Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004 | 02:55 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This was just posted by Tom from OG Racing in the Boxster forum on the differences between Halon and Halotron.

...we really need to compare apples to apples when disscussing fire safety systems. A 2.5lb Halotron fire extinguisher has less than half of the fire suppression capacity of a 2.5lb Halon fire extinguisher. A 2.5lb Halon extinguisher has a UL classificaton of 5-B:C, a 2.5lb Halotron extinguisher has a UL classification of 2-B:C. To achieve the 5-B:C classification with a Halotron extinguisher would require a 5lb unit. The 5lb unit offers 3 distinct disadvantages; first, it has a wall hanging bracket, that would require a vehicle mounting bracket to be purchased separatley. Second, due to size, a 5lb bottle would be more difficult to mount in a car than a 2.5lb bottle. Third, a 5lb Halotron bottle would cost more than a 2.5lb halon bottle(more money to do the same work).

To put the UL clasificatons in perspective: a classification of 2-B:C will suppress 2 square feet of fire, a classifiaction of 5-B:C will supress 5 square feet of fire.

Halotron does have a few advantages, pound for pound it costs less than Halon, though it takes twice as much to do the same work. Halotron also environmentally cleaner than Halon. Here is a link to the Halotron website: http://www.halotron-inc.com/prodinfo.htm .

If Rennlist members would prefer Halotron extinguishers to Halon, I would be happy to look into offering Halotron rather than Halon for this group buy, at a price competitive to what you quoted. Also please bear in mind that the price of the Halon extiguishers have gone up 3 times in the past 12 months and will likely go up again after the first of the year.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post
Old 11-18-2004 | 03:44 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Wow, i dont know how i missed this post at the top!!!!

OK COUNT ME IN, REGARDLESS OF PRICE!!!!!

Personally, i have dealt with OG Racing, and they are great! Their location is actually pretty close to my area as well.

I like the idea of a smaller bottle especially if its mounted infront of the passenger seat... but i just want to know whatever i have "should" be good enough to put out an engine fire caught early!

In knowing our cars are prone to stuff like this (as most high performance sports cars are...) having the best in fire protection should be just as important as our tires! I'm glad this has become an issue! It really is saddening to see this occur! Its just a car, but these mean soo much more to so many of us!

I personally believe there should be a sticky thread somewhere on the list that is just informative and locked. It should outline information about this subject and describe the difference in extinguishers and our mounting options. Many people, especially new people come to these boards, and i think it would be really good to have a strong info-thread available. Some people just don't know how to search well, or dont know what to search for, or are not aware of the possibility of fire!
Old 11-18-2004 | 05:31 PM
faithless
Pro

Hmm,
I wish I could see both Halon and Halotron 2.5 lb bottles at work on a real fire. I need some way to judge what is necessary for me.
Old 11-18-2004 | 06:01 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I wish i never HAVE to see them!
Old 11-18-2004 | 06:07 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default thank you for your interest

Tony,

Thank you for your reccomendation. If you would like to pick your products up at our warehouse, we can accomaodate you.

To all,

I am in the middle of working out the details of this group buy with Pete. If any of you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Tom Seymour
tom@ogracing.com
800.934.9112 x15
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 11-18-2004 | 07:53 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Count me in as another interested 'Lister. I prefer a "bottle and bracket" package and want red too (semi-******!).
Old 11-18-2004 | 08:26 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I kinda like the chrome bottle! Will there be a choice?

A question for Tom though. Are you speaking of the location in Manassas? If so it would be very convenient for pickup. I was wondering though, do you guys offer installation assistance on location? (even at a cost) If not its no big deal. Im asking only on the assumption that the seat needs to be removed to install the bracketing. (electric seat)
Old 11-18-2004 | 10:57 PM
aribop
Race Car

Pete,
Put me down for one chrome and one red, and two brackets for power seats.
Albert

Last edited by aribop; 11-24-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2004 | 11:00 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Albert, I'm going to start a thread tomorrow for everyone who will definitely buy one to post in. I want to get as accurate an account as possible.
I will also post pricing tomorrow.
Keep watching.
Old 11-18-2004 | 11:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

would be nice to offer BOTH, but I understand if this isnt an option.

Regardless- cheap insurance.
Old 11-19-2004 | 02:35 AM
faithless
Pro

Damn aribop... I like the colors on that engine. & the yellows. Very very nice job.
Old 11-19-2004 | 11:02 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very interested in the purchase. I was in a Sunbeam Tiger that caught fire back in high school days. Quite exhilirating!!! I want to evolve a system like "horsepowerfarm" has in his. Automatic/manual discharge, multi-nozzle, with bottle on floor behind passenger seat.

Jim 1987 944S (car fire! "gonna no mair dae that!!!")
Old 11-19-2004 | 02:51 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tony,

If you, or any other Rennlist members, are interested in chrome extinguishers, I would be happy to offer them for the same discount as the red bottles. Pricing for chrome wil be as follows, retail: $179.00 rennlist: $155.00.

We have actually moved to Sterling from Manassas. If you are in Washington D.C., we are actually a little easier to get to. Our new location is just off of the Dulles Toll Road, so you don't have to drive on 66 .

As for installation unfortunately, we do not have the facilities for it. Here is a link to the installation instructions.
http://www.bkauto.com./porsche/instructions/R-2016.pdf If you have any questions on the install, let me know, I will do my best to answer them quickly.

Tom Seymour
tom@ogracing.com
800.934.9112 x15
Old 11-19-2004 | 04:43 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

I just want to make sure I'm clear - the group buy from OG is for Halon 2.5 and a bracket - iirc, from Brey Kraus - again iirc, the Brey Kraus does NOT move with the seat structure, correct? Is there an option for the one mentioned earlier (curse my old age and failing memory) which DOES move with the seat? Or, if not, can anyone with this BK bracket comment on whether there is any restriction on moving the seat all the way forward?

Regardless I am interested in the group buy, just making sure I get the best options. At this point is the OG buy ready to go and approved, or are we still waiting on something?
Old 11-19-2004 | 05:31 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

The BK Bracket for **Power** seats does not move with the seat and does block some of the forward adjustment. I had to move mine from the Drivers side to the Passenger side as I couldn't get the seat as far forward as I wanted. The BK bracket for the **Manual** seat moves with the seat.

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread