Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP now - I can't get the engine off the driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 08:17 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Default HELP now - I can't get the engine off the driveshaft

i have the 944S engine hanging by the driveshaft - the four torque tube bolts are out, but the engine won't seem to disengage from the driveshaft itself. what do i do? it seems like i'm bending the driveshaft because of the engine weight.

i unfortunately don't have the luxury of a hoist - i'm using jacks and stands.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:19 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this an auto?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:21 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Is this an auto?
no, its a manual
Old 07-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that one "special screwdriver" should help....I beleive it's called a friggin huge prybar....
Old 07-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

You need to raise the front of the torque tube up just a hair or jack up the front of the engine to get it at more of an angle. You are just stuck on it, no worries, never NOT been stuck when coming out. Wait to you go to put it back together!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup... put it on the bellhousing and pry back on the driveshaft.....
but it might not be safe without a lift....you could knock the engine over......not good.

also..taking the radiator, radiator support bracket...cap and rotor, off make the job easier. as you can then move the engine farther forward. oh..and headlight bar.

you also might want to undo the gray thingy(??) that connects the drive shaft to the transmission.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

thanks everybody. i've lowered the car to the ground enough so the engine is resting on the ground - it won't be a large fall if anything. i guess i just need to inch it forward a bit more. any chance that i have bent the driveshaft?

i've also already removed the radiator, air filter housing, and belts so i've got plenty of room in front.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

:O :O :O
!!!
You have it HANGING that much?????
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noooo brad...he has the car lowered to the ground so the engine can sit on the ground.
sheesh...
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Joseph, I have let mine hang overnight a few times, not likely to bend the driveshaft, that sucker is stout. With the engine on the ground it is going to be dam near impossible to separate them. You have the shaft in a bind, you are going to have to have either the engine or the bellhousing able to move up and down. Sorry.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:56 PM
mossy
Instructor

Hi Joseph.
It's damn tricky. Please don't allow the engine to rest on the propshaft, that's the last thing you want to bend.....
I'm racking my brain to try to remember how to get the motor out through the top...... Have you tried loosening the propshaft at the gearbox end to get the extra 1inch that you need??? (Through the gearbox inspection hole)
As Campeck said, get the rad out. You don't need to dismantle the lights.....
Mossy
Just remembered..... Get the PS pully off the crank, now it will clear the lights....
Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

"I can't get the engine off the driveshaft"

thats what she said
Old 07-25-2004, 09:27 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by hoffman912
"I can't get the engine off the driveshaft"

thats what she said
nyuk nyuk nyuk. wiseguy.

i still can't get the two separated despite rocking it back and forth and trying a pry bar between the two. i'll let it sit overnight and figure out what to do tomorrow.

mossy - the engine is partly resting on the ground and partly hanging from the driveshaft. now why did i decide to do this job myself? was it for the satisfaction?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you placed your jack under the oil pan of the engine yet? Once you remove those 4 TT bolts, that engine wants to slump. so you should slap a 2/4 on the bottom of the engine, put a jack under there and jack the engine up about an inch or so. Also, are you remembering that you have to turn the torque tube 180 degrees to clear the dog ears over the rear cross member? It won't slide back if you dont do that first.

Edit:
Nevermind, i take it you are dropping the engine without removing the tranny....i was thinking you were going in from the rear.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Predator
Pro

I take it that you're removing the engine without removing the tranny and TT, Right? IMHO, big mistake. If you think getting it out is a royal PITA, wait til you attempt to re-install it. I'm not saying its impossible, but.....? Removing the tranny, then TT is a little laborous, but its not brain surgery. Getting the driveshaft to align with the pilot bearing correctly upon re-installation, is akin to a miracle! If you do suceed, you're most likely damage the pilot bearing, and you'll get to do this all over again shortly. Its much simplier to manuver the TT to align it all than the heavy engine. The correct procedure is: remove tranny; disconnect TT and move it toward the rear of the car; remove engine; re-install engine; attach TT; re-install tranny. In the long run, it will take less time, damage fewer parts, and, most importantly, be performed correctly. Good luck!

Quick Reply: HELP now - I can't get the engine off the driveshaft