Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:51 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

pete.. how about this

halon extinguishers from safecraft (comes with a bracket for mounting.. but you need to bolt the mount to somthing.. hense why you need og..)..

and then the og seat bracket mounters (so you can mount em to the seat)

i wouldnt buy halatron unless halon was completely outlawed and was no longer in existance (which i doubt it ever will be).
Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only a $10 difference between OG and Safecraft Harry. I'm checking to see if I can get a better deal.
Shipping in one package may also save a buck or two.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:13 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

the group buy we had was 100.. if you can work out same deal thats 25 difference

you are right though.. shipping in one package would be cheeper most likely.

just a thought. bored nothing to do at work but sit here and bicker about the cost of a fire extinguisher on rennlist..
Old 11-18-2004, 01:17 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Interesting read on those whove used Halon and what it can and cannot do:

http://www.clubcobra.com/t56179--1.html

Drivewerks pricing: Halon 2.5lb $125 (red), $157 (chrome) also free ship over $50 limited time
http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...Safet2_pg2.htm
Old 11-18-2004, 01:55 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by Fishey
This thread has me scratching my head.

$120 for a extinguisher that only MIGHT get used seems like a big waste of money.

I have done my research on multiple diffrent types of fire extinguishers for a report in a chemistry class and I am really having a hard time seeing the point of spending so much on a "Halon" fire Extinguisher. The only advantage of Halon is that there is no cleanup involved after you spray it.

However for a grand spanking total of less then $15 you can buy a Sodium Bicarbonate B,C extinguisher. Like the ones in these links. (They are DOT legal and have good brakets that come with them)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...27317?v=glance
http://www.polsteins.com/ki4kifiaw2lb1.html

A great thing about Sodium Bicarbonate is its a more effective fire suppresent then Halon. The other great thing is that unlike other types of dry chemical extinguishers it is pretty safe for your paint/engine/etc over the short term unless you dont clean it off for a long time as it acts like salt. However Ammonium Phosphate A, B, C (very Acidic) will hurt paint/wires over the short term. I know that it would still require a good amount of work to get the enginebay/whatever clean but I think you would want to take a close look at you wireing anyway to make sure nothing else got fried plus its $105 cheaper.
Fishey,
I'm having a hard time believing this is true. It seems silly to me that if there was a superior fuel/electrical fire fighting chemical that the FAA would require Halon ONLY on aircraft. If that were true, there would be no market for Halon, due to its heavy drawbacks concerning the environment and high cost of recycling.

There are multiple benefits to Halon and Halotron over dry chemical. Firstly, it will NOT damage any electrical component or surface of any type. If you spray a dry chemical like that into the engine bay, you will have tough luck slavaging ANY electrical component. The dry chemical is so fine that it will settle into the smallest areas and start to corrode out parts. It's a total mess. Halon is a gas upon discharge. Being a gas, it is translucent which means your vision is not impaired while spraying. It will flow through small areas and crevices unlike a heavy dry chemical. With a dry chemical, you MUST make contact with the flame itself in order for the chemical to smother the fire. How do you suppose you are gonna put out the fire if the hood of the car is down and not to mention burning hot. Halon can be sprayed directly into the grill of the car, and the propellant will force the gas throughout the engine bay. All dry chemical extinguishers suffer one major drawback. Because the chemical powder has a relatively high mass, it requires much more of the argon or other type of non-flammable gas to propell the chemical from the container. Dry chemical extinguishers suffer extremely poor shelf-life because their pressure is so much higher. In addition to these drawbacks, the chemical can also end up becoming very compacted in the bottle. This can be due to gravity forcing the powder to settle, and also due to moisture. The last thing I want is a fire extinguisher that will not perform its duty when needed. Halon has a six year shelf-life, before any need for inspection.

Halotron was developed as a safer alternative to Halon. As we all know, Halon is a CFC and is very damaging to our environment. Being a less damaging substance, it can be produced for much less money. One difference between the two is that Halotron is discharged as a liquid sort of steam. However, the liquid is volatile so it evaporates very quickly. This assures that there will be no residue left over and no damage done to any electrical components, etc. Hoffman is right, Halotron is NOT as effective as Halon, but it is very very close, and offers a better price. It is an accepted alternative to Halon in many applications, including aviation purpose.

Since my Dad wants to put one in each car we own right now, buying three bottles at $120 dollars a piece is pretty high. I would rather stick with the $87 Halotron alternative. x3 it's a major savings..
Old 11-18-2004, 09:26 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

What's the current price estimate?
I'm interested.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:18 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Just some thoughts :

-dry powder extinguishers -

while these good for smothering a fire, there are some negative qualities....the powder is corrosive, abrasive, and can cause severe breathing problems if inhaled. This product is only available as a "handheld" and not as an "installed system"

-halon/halotron:

-while these are clean and do smother the fire, these too, have negative qualities....halon works by supressing the oxygen, this concentration is very difficult to achieve in a moving vehicle.
-by the time a sufficient concentration has been achieved to extinguish the fire, the same concentration will also extinguish the DRIVER.... (most drivers will tell you that this is a BAD thing...)
-for a liquid fed fire, such as oil or gasoline, halon is not the best agent, as it will not smother the fire as well as a liquid or powder will.

-all of the above systems are complex to re-fill - you must send the bottle away to a lab, and the refill is expensive.

Several companies (SPA Technique for one) make a product known as AFFF (aqueous film forming foam) This is a liquid (a type of glycol) that will smother the fire, is NOT toxic, corrosive, poisionous, or degrading to the environment. It is also water washable, and, as such, can be blown clean with an air hose. If discharged, the bottle can be re-filled in about 20 minutes. It is also approved by all the major sanctioning bodies.
This product is available as a "handheld", and as an "installed system" in both mechanical and electrical actuation.

If anyone is interested in "group buy", let me know and I will get a quote from the manufacturer.

Last edited by GUMBALL; 11-18-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:40 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Roasted nuts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Win,
I just read your post to my wife. I was reading it to her to get the A-OK to buy a few bottles.

Almost pissed myself when we realized that if heaven forbid there is a fire in your car there would be a roasted Win, but no roasted nuts!

I surely aint no expert, but maybe the nozzle on the nads should get the rest of you too.

Must protect the family jewels!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:00 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

As for Winslow's aiming, it makes perfect sense to me. The nozzles are foggers, so they fan out. You don't want it aimed at your face, nor your feet. What is half way? Yep, the jewels.

As for halon, it is very cool stuff. A friend used to sell them (long ago) and would do a demonstration where he would shoot some into his bare hand. It sat there, boiling, in his hand. Wave that hand anywhere near a fire and it would snuff. Afterwards his hand was clean and dry. He did some other tricks too.

The argument about halon not working in a moving car or open cockpit is BUNK to us. Gentlemen, if you have an on-board fire while moving, STOP the car! Get out! THEN, and only then, use your handheld halon extinguisher to extinguish the problem. For those of you who want an in-car system with jets and plumbing so you can activate it while on the back straight at 180MPH, OK, maybe this group buy isn't for you.

I'm sorry this group buy has gotten so complicated with different types. If I still needed one I'd get the halon without a doubt. If you can get it for $10 cheaper elsewhere, do it. Pete's offer seems perfect, and I hope 100 guys jump on it. Put it under the christmas tree, so just in case your tree lights up, you will be ready!

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 11-18-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Having a career as a firefighter in my past... I know Halon and Halotron (tri-gas) works just fine on vehicle fires. Hell.. if you really wanted to save some money, go with CO2. All three of these gasses work as effective as ABC extinguishers without the corrosive mess.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All right folks here's what I have so far:
Tom at OG Racing has told me that Amerex has raised prices 3 times recently on Halon and may raise it again. The price is the best he can do and says that the shipped total price should be under $200 for the extinguisher and bracket.
From what I read here it seems that Halon is preferred over Halotron but if that's what you want I'll get a price on that.
I am waiting on a price from Safecraft but I think it may be the same as what OG is quoting. One advantage for OG is that they will have these in stock to handle the group buy.
I have also pm'd GUMBALL to get a price on AFFF extinguishers.

So basically it comes down to "What do you want?"
Halon seems like the best, Halotron is cheaper, AFFF-I don't know yet.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:18 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be interested in either a Halon or Halotron.

Nothing else. No dry chem, AFFF, wet blankets, squirtguns, baking powder, dirt, rice or whatever.

Most of us have spent big $$$ on our cars, and if there is a fire, I don't want to mess everything up under the hood with the product that is supposed to be saving my car. I've already got a drychem, it is better than nothing, but I want to get rid of it and move up to something better.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tifo, that's how I see it. I have a lot "invested" in my car and I want to have the best protection I can get. If Halon is best, I don't mind payng $10 or $15 more for it.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:27 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I would be interested in either a Halon or Halotron.

Nothing else. No dry chem, AFFF, wet blankets, squirtguns, baking powder, dirt, rice or whatever.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:16 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

These guys seem to have a lot of air. You could always extinguish a car fire the old fashioned way.

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread