'm presuming 07/04 weekend again.
Chris,
The last conversation I had with Dan he said he may be moving it to the weekend after the 4th, not exactly sure yet. May either want to contact him or maybe hold off on the countdown (I know. it's hard to......... ).
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
CO944
Instructor

I am interested! I have been to dubwars in buttonwillow.. fun time but
unfortunately very dusty. Probably would not coax me the 1200 plus miles
to attend. BUT if you could some how arrange something at Laguna Seca
I would kill some of my own relatives to make it there!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Laguna Seca WOULD be an awesome venue - no doubt about that. I want to make sure this is as "all inclusive" as possible and not just for the CA people too. Of course if people are willing to come from CO, AZ, NM, WA, OR, etc. to go race at L.S. I'll check into it. Good suggestions. The only thing that kind of bugs me about the national parks is they're absolutely overrun with RVs in the summer months. What starts as a fun drive might end up being intensely frustrating stuck behind a bunch of those behemoths for MILES. Also the rangers aren't too keen about people doing any repair work in such areas (I actually did do an oil & filter change once when my wife & I did our "summer long camping trip" a few years ago, but I had to make sure I didn't spill a DROP of anything on the ground). I doubt the powers that be would allow it. We could certainly stay somewhere nearby and close out the day with a trip through the redwoods or King's Canyon or Sequoia or Joshua Tree (a bit hot in summer for some), etc. though. . .
Old 12-15-2004, 11:24 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Laguna Seca would be a good venue. Not too far for the So.Cal folks, close for the Bay Area, cooler Summer weather, good roads, Hwy. 1 for the return trip. Thunderhill, Willows, and Buttonwillow are all Africa hot in the Summer, not many services, etc. This is a long drive for the NW groups though. Lake Tahoe would be cool with great scenery and weather. I've thought of a Rennfest West for years but never thought it would develop due to the long drives to cover what we consider the West. Jeff keep working on it...it's a good idea.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We had our own Front Engine Fest up here in Vancouver this past summer, what a great time! We had people from BC, Alberta, Washington...and even a shark from Alaska! About 24 cars total!
Well worth organizing it, I'm surprised you Cali guys haven't organized something sooner; someone once told me California is the 944 capital of the world! I wouldn't be surprised.
We are gonna do it next year, I hope its even bigger! Check my sig for pics!
We did a run up the interior of BC to Hell's Gate Canyon, but a location like Laguna Seca is sweet!
Go for it guys, it IS possible!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:24 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

UNOFFICIALLY (Mid Ohio should be releasing their 2005 track schedule today-12/15) I'm shooting for July 16-17th. I think the track event will be July 9-10th, and several folks asked me to move away from the 4th. There are still a lot of variables, but that is my target date - Remember-TENATIVELY!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in. I'd prefer Laguna or Sears. Buttonwillow didn't do it for me and there's nothing down there except a coffee shop and a hotel!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

That might be better all around - holiday weekends are best spent doing nothing that involves driving ANYWHERE, in my experience. Also the track rates are almost certain to be higher if we want to book a track day as part of the festivities - ditto on hotels.

Quick Reply: Feeler Post - 944 Fest West?