Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Cop cited me with 3 violations in 1 stop!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Cop cited me with 3 violations in 1 stop!!

Last edited by Cyrus951; 07-28-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i got a ticket for doin 60 in a 45 (not radared i was "paced") and improper lane change said i crossed through 4 lanes ( 3 lane highway). In Georgia under 18 are required to see the judge they dont let you pay it so i went. I didn't try to fight anything, He said have ya ever been in a limo i said no sir he said well imma send one to ya every mornin to go to school i wanted to ask if he wa gonna be my driver. After that statement he pulls out a toy school bus lol. then he tells me i cant drive for the first semester and tells me to write a 2 page paper on safe driving. I guess i was lucky to not get any fines soo good luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Cyrus,
Have you had a chance to send that part back to me? I've got someone who wants it.
Jason
Old 10-12-2004, 10:19 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW I think you should just dress nice, go to court, and calmly explain that you were not evading. Show proof that the registration was mailed if possible. Don't even bother with the mistakes on the ticket, judges don't care about that.
If you behave well and stay nice and calm you may only get a fine for the speed and the turn signal and he should drop the registration.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

get a lawyer.. bout your only real good chance of fighting any of those charges
Old 10-12-2004, 10:22 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

know anyone else that was nearby enough to testify; maybe someone else who was on their way to school? 65 in a 45 is hard to contest without witnesses, but worth a shot. You may be able to if your record is clean. Try at all costs to avoid bringing up the being chased/not able to see him; if the court is particulary strict they may turn this into proof of negligence. (careless driving is a misdeamenor in colorado). Sounds like they have you on unsafe turn if you did indeed not have signals and cut someone off. Registration you are fine. Contact the court listed on the ticket and speak to them about the registration, try to get that dropped ASAP.

Its up to you I think whether or not to go to court, in colorado the point reductions for mail in plea bargains are half. You may be able to get a better plea bargain with the DA, you may not. All of this is null if there is a mandatory court appearance on the ticket, then my advice is to come to court fully prepared with all pertinent laws and past cases that would help you. Just having this with you may persuade the DA to give you a better deal, better prepared people are harder to try in court. If any of those charges is a criminal one (misdeamenor/felony) and you dont get a good plea bargain; request a trial with the largest jury possible. All it takes is one juror that doubts the city's case and your home free. The more jurors, the more likely one will say not guilty.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:27 PM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, its probably not the first time you've ever broken the speed limit. I think that a judge will rather here a 17yr old just admit to what he did than any excuse because he has heard them all. You got caught, it happens to all of us, don't be pissed at the cop he is here to protect you.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

as far as the 'fleeing' claim goes you can look at it two ways.. either you were fleeing, or you deserve an equipment viloation for having tin that was too dark on there.. take your pick. just be glad that wasnt added on there for a 4th ticket.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 PM
IMB951
Drifting

hopefully you don't have to pay your own insurance, cause if you do get convicted its going to skyrocket

17 yr old in a 250+hp turbocharged Porsche... insurance nightmare
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutley take it to court.

The best outcome would be to pay a lowered fine for doing 55 in a 45mph zone. And have the unsafe turn and driving without reg. tickets thrown out.

Justice/Judge will not care about misspellings or incorrect ticket fields. EXCEPT for the "heavy traffic" note.

I had a ticket once for taking a shortcut by turning up into a street which was restricted to local traffic. (which technically, I was) Cop said in court that it was moderate to light traffic that day. I insisted it was complete gridlock, and showed to the judge the newspaper clipping from that day showing "smallville" was shooting a scene and had two city blocks blocked off, which caused traffic to be re-routed and jammed. The were a few other incontinuities with what happened and what the officer said. The Judge threw out the ticket because we both had conflicting stories.

I believe that if you are guilty of commiting a traffic offense, you should pay the fine - BUT - there is nothing wrong with disputing the FINE AMOUNT on a ticket even if you are guilty.

I suggest disputing the other two tickets outright, and simply asking for a reduced fine on the speeding ticket. The judge will see you are being honest and are conceding some guilt, and will go much easier on you.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, don't mention the tint or your lack of seatbelt. it will make you look like a dumbass. I also suggest you start wearing your seatbelt more often and get rid of the limo tint.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Cyrus you probably don't want to hear this but............you're 17.....and drive a Speed yellow Porsche turbo with limo tint on the hatch............the cop most likely had a hard-on for you and was sticking it to you good.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrus951
Pete, please don't move this, I need the 944/51 opinion.

Hello,

Today, at around 8:10 am, I was pulled over one block away from school.
The officer opened his door, said "Turn off the engine," walked up to me, and took my keys. I tried to ask wtf was going on, but he just asked for my license/reg and walked back to his patrol car.
So here he comes 20 minutes later, with 3 f*cking violations.
1) Violation 2236DVC - UNSAFE SPEED 65 IN A 45
2) VIOLATION 22107VC - UNSAFE TURN
3) VIOLAITON 4000@1VC - EXPIRED REGISTRATION

As soon as he hands me the ticket, he tells me, I should arrest you for what you did. I asked, excuse me? What did I do? He said, I've been chasing you for a mile and a half, you didn't see my lights? I said no, I honestly did not (my hatch has a limo tint), as soon as I heard your siren, I looked in my rearview and pulled over to the shoulder. He says, I really think you were trying to get away from me, I say, officer, I would NEVER even think of doing anything that stupid. He hands me the ticket to sign, and as I try to further question him regarding the other violations, he hands me back my keys, and says Put your belt on, this car can kill you. He walks away and leaves.

The honest truth is that I did not see the cop, until he honked his siren at me.
And I was NOT going 65mph, he didn't even radar me, he PACED me. I was going 55mph in a 45mph zone at most. Regarding my registration, I mailed the money for it last week, and am waiting for my tags, so I have nothing to worry about regarding that.

I want to know, what I should do to battle these fines, because I was not driving 65mph. I was at least 10mph under that.
On my ticket, he spelled my address wrong, my name wrong, he wrote 507 under weight, when my license says I was 5' 07 (from two years ago, thank you ) and he labeled my race as 130, which is how much I weighed two years ago. He also labeled the street to have "heavy" traffic, when in fact there were only 3 other cars on it. I was wondering, if he was careless enough to make these stupid mistakes on the ticket, then can I use these thing in court against him. Like label all the mistakes to the judge, and say, if he made ALL of these mistakes on a piece of paper, then maybe he read the wrong numbers on the speedo (remember he was PACING me).

Regarding the "unsafe lane change," he said he saw me cut off 3 trucks, while he was chasing me (I cut off 1 truck, a Uhaul truck). He thought I was trying to run away. Also, my turn signals aren't working as of today, because I took the emergency flasher light out, to do some interior work yesterday, and without it, the car wont signal turns.
How much of a fine am I looking to get for this "unsafe" lane change?

Any ideas on what I can do or say to contest these violations?
I've heard about postponding the court date three times, so that he eventually won't show.. Any other ideas?
I'm 17, and can't afford this right now.

Thanks
You're up **** creek. Either way youre gonna be dishing some money. The lawyer will cost more than the fines..and you still dont have a definite victory. Your best hope is to plead not guilty and hopefully the cop wont show to court. If he doesn't, itll probably be dismissed.

Otherwise, prepare to pay. Maybe sell the 951 and get a much safer/slower n/a, you wreckless teen punk! JK
Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Cyrus how in fact did you get that car insured? I remember calling my insurance company a while ago just to see for giggles what they would quote me if I simply changed my car to a 951- they flat out said NO! We will NOT insure you! I contested that and IIRC they came back with a quote of over 2,000 dollars a year... I have a totally clean record as well
Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Do I really have to worry about this fleeing thing? The cop didn't mention anything about it on the ticket, is it a tool he can use against me in court? Has anyone heard anything about postponing the court date to the maximum three times, and hope the officer does not show to contest the ticket.
Am I going to be 1v1 with the judge or a 2v1 with the cop and the judge against me (remember, I'm still a "juvenile") Also, what I'm I looking to be paying if I'm found guilty of all three, including court costs (if any)
btw- This is the first time I've been pulled over by a cop, I was wearing my seatbelt (took it off when I pulled over), and I can't drive without my tint

Quick Reply: Help!! Cop cited me with 3 violations in 1 stop!!