Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP now - I can't get the engine off the driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:55 AM
mossy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done!!! It's like getting a square peg in a round hole......
Let us know how you get on with the rebuild, and remember:
You're not alone.....
Old 11-03-2004, 05:02 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
next up: remove the bellhousing
Hey guys, I'm stuck here. I have my engine on the floor, ready to rock and roll. But I can't get the bellhousing loose! Obvioulsy I have the four bolts out, but no amount of rocking, prying, smacking, swearing, singing, or even cuddling will make this thing come off. It has a spring-like tendency to it, as if the bellhousing is rigidly connected to the PP spring.

Do I need to disassemble part of the clutch fork to get the bellhousing off?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to pull the clutch fork retaining pin.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:06 PM
mossy
Instructor

Hmmm.... I may be wrong, but I remember loosening the propshaft (torque tube) and undoing the rear gearbox mounts to get mine out...... <edit: sorry, didn't read that you already had the engine out.> Also there is a bolt that you must insert into the bell housing to get the clutch to "release".

Last edited by mossy; 11-03-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:36 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

yea, the bellhousing comes right off once you get the clutch release fork out.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

yea, the bellhousing comes right off once you get the clutch release fork out.
Yup...ask me how i know...
Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, thank goodness I only pried at the bellhousing 'lightly'. That might have been a royal PITA.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:44 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
that one "special screwdriver" should help....I beleive it's called a friggin huge prybar....
lol, this cracked me up that's what i would have thought to use too

congrats on getting the engine off the driveshaft joseph. see, now we switch experience slightly, as i've done a clutch replacement so i've had the torque tube off the engine. i'd imagine that pulling the engine off the torque tube would be harder than getting everything back together. on my car, i lined everything up, put the torque tube into the pilot bearing part of the way, and tightening up those four bolts that attach the torque tube to the bellhousing drives it in the rest of the way. when i did it, i went back and forth between the four bolts, only turning about a half turn on each one because i didn't want the torque tube to go in crooked and damage the pilot bearing. i figured by only tightening a bit at a time on each one, this would keep things relatively straight

edit: on your site, i see the car with the engine out. is this your second time pulling the engine?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:08 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dualblade
edit: on your site, i see the car with the engine out. is this your second time pulling the engine?
no, this is the first time. it's been slow going because of job, finances, machine shop turnaround time, etc. the engine came out by the end of the summer, and i'm just getting around to putting it back together.

BTW - nice suggestions for getting the engine back on the torque tube. i'll give it a try.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dualblade
lol, this cracked me up that's what i would have thought to use too
hahaha! I forgot I said that! but yeah...it worked for me!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:14 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

no, this is the first time. it's been slow going because of job, finances, machine shop turnaround time, etc. the engine came out by the end of the summer, and i'm just getting around to putting it back together.

BTW - nice suggestions for getting the engine back on the torque tube. i'll give it a try.
whoops, didn't even realize that this had been bumped up from a long time ago. as for my instructions, they are slightly different for you since you'll be putting the engine onto the torque tube instead of vice versa. the rest should be the same though. when the torque tube feels like it's starting to go into the driveshaft, no need to ram the engine home. just keep it on the hoist and tighten those 4 bolts to pull things together. obviously, do it slowly and carefully enough so that you will be able to feel if things are going in crooked; don't want to crush the pilot bearing as that will result in unpleasant noises and alot of swearing
Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
yup... put it on the bellhousing and pry back on the driveshaft.....
but it might not be safe without a lift....you could knock the engine over......not good.

also..taking the radiator, radiator support bracket...cap and rotor, off make the job easier. as you can then move the engine farther forward. oh..and headlight bar.

you also might want to undo the gray thingy(??) that connects the drive shaft to the transmission.
There is no point in touching the headlight bar. Its clearly out of the way... As long as the radiator is out, thats more than enough room. When i did my engine transplant, i even left the radiator on and was still able to do it. Unfortunately...i also creased the rad. with the rotor.

One thing you have to ensure to get the engine off is that the driveshaft and crank are parallel. The engine weights a lot (350 lbs?) and with all that weight on an angle, its not going to go anywhere.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
I take it that you're removing the engine without removing the tranny and TT, Right? IMHO, big mistake. If you think getting it out is a royal PITA, wait til you attempt to re-install it. I'm not saying its impossible, but.....? Removing the tranny, then TT is a little laborous, but its not brain surgery. Getting the driveshaft to align with the pilot bearing correctly upon re-installation, is akin to a miracle! If you do suceed, you're most likely damage the pilot bearing, and you'll get to do this all over again shortly. Its much simplier to manuver the TT to align it all than the heavy engine. The correct procedure is: remove tranny; disconnect TT and move it toward the rear of the car; remove engine; re-install engine; attach TT; re-install tranny. In the long run, it will take less time, damage fewer parts, and, most importantly, be performed correctly. Good luck!
Really?? I got the driveshaft in within 2-3 minutes of pushing and pulling. Keyword: parallel. Although, thats not to say i didnt pop open a beer once it was in!

Quick Reply: HELP now - I can't get the engine off the driveshaft