Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Cop cited me with 3 violations in 1 stop!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,

I dunno, the first insurance company (21st centrury) I called said they would insure me with liabilty for $1200/year. I've been driving it since 15.

btw- ALL 3 of my violations were marked as INFRACTIONS
Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about postponing the court date to the maximum three times, and hope the officer does not show to contest the ticket.

MANY TIMES!!!! you see.. i have a ****ty *** record. too many speeding tickets. had to get a lawyer to help twice in high school. this was one of the tricks we used. the other thing we did was bargan down the lesser speeding/and one stop sign offenses to muffler violations (not points violation), but the accident i had, and one of the faster speding tickets couldnt be dropped. note.. i havent had a ticket in 3 years now.. ive seen the error of my ways.

also note, ive never had a tickt in the porsche. which i find odd considering my record.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup get a lawyer, if a cop can't write the proper information in the correct spots (on a ticket i am sure he issues multiple times a day), then he probably can't pace you correctly either....at least use that argument. I had a freind get out of a ticket because the cop marked that he ran a stoplight, when in fact it was only a stop sign he ran Fight it to the death, if you plea with the judge and he reduces it to 55, it is still speeding, and your insurance will go up, if you can get a lawyer to fight a case for you, there is a chance it will get thrown out. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:51 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cyrus951
Ian,

I dunno, the first insurance company (21st centrury) I called said they would insure me with liabilty for $1200/year. I've been driving it since 15.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats amazing! I need a new insurer lol, I pay more than that on my S! Allstate sucks!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Nice, check out what my friend gave me.. http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html

Any more tips??
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd pay the legal fees; at least you'll keep it off your record. Either way I'd be stunned if you got out of this for under a grand.

That totally sucks, I know but let's look at the facts - you're a young kid in a turbo Porsche. Cops (and judges) are going to instantly think "cha-ching". The system right now is WAY past "due process" IMO, it's there to generate revenue, and a lot of it. Why do you think the guy wrote you three tickets? So you can't get out of it with traffic school or a missed court date - you're going to get nailed and good on at least one.

Read the citation; I think if you have an expired registration you can get that one dismissed if you present an up-to-date registration to the court within so many days - I got a "fix it" ticket for a burned out taillight about 2 years ago and it was just like that. The unsafe turn and speeding you'll need legal counsel to fight. If you do it on your own it's a guaranteed loss.

Sorry man, that's the dirty side of California and our wonderful "life in America" - the working honest people get punished and the undeserving get all the breaks. Sorry, I'm a bitter cynical guy lately, but I feel your pain.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:25 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

I was looking at fighting a ticket (38 in a 25) and the attorney was going to charge $500 for everything. I didn't do that but I still have the contact in Southern Cali if you like.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:34 AM
StupEd05
Pro

I have had MANY friends who have had tickets thrown out for the cop improperly filling it out. One the judge even YELLED at the cop and told him to act more professional. Maybe it depends on the judge, but I would definitely bring it up, and say that if the cop made THAT many mistakes that he obviously isnt taking his job very seriously and needs to slow and pay more attention to things.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:35 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Plead guilty and be honest with the judge. Tell him you were probably over the SL but not 65mph. Explain that with all the school traffic you are always looking ahead and just never looked in your RV mirror. The unsafe turn who knows, maybe it was. Look at from a judges point of view, he has kids in there every day lieing straight to his face. Swallow your pride, teel the truth, and accept partial guilt because you know you were wrong...and you might surprised how you get treated...whoever tells the truth in Traffic Court.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Get a lawyer. Most judges do not care if the cop does not have the ticket filled in just right. If he shows up he may give a pretty scary accounting of chasing you through traffic watching you cut off trucks.
Get a lawyer... or a bus pass and a bicycle.
-Joel
Old 10-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Originally Posted by Cyrus951
Ian,

Sounds like you guys need new insurance guys. I have had a speeding ticket on my old car and full coverage is 500/ 6 months for my 951. Its actually a little less because I store it in the winter. I pay ~750 a year.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:50 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by StupEd05
I have had MANY friends who have had tickets thrown out for the cop improperly filling it out. One the judge even YELLED at the cop and told him to act more professional. Maybe it depends on the judge, but I would definitely bring it up, and say that if the cop made THAT many mistakes that he obviously isnt taking his job very seriously and needs to slow and pay more attention to things.
had that happen before. had 2 citations on a ticket, moms boss a lawyer took a look it it caught it, and when i brought it up in court, the judge threw it out, made a couple of comments about the cop when he was in the room (not yelling.. but some snide remarks), and said it was my lucky day, gave me a few words and let me go. that was the last time i had a ticket too.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:58 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was paced at 95 mph by the CHP... also written down was unsafe lane changing and reckless driving.. Though reckless driving was dropped.. Supposedly i cut across all 4 lanes of the freeway and cut off a mini van.. While i did cut off the mini van.. i was doing around 82 not 95! and i cut across only 2 lanes.. The one day i drive my sisters toyota camry.. The officer asked me what my hurry was.. "Im late to church".. anyways.. i paid about 450 bucks for that...i was 17 and 11/12ths.. couldnt wait one more month.. and since ur a minor, theyll come down on you to make an example.. Try to get the police report on your ticket and it will help you case a lot if you are trying to fight it.

-al
Old 10-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The judge is going to side with the cop in most cases (happened to me many times in the past). Limo tint is fully legal and you can black out your rear with paint if you want to. Registration ticket could be a fixer or not. Sometimes, they will cite you for not displaying valid registration so it doesn't matter if you paid or not as long as you don't have the tag on, you have to pay. If you can go to traffic school, do it to get the points off but I doubt you are going to be able to get off all 3. If you go to court and lose your case, they can charge you a court assessment fee on top of the fines (ask me how I know). You are going to have a tough time challenging dangerous lane change because its subjective. If you are not signaling, some consider that unsafe though I don't use it most of the time because lots of drivers will purposely speed up to NOT let you in the lane. Anyway you look at it, you are looking at damage control but I doubt you will be able to come out unscratched. Postpone the ticket 3 times and the 3rd time, plead for traffic school from the start instead of fighting the cop is my suggestion. One friend (cop) told me there is nothing better than for him to go to court for a ticket. Its like taking a day off because he gets paid for doing very little more than showing up in court and say a couple things. Good luck in anycase.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:17 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

a. I've had tickets thrown out because of incorrect infomation (the judge did *not* side with the sleazy cop)
b. definitely do go and fight it if you have the time; be forthright and respectful if you go in
c. don't give in, just because you feel it's futile; it's kinda like a big game, but you gotta play it to win
d. the cop will have to prove you were doing the speed you did (or other infractions), if you can prove that he screwed up on something that he wrote you up for, the jugde will doubt the cop; but make sure you can prove as much as possible - the judge will want to know the "hows" and "whys" and he will be no fool

legoland: LA is hard core, I know.... I don't miss that part of it, the cops being ruthless, brutal and relentless trying to get people for something, anything they can grab; it's got that acidic odor of corruption of the local govt victimizing the ignorant masses

Quick Reply: Help!! Cop cited me with 3 violations in 1 stop!!