Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I talked to my Dad and told him about this "group buy."
He is very interested in adding a Halon to our cars. We have three cars that are in need of something better than a crap dry chem Kiddie. So that means I MAY want 1-3 Halons, depending on how reasonable the price and discount is. I'm still regretting the fact that I haven't found my 951 yet, as I would definately purchase one myself... heh "GIVE ME FOUR!" j/k

Just one question. How does the "group buy" thing work? Does one person order the product and take care of distributing them to those that have placed an order? Also I noticed that I'm one of the only non-members interested in this. Will you guys allow me to participate as a non-member? Thx
Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I too have a cheapo thrown in the back footwell. I need to change this, as I cannot afford to lose my daily driver. Let's see what shakes loose.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:32 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by faithless
Ok, I talked to my Dad and told him about this "group buy."
He is very interested in adding a Halon to our cars. We have three cars that are in need of something better than a crap dry chem Kiddie. So that means I MAY want 1-3 Halons, depending on how reasonable the price and discount is. I'm still regretting the fact that I haven't found my 951 yet, as I would definately purchase one myself... heh "GIVE ME FOUR!" j/k

Just one question. How does the "group buy" thing work? Does one person order the product and take care of distributing them to those that have placed an order? Also I noticed that I'm one of the only non-members interested in this. Will you guys allow me to participate as a non-member? Thx
The vendor usually just guarantees price. You call em up and say you are on the Rennlist group buy and order it at that price. Basically we're just guaranteeing business (a good thing) to the vendor and get afforded the discount. Ive seen a couple group buys where they would only ship product once in one bulk package to one person then that Rennlist person dispersed, but thats a rarity.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:35 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

I may be wrong, but don't PCA rules require a 2.5 lb extinguisher (for the regions that require them) - maybe we should focus on those, rather than some of the smaler options.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mroberts
I may be wrong, but don't PCA rules require a 2.5 lb extinguisher (for the regions that require them) - maybe we should focus on those, rather than some of the smaler options.
For the marginal price difference the 2.5 lb is a better buy regardless of rules.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:14 AM
faithless
Pro

Hmm, is there any way for a moderator to mirror the thread over all the forums? Most of us are posting in this thread, while others are posting in the 951 & 951S thread. We kind of need a single thread mirrored over all the forums, including the 928 and the 911 forums. This could be one gigantic group buy.

What do you guys think about this one?

Great looking build quality, and a well-known name.
Imagine topping that deal with a discount!!!

So far, this is the best looking deal I have found.

Last edited by faithless; 11-17-2004 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:43 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default You asked...........

I have had several emails and a number of people have commented on my fire system and wanted additional information.

Please read the following very carefully: THIS IS MY SYSTEM SETUP, AND NO ONE HAS A SYSTEM JUST LIKE IT TO MY KNOWLEDGE. THIS IS NOT APPROVED BY ANYONE OR ANY SANCTIONING BODY BUT WOULD PROBABLY PASS WITH FLYING COLORS.

I put this system together based on 30 some years of playing with cars and yachts.

o 5 1/2 lb Halon 1211 bottle (not legal but very effective)
o **** Racing Products polished billet aluminum bottle brackets mounted to the floor ahead of the passenger seat
o Automatic/ manual discharge mounted behind the turbo just below the intake on the firewall
o Automatic/ manual discharge mounted passenger side roll bar down tube pointed rear to cover rear hatch area above the fuel tank
o manual only nozzle pointed at my 'nads below the steering wheel
o manual pull mounted just forward of the shifter

Sorry I can't post pictures right now as my car is apart. Here is a picture of the manual pull. ( red t-handle just ahead of the shifter)
\
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooh Oooh- Guards red- must be rare!!

I agree- it's cheap insurance and I need to upgrade to a Halon-like extinguisher.

It's amazing how much knowledge is on this board in so many diverse areas.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Faithless, that is a good price but they don't offer the brackets and we need to get it all in a package deal.
i emailed a Rennlist sponsor who offered a group buy on these in the past. As soon as I hear back from them, I'll post it here.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone figured out a way to mount the extinguisher in the passenger side footwell, below the dash?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:10 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Has anyone figured out a way to mount the extinguisher in the passenger side footwell, below the dash?
I would think mounting it there would make it very hard to reach from the driver's seat, especially for us short guys.
The seat bracket works very well since it moves with the seat and doesn't get in the way of someone sitting in the passenger seat.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you also do the group buy so that there is an option for just purchasing the fire extinguisher and the standard wall bracket?

I'd just prefer to make a custom mount for mine using some sheet aluminum (probably 1/4" stock)and mounting it to the front seat floor bolts in-line with the front of the passenger seat. I don't want to pay $50-$70 extra when I can make something nice for a few bucks or less.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:48 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just got an email from OG Racing and they will get back with me by tomorrow with details.
They are a Rennlist Sponsor and did a group buy on these before.
Take a look at their site here:
http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/default.asp

Tifo, I'm sure you can get the extinguisher without the mount.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete,
Thanks for emailing OG Racing. I looked over the rennlist sponsors page last night briefly and they were the only one I found that had the brackets. They do not have a Stable Energies bracket listed on their website though and I am not sure if the BK one moves with the seat. Did they possibly tell you anything different? Thanks for all the work you've put into this. If you need anything, shoot me a PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:21 PM
CMD
2nd Gear

Cool Good source for halon extinguishers

In case anybody is interested, you can get 10% off on halon extinguishers until November 30 by going to http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm and following these steps:

Select the product(s) you want to buy
Click on the "checkout" button
Click on the "Redeem Coupon" link
Type "Halon" in the "Offer number" field
Click the "Redeem Coupon" button.

H3R has cool chrome units and even less expensive reconditioned models. Both new and reconditioned halon units are less expensive than the Halotron units I've seen. You have to compare the firepower rating, not the weight. Halon is twice as effective, lb for lb than Halotron.

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread