Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member! Carbon Fiber One (CF1)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 10:56 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Another vote for the 968 wing and na front lip (like pictured on the first page. I wouldn't want a splitter).

BB.
Old 06-29-2004 | 12:02 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DanG
My bad streckfu. Well then either this GT or the AIR, but more aggressive than the B&W one originally posted.
No biggie.....

The GT has more surface area and will generate more downforce than the AIR, however I feel the AIR is a much better looking piece (more OEM in appearance).

From what I've heard the AIR works better on the street as it allows a little more clearance. I have the GT and have to be pretty careful with driveways and dips.
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:16 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Well thank your for your inquiry, the products I am interested in include:

1. The 968 Turbo RS rear spoiler for a 944 Turbo.
2. A hood with:
A. Nacta duct to feed cold air to the intake (eg: behind left headlight)
B. A vent and duct work to extra hot inter cooler and possibly radiator air.
3. A carbon fiber intake with individual throttle bodies (944 Turbo)
4. A vented nose panel and headlight enclosure as a single piece. (This combines two well loved modifications)
A. Venting the Nose panel and adding duct work allows more air to be routed through the intercooler.
B. Many people would like to eliminate the pop-up headlights. (This reduces weight and improves aerodynamics. The 924 GTR, factory LeMans entry, has flat headlights that many people like. You might convince Ice Shark to advise on quality lighting options. )

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:32 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Originally posted by streckfu's951
From what I've heard the AIR works better on the street as it allows a little more clearance. I have the GT and have to be pretty careful with driveways and dips.
Im going to have to totally disagree. The AIR I managed to crack about 2/3x times within weeks of driving it from being repaired....being careful. The Gt-Racing one hasnt hit anything yet, not one scrape since Ive been behind the wheel. Im careful on driveways and entrances, but it doesnt stick out downward, just outward...more functional I think. The AIR does look better IMHO...eh, I want both.
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:36 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I've scraped my AIR several times now. The bottom edge along the front doesn't look so pretty now, but it hasn't cracked from hitting anything yet.

If you mount it secure enough, you will find it hard to break. I hit a fox at 60 mph and all it did was break the speed nuts on the bumper cover causing the splitter to droop in the middle.

Functionality on the other hand...anybody have a wind tunnel? Or good at CFD analysis?
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:39 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I'd like to see an affordable carbon fiber hood thats under 400 bucks. Everywhere I look they cost an arm, a leg, and your left ball... My car needs a hood due to old bondo showing and I'd like to upgrade to carbonfiber, but paint the top of the hood because I refuse to have carbon fiber showing on the exterior of my car.

Andy
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:42 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll throw another vote on the turbo RS wing.

Also the notes about fixed headlight buckets. I think guys like myself and Matt H would be more concerned with a quality job here vs low cost. We both realize to be done properly it isn't going to be a simple thing.

ELLSSUU mentioned a foglight replacement brake duct for the turbo front fascia. That's a good idea. I've seen pictures of cars with those, but I've no idea where they're sold. I'd think the track guys would be all over those.

Lastly, there was a thread in the turbo/turbo S forum that had a pic of a CF intake that was intriguing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=intake
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:49 PM
2+2
Pro

This is great and I dont know if you are still reading the board but can you may a complete tailight assembly that updates the look of hte car...i.e. gets rid of the borders and the orange color. You can work with the Rennlister for the lens specifics. This should have a broad based appeal for the complete 944 line....
Old 06-29-2004 | 02:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Could you also make a carbon fiber tub like Kelly-Moss does for the 996?
Old 06-29-2004 | 02:11 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

THis is the most excited I have seen you guys in awhile. CF1, it would be great if you came through. Even if only for a few of the items listed you'd make a lot of days for a lot of 994 owners!

Melissa
Old 06-29-2004 | 02:13 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Originally posted by MelissaInNJ
THis is the most excited I have seen you guys in awhile. CF1, it would be great if you came through. Even if only for a few of the items listed you'd make a lot of days for a lot of 944 owners!

Melissa
Damn typos!

Melissa *expert typist!!!*
Old 06-29-2004 | 02:17 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Melissa, you can edit your posts and fix those.

Little white square with the pencil next to it above "post reply"
Old 06-29-2004 | 02:37 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

could you make a duct that wouldnt be as small as a NACA but more of a scoop right behind driver headlight for us that want to keep our headlights...(me) and you cauld even have like a little bend of metal inside the hood that the air would hit and be forced down instead of traveling straight to the brakebooster?
Old 06-29-2004 | 03:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by OriginalSterm
I've scraped my AIR several times now. The bottom edge along the front doesn't look so pretty now, but it hasn't cracked from hitting anything yet.

If you mount it secure enough, you will find it hard to break. I hit a fox at 60 mph and all it did was break the speed nuts on the bumper cover causing the splitter to droop in the middle.

Functionality on the other hand...anybody have a wind tunnel? Or good at CFD analysis?
I 100% guarantee you that they are functional. A splitter works by preventing air from going under the car. These are both well designed splitters.

Real splitters are largely horizontal as these are. Much that the aftermarket for road cars call all sorts of junk "splitters" that really aren't. In fact, many of the same aftermarket companies talk about "ground effects" but really just mean silly body panels. True ground effects are managed underbody airflow that creates downforce such as the tunnels in Champ Cars or the diffusers in F1 cars.

Anyway, back to functionality....

While they are functional, the question remains regarding the effect on aero balance.
Old 06-29-2004 | 03:04 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

I'd be really interested in parts that significantly reduce the weight of the car. As Colin Chapman said - to go faster - add lightness.

Anyone geeky enough to craft a spreadsheet detailing major components and their weight? Graphing that would show you where the "real" wins would be. (Might not all be parts that can be done in CF though.)

Maybe Magnesium trannys are the best bet - but $$$$! Oh, a CF torque tube might be a big win.

RK

Quick Reply: new member! Carbon Fiber One (CF1)