Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member! Carbon Fiber One (CF1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:08 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Tifo completely - it just wouldn't look right to leave the stock rubber trim peices.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:08 PM
carbonfiberone
Track Day

Originally posted by tifosiman
If reference my earlier post in this thread, I commmented on this a bit. To expand on this:

The stock rubber trim and wing on a 944 is very easy to remove, it should take about 10 minutes to take all of that off so that all you are left with is the hatch glass with the mounting holes. I highly suggest you get your hands on some real or replica 968 wing trim pieces (and a replica wing) and then copy them in fiberglass. If I was closer you could just borrow mine for a bit. I know that Scott Harrison (sh944 here on the BBS) has the complete replica wing and trim pieces, unmounted and un-painted. Maybe you should contact him to buy/borrow it to model your product after. It would then be "plu-n-play" and look correct, instead of cobbling something together with the existing trim pieces (which, IMHO, would look like *** because it gets too thick near the rear of the car).
We've already gotten in contact with Scott!
and good news, we found our 968 adjustable spoiler! it's a replica and will need a little work but nothing we can't handle.

if you guys want it to fit without the rubber moulding, then so be it. i may run another thread to see what the general consensus is on that before moving forward, but you guys are in full control of the design. i guess we can make the bridge spoiler work w/ the mouldings and have the turbo wing be a complete replacement.

Eyal, we will still need your car b/c yours is NA and we have another local guy who has a turbo.

About the header and headlight panels: The NA and S2 and Turbo nose use slightly different headlight covers and header panels. You would either have to make both or make one and advertise that it wouldn't fit the other. I would also be interested in carbon replacements for the black pastic headlight lens surrounds. The 951 specific cover is difficult to find and would look uber cool in unpainted carbon. Should be easy to make too.
if the headers panels are all different, that wouldn't be very cost effective for us to make all three, so we'll which one is the most popular and start with that. but do you like the idea of integrating vents to cool off the intercooler?

we'll take a look at the black platic headlight lens surrounds as well.

the downside of having a carbon fiber bumper on a daily driver is that it will have very little give and could be prone to cracking upon impact by another vehicle. but a cf bumper on a race/track car is a totally different story!

if we eliminate the hood pistons, that makes our lives so much easier. we can put in functional vents so lets hear your suggestions on the best place to put them.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:19 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Excellent.

I think I was a little unclear with my description of the differences between the header panels and headlights. The S2 and the Turbo are the same, whereas the NA is just slightly different (enough to make them incompatible - or at least fit poorly). There are only 2 types of headers and headlight covers.

Eyal's car is also a turbo.

Hood vents - I think the ideal location would be in the front driver side corner, where most aftermarket intake systems are routed. Another idea would be an intercooler exit vent - a lot of people would be interested in that, however it might require relocating the latch mechanism (depending on the design).

I already have an aftermarket FG front bumper that incorporates the header panel with intercooler vents. It looks great and is functional, so I'd say plan on incorporating vents, most would want them.

I'd definitely buy a pair of headlight covers as well as the plastic surround peice. It would also be cool to put a vent in the driver side headlight cover, since that would also feed the intake. I'm picturing a rectangular vent that is the same width and lines up with the NACA duct in the drivers side front corner of the hood. Would look integrated and would be functional.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 PM
carbonfiberone
Track Day

I see. if we go with a heat extraction style hood, we can not use the stock latch and have you guys use hood pins. you'll lose even more weight!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See hood vents here please...
http://www.968.net/racing/bruces_turbo_rs.htm
Old 07-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

"Eyal, we will still need your car b/c yours is NA and we have another local guy who has a turbo."
No, mine is the turbo... remember, i was the one with the car that wasn't running at the moment because some upgrades are on the way?
still need it now?
~Eyal
Old 07-09-2004, 02:23 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally volunteered my NA, but I was hoping to have another one for a daily driver.

I can always stop by for any kind of measurements etc...
213-675-seven.four.eight.six

Currently , I can't even get my hatch open to install my new shocks for the hatch. I will of course fix it tomorrow.

Don
Old 07-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

944 turbo hood with 968 turbo RS vent in the middle and some ducting to the back of the intercooler to pull air through... hell if you just make a replica vent i will hack saw my own hood.

i really like the piece that covers the windshield wipers below the windshield, see following links:
http://www.968.net/racing/rennsports_turbo_rs.htm
http://www.lindseyracing.com/car4sale.htm

some type of pre cut floor piece for the drivers feet because i have no carpet and the uneven floor bothers me and im too lazy to make a piece of metal to give myself a flat floor, you can see some of it in the following links:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/pics/4sale010.jpg
http://www.lindseyracing.com/car4sale.htm

and lastly a 968 rear bumper that is as bolt on as possible for the 944 turbo (there will obviously be cutting involved but make the bondo work after that minimal.

if you make a hood forvet about stock latches and shocks... 4 hood pins does the trick.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 AM
JoakimJ
Instructor

Hi.

You can buy the 968 RS wing made by carbon fiber in sweden.
It's priced apox ~ 1,107.98 USD.
The same piece in glassfiber costs 878.538 USD.

... just as reference prices.

Last edited by JoakimJ; 07-09-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:10 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by carbonfiberone

if you guys want it to fit without the rubber moulding, then so be it. i may run another thread to see what the general consensus is on that before moving forward, but you guys are in full control of the design. i guess we can make the bridge spoiler work w/ the mouldings and have the turbo wing be a complete replacement.
I think it's important that you make a complete replica of the bridge spoiler / RS wing. I for one, am not interested in anything that looks "similar"; something that uses parts of the exsisting spoiler. I want an excact copy of the bridge spoiler or RS-spoiler.
I'd hate to see you guys going through alot of trouble making products for us, only to find out you missed the target slightly with consequently low sales.
Listen to what we want, and if you can't make what we want, move on to another product.

I'm also interested in a headlight panel with vent and the vented nosepanel.

Also please let us know which of the products are paintable (CF / FG).

Last edited by schnellfahrer; 07-09-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Its so funny how many talk about wanting the 968 rs spoiler...but when it comes to time to spend the money who actually will...? I happen to know a great deal about these rs wings, as I have one non-adjustable on my car, and another adjustable just chillin in my basement....so If you guys need any specs, pics, etc let me know.....

And good luck with this...IM hoping for a N/A chin spoiler.....!

DAmian
Old 07-09-2004, 08:31 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Damian, I can't speak for others, but the reason I didn't fork out my cash for one during your group buy was the fact that I had a bad feeling about VZ. And, by your own accord, look at how bad things went for you. If this is a competent US supplier that can get it done right and be easier to deal with, then it's a no brainer.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:43 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you could make 968 mirrors that use the 944 motors so you just need the glass that would be sweet. Also, I would be in for the carbon headlight covers, what about 968 side skirts?
Old 07-10-2004, 05:02 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Lead Foot 944
...but when it comes to time to spend the money who actually will...?
DAmian
I guess you know about this considering the group buy you administered.
There have been threads about the bridge spoiler for as long as I've been a member. People are interested for sure. I guess it boils down "how much".

I would've bought one from VZ, if it weren't from reading about the bad expierience you guys had with the group buy.

CF1 should give us a ballpark figure for the different products they are considering making and see what our reactions are before continuing.

VZ charges apprx. $450 for the adjustable 968 spoiler, apprx. $380 for the non-adjustable and apprx. $350 for the standard bridge-spoiler. These are fiberglass.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:13 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen as low as USD280 for a non adjustable one... I think he will sell more 968 style mirrors and head light covers.

Quick Reply: new member! Carbon Fiber One (CF1)