Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler Post - 944 Fest West?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

1st weekend in august every year.

the last 2 years i had major engine probs (valves going to ****.. and yes i had the work repaired before this year). yet im still dumb enough to go. but on the bright side it never left me stranded. this year im buying a second engine and setting up the deal to buy it. my original will br torn down while i have this one in... low miles.. great record of maintenece. the owner is on the board of directors on the 912 registry, and its his spare he ran while he had his original beefed up.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:38 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

btw.. i dont take interstates. all b-routes. this year we will maybe go up to oregon. probably on the way home. but i like b-routes (us highways) best because they are more fun.. twisties.. mountains, sceenery, less people.. less cops.. (infact we only saw 2 cops the 1st year, and one cop last year).

get a us road atlas.. take a look at this crazyness
my route this year will be us 33 in ohio to us 30 to us 24 in indiana & illinois,to us34 through iowa (sleep) & nebraska, then 6/34 into colorado (sleep) through rocky mountain national park (twisties!!!!!) to us40 to dinasaur national park, through utah to provo (sleep) us 6 though utah to us 50 thorugh nevada (lonliest highway in america.. no ones out there! through about 15 mountain ranges through nevada so lots of twisties and speed between mountain ranges if youd like).. pass out in carson city (sleep). then the next day take us 395 through to ca178 through bakersfield, then 58 (lots of great twisties!!!!!) to 101, 101 south to solvang. and then tell everyone in the 912 registry your tales of glory cause you just crossed the continent. (and in turn they will priase you and tell you how nuts you are).
Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As poetic as that is (and believe me, I've entertained the idea. . . ) the norm rather than the exception is for people to only get two (count 'em TWO) lousy weeks off a year. This isn't Europe. Three days out, two days there and two days back burns a minimum of six of most peoples' ten available vacation days for the entire YEAR. I'm a Porsche enthusiast, but I value my time a little more than that. I'm just saying there are probably plenty of others in the same boat that would love a bit of excitement and the fun of a get-together, but aren't willing to blow their entire years' vacation going to Ohio (no offense, but it ain't quite the same as Hawaii or a Caribbean cruise). That's the idea.

I just want to see that west coasters get a chance to enjoy the obvious good times, fun and comradery that our east coast / midwest counterparts get to enjoy every July!
Old 12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

As fun as a track day seems it is still a major undertaking even at the smallest venues. There were always enough Miatas to get Thunderhill for a weekend of DE but us 944'ers probably don't represent enough demographically to secure a track easily. The insurance alone is a real problem without nationally sanctioned ties. Maybe a more informal get together near several excellent fun run roads and scenery might be easier. A three-day event near Mendocino/Ft. Bragg could encompass side trips to the Redwoods, Petrolia to Hwy. 1, and forays up and down the coast. The Monterey area is also great for varied interests and side trips. The most important thing is getting folks together from as far as possible with as many interesting activities as possible. Do you think the lack of a solid track event would be a major detriment to attendance? I would hate to see the gathering all fall through the cracks due to logistics and the financial burden of securing a track. I hope this post keeps resurfacing and will offer any organizational assistance I can.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts

FWIW, I lay claim to the name "944fest". I'm OK allowing it's use for non-profit gatherings of front engine Porsches. My issue is when you start charging admission, then there is an issue of "profits" (A topic I know NOTHING about!) While I don't have a patent or copyright on the name, it goes against the original principal of my event to charge admission. Trust me, I totally understand how renting a venue can cost $$, lots of it. To rent a track, You'd probably need to include those pesky rear engine folks , and at that point it may be time to start looking in to other names for the event. OK?

(trying hard to not sound like an *** here)

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 12-16-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendan
Hehe I'm down with that
ROADTRIP!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

You're absolutely correct Dan. As much as I'd love a track event, I don't see any way to avoid charging for it. Perhaps it could be an "optional" event and those that want to participate simply pony up for the privilege and those that don't are free to do whatever else they want. I'm certainly not in this for profit, but neither can I afford to pay for two days of track fun for a bunch of 944 people (much as I might like! If I ever win the lottery, I'll do that!) Obviously your idea for the 944 Fest in Ohio is the "original" one and I want this to closely emulate that in spirit, culture, and enjoyment. Maybe if some vendors were willing to show up and make a "contribution" to the track fees or something. . . Dunno. The whole idea of combining it with a track event is appealing, but may end up being cost-prohibitive. If that ends up being the case, I'd just like to know if there's still interest in just a simple, fun kind of get together.

Don't worry Dan - nobody's trying to rain on your parade here. . . What you started was a good idea. If anything, I'm just trying to bring it to more people since it's impractical for a HUGE number of 944 people to make it to the current venue location. If you don't want that. . . well. . . just say the word and we can figure out something else as an alternative.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:02 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Jeff.. I'm glad you understand. The parallel casual get together would be a great event. If you decide to host it, be prepared for a handful of duties to make it happen. I'll admit I'm jealous of your possible locations and cruise routes... not to mention the pool of possible attendees!! As for getting a track, around here the car clubs FIGHT for weekends in the summer, a bunch of guys wanting to throw a party have a snowballs' chance of getting something. I'll keep an eye out and see what we can do, parallel style!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Or maybe we can charter a C-130 for all the west coasters. . .

Old 12-16-2004, 05:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

Pfffffff *I'd* rather drive, but its a LONG drive out that far... Driving is prolly cheaper too
Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

Last time I was in a C130 it didn't look like much more than 4 cars. I'd say we better look into a C5!
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hmmmm. . . Wonder how much it is to get type rated in a C5. . .
Old 12-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I'd be up for something.... but since I'm kinda between the two, I'd have a tough time deciding which to attend...We'd prolly head east cuz My dad LOVES Mid-Ohio...He used to watch Mark Donahue race there, and said he'd go to 944fest if we could hit Mid-Ohio...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:32 PM
r1moto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hoffman912, US395 is awesome, if you like the twisties may I sugest a detour, from 395 south take 89 west over monitor pass (8,314ft) then take 4 west over ebbetts pass (8,730ft) and down to angles camp, then 49 south to sonora, take 108 east over sonora pass (9,624ft) back to 395, or as an alternate route you could stay on 49 south past sonora and take 120 east through yosemite and over tioga pass (9,945ft) back to 395, either way is amazing. This would be about a 6-7 hour detour, but I think its worth it. I drive or ride this area all the time in the summer, and i love it.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:39 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

nice, ill have to look into it! besides, who doesnt like twisties!?

Quick Reply: Feeler Post - 944 Fest West?