Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who will reach 400rwhp first
daniel
45.16%
andrew
54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Race Daniel951 VS NZ951 (first one to 400rwhp)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004 | 03:35 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

NZ is money crazy he throws so much into tiny details

Screw race gas, NZ got a P&P head and a MAP (which i believe is better than MAF) and a stand alone, so he could really change stuff, unlike your ARC2 (which in my opinion isn't a good tuning module like Link, Mafterburner etc.. ).

Not trying to start fights or shoot flames, but daniel you have some serious HP at low boost. But when we are talking about 400whp, in your case, hit 20psi and you should be there (or even over). But NZ has P&P thus he has better flow and VE, so he could hit those numbers at lower boost levels.

With that said, i would rather see who could hit 400whp on pump gas, 18lbs boost and holding a flatter TQ/HP numbers rather than 'who could do what first'.

Daniel: I love your numbers (350+whp on 16-17psi) without P&P, so im voting for you but watch out...NZ is no joke when it comes down to competition

The beauty of MAP setups is that you could actually throw away the entire intake system (as in air filter, snokle etc) since you are measuring pressure inside the manifold, thus you could measure air AFTER it passes the turbocharger, more precise. MAF measure air BEFORE it enters the turbo.......just my opinion here. MAF is 80's technology, MAP's are 90's so, newer technology (PS some 928 models have MAF systems). Anyway, your tied with andrew (thanks to me )
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

wow this poll is closer than the presidential election!
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

This entire post is a joke, right?

NZ is money crazy he throws so much into tiny details
Money does not guarantee a fast car, I have seen 10K dollar rotaries that never even turned over. I will grant you that money can certainly make you look like less of an a$$ as it covers your blunders.

Screw race gas, NZ got a P&P head and a MAP (which i believe is better than MAF) and a stand alone, so he could really change stuff, unlike your ARC2 (which in my opinion isn't a good tuning module like Link, Mafterburner etc.. ).
1) Race gas needed to avoid detonation at high PSI.
2) P&P head without cam change is probably worth a whopping 3 HP. Yeah, I got one of them too.
3) MAP vs. MAF is an unwinnable debate they both work, neither is appreciably better than the other
4) Stand alone good if you know how to use it
5) ARC-2 does a just fine job, are there better pieces of equipment? Yep.

Not trying to start fights or shoot flames, but daniel you have some serious HP at low boost. But when we are talking about 400whp, in your case, hit 20psi and you should be there (or even over).
Maybe, maybe not. I can recall seeing VERY few dyno chart at 400HP with less than 22 psi.

But NZ has P&P thus he has better flow and VE, so he could hit those numbers at lower boost levels.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on compressor type, weight of parts, etc. So many variable here there is really no way to compare.

With that said, i would rather see who could hit 400whp on pump gas, 18lbs boost and holding a flatter TQ/HP numbers rather than 'who could do what first'.
No problem, bigger turbo. Do you want to DRIVE the car or make huge numbers on the dyno? Anything can be done but you have to choose what you want.

Bill, it was a race between the two of them, not an absolute. Plenty of people have done 400HP before.
Old 11-02-2004 | 04:11 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would have to say that with your current setups, just run water/methanol injection + 110 octane with a good fuel map and start cranking the boost. Why not just run 23-25psi?

350hp - 17psi
360hp - 18psi
370hp - 19psi
380hp - 20psi
390hp - 21psi
400hp - 22psi

That is using a conservative 1psi = +10hp. I have heard anywhere from 10-15hp/psi. Could be completely bogus though.

Your HG might blow, but if you keep your intake charge temps low + race fuel + a good fuel map, you SHOULD be fine. Will you be fine? I wouldn't bet my own 951 on it, but I would put someone else's on the line.

Wait a sec...Daniel you said you are running N/A pistons? KABOOOOMMMM!!!!

Good luck and bring on the HG pics!!! I mean dyno videos!!!

Max
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:13 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Daniel, you need to dyno your car in 4th gear next time to get realistic numbers... you have a VERY similar (almost identical) setup to mine though, so its interesting seing what kind of power you're making....
-Randy
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:16 PM
RMills944
Drifting

When you go for the dyno run for 400Hp, you better post videos, thats all I have to say.
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:21 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

forget posting videos sell tickets to the dyno instead that way you car start raising money for the new head gaskets. Goodluck with the race to 400WHP.
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:27 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Nz951 and Daniel951 have you guys ever thought about using CO2 or nitrous to chill your intercoolers? Idea is the same as a water spray but you have a small tank of liquid CO2 or your choice of liquified gas and you just spray the intercooler and chill it WAY down. It's great for short runs like drag racing and dyno'ing but almost completely unrealistic for street driving but like I said it might be a way to make this race a bit safer for your engines.
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:52 PM
daniel951
Race Car

When running na high compression pistons u aren't allowed to run higher boost like 25 etc.. but u are able to make more power running less boost. Danno is running the same setup in his car right now. If i blow a head gasket oh well. looks like i will be doing a port and polish
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:54 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by macnewma

Wait a sec...Daniel you said you are running N/A pistons? KABOOOOMMMM!!!!

Good luck and bring on the HG pics!!! I mean dyno videos!!!

Max
Sounds like no cofidence. We will see K
Old 11-02-2004 | 09:21 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by ECUdooberhead
Daniel, you need to dyno your car in 4th gear next time to get realistic numbers... you have a VERY similar (almost identical) setup to mine though, so its interesting seing what kind of power you're making....
-Randy
Randy i made 320+rwhp at around 13psi i have the sheet if u want to check it out
Old 11-03-2004 | 01:06 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H

Money does not guarantee a fast car, I have seen 10K dollar rotaries that never even turned over. I will grant you that money can certainly make you look like less of an a$$ as it covers your blunders.

1) Race gas needed to avoid detonation at high PSI.
2) P&P head without cam change is probably worth a whopping 3 HP. Yeah, I got one of them too.
3) MAP vs. MAF is an unwinnable debate they both work, neither is appreciably better than the other
4) Stand alone good if you know how to use it
5) ARC-2 does a just fine job, are there better pieces of equipment? Yep.

Maybe, maybe not. I can recall seeing VERY few dyno chart at 400HP with less than 22 psi.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on compressor type, weight of parts, etc. So many variable here there is really no way to compare.

No problem, bigger turbo. Do you want to DRIVE the car or make huge numbers on the dyno? Anything can be done but you have to choose what you want.

Bill, it was a race between the two of them, not an absolute. Plenty of people have done 400HP before.
i love you matt...thank you
Old 11-03-2004 | 01:36 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt H

Do you want to DRIVE the car or make huge numbers on the dyno? Anything can be done but you have to choose what you want.
They are choosing what they want. They want to see who can hit 400rwhp first.

By the way, even if plenty of people have done 400rwhp, it is still impressive.

Why did you decide to use higher compression pistons daniel? I know you said Danno is using them, but how much more power do they help make? What mods need to be done in order to use them? It seems risky to me, but if it is done right it could be pretty cool.
Old 11-03-2004 | 01:44 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by badass951
They are choosing what they want. They want to see who can hit 400rwhp first.

By the way, even if plenty of people have done 400rwhp, it is still impressive.

Why did you decide to use higher compression pistons daniel? I know you said Danno is using them, but how much more power do they help make? What mods need to be done in order to use them? It seems risky to me, but if it is done right it could be pretty cool.
I didn't install the pistons. Actually to tell u the truth i didn't even know they were even in there until danno looked at some of my pics and noticed them. They seemed to help alot because i didn't even think it was possible to make over 300rwhp at 13psi which i made 320rwhp. I think this engine has been messed with alot so who knows what else is done.

I just wanted to hit 400rwhp of course i am going to set up the car right so it won't just be a dyno queen.
Old 11-03-2004 | 01:56 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Badass, read the whole post that wasnt directed at Daniel but the other poster who said they wanted to make X... I will be aiming at the 400HP mark myself.

Quick Reply: Race Daniel951 VS NZ951 (first one to 400rwhp)