Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Baton is Passed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 07:05 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 518 Posts

Was that a PBBlaster wipe down? That stuff is magic!
Old 01-17-2023, 07:08 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

Absolutely! I always keep 3-4 cans on hand.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:38 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Wait... What? PB blaster as a cleaner? How do I not know about this? What do you use it on? I would have thought it would be a bit corrosive. Smells corrosive.

When I first got into 944's, I spent most of the first year over on the 944Online forums. Ian and Steve are the GOATS. They just do all the work on kits and knowing the RIGHT parts for you. And are just great guys.

I find I make up excuses to support the shops like theirs. In a way, it's like voting on who gets to stay on the island... With money. I have a F9T prime fuel pump relay just because I want to support what Joe is doing. I've ordered stuff I didn't exactly NEED from Kyle, just because I appreciate the niche he fills. I just ordered new under hood insulation from Classic9 for the same reason, even though there were cheaper options out there. Rod didn't have the decals I wanted in stock, but we've been working together to get it done. I ordered the improved (and much more expensive) A/C tensioner bar from Jason at Paragon just because I love when someone innovates a new and better solution, just for our cars.

And every one of these people, and many I didn't mention, will bend over backwards to help you out with their knowledge.

Sorry... I kinda went off. I've been into Mustangs (my first car 34 years ago was a 68). I've been into F-bodies, love me a Firebird. Even founded a club. I've been into Corvettes, C3's forever! I've done the BMW thing, got a 740IL. But there is nothing like this community out there. And I just like to take every chance I get to recognize that.

The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (06-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 04:18 PM
Chalt
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Was that a PBBlaster wipe down? That stuff is magic!
Never used it as a cleaner. I dislike the odor of it.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:54 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

I actually learned about PB Blaster from the antique motorcycle community as those guys would use the stuff as wax on turn of the century bikes (1900's). I was heavily involved with Indian Motorcycles back in the 90's, having owned pieces ranging back from a 1906 Camelback to the late 1920's Chiefs and Scouts. Here's an old pic of a couple that I was fortunate to own: The Black/Red Scout was an early 1928, 45" that was my daily driver for a couple of years.

Tiger03447 (01-18-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 02:30 PM
Chalt
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pfarah7
I actually learned about PB Blaster from the antique motorcycle community as those guys would use the stuff as wax on turn of the century bikes (1900's). I was heavily involved with Indian Motorcycles back in the 90's, having owned pieces ranging back from a 1906 Camelback to the late 1920's Chiefs and Scouts. Here's an old pic of a couple that I was fortunate to own: The Black/Red Scout was an early 1928, 45" that was my daily driver for a couple of years.
1) Did the smell evaporate? (smells awful to me)
2) What parts were coated with it? Painted surfaces? Tires? Metal engine parts?
We want to know more!

Nice bikes!

Last edited by Chalt; 01-19-2023 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added compliment
Old 01-19-2023, 05:25 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Are you asking about the bikes or our cars?

Motorcycles: Tin panels, frame and any other metal surfaces.
Our cars: Engine bay, undercarriage, suspension, shields, wheel wells, etc.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:56 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Today's update:
New bushings were installed on the front sway bar as the old ones were shot. I also brought the exhaust to my buddy's shop for some R&R, should have it back sometime next week. In the meantime, I inspected the rear brakes for any excessive wear and they seemed to be in good shape (one less thing I have to take apart).

Before:

After:

Old 01-20-2023, 10:10 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Patrick you are a fanatic! But a good one keep at it. On a quick side note I have been involved in some serious family ordeals not health wise but money wise and just frustrating. Im hoping to have a lot of that behind me by late spring early summer. Ill post in the general forum Im sure some will chime in. Hopefully I can get in my car and stretch its legs and come see you and catch who ever is willing to hang out with a redneck from Texas on the way. Keep up the good work and not only do I need motivation but Im sure others feed off your devotion to getting it done.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:36 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Hi Brad,
Sorry to hear about that; I think its happened to most of us - certainly to me several times over the course of my existence on this blue marble. I wish you only the best and please know that you are always welcome up here in Yankee Country; our guest room is open to all my fellow 944 friends.
BTW: Did you receive the decals I sent a few weeks ago?
Old 01-20-2023, 10:51 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Another update I wanted to share with the group:
I really enjoy addressing small issues, especially when the snows are flying around outside (nothing beats a climate-controlled garage). Anyway, I discovered that the engine bay light circuit had an open, which caused a non-operational lamp. It required total disassembly of the light switch housing which contains a mercury switch:

Upon disassembly, I found the recessed cup of the socket cap had corroded, which prevented continuity. A little work with my Dremel cleaned that up.

A Safety Warning to all: Mercury is nasty stuff so be VERY careful while reassembling the switch so as not to break the glass and splatter mercury everywhere. I used an angled pick and small flat screwdriver to gently pull the plastic tabs while pressing in the cap.

And Voila!, it works (and turns off when lowering the hood, just as designed!

Another project checked off...
mazdaverx7 (06-18-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 11:15 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Got the decals very cool. Im working on some ides on her to present them if you will.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:27 AM
secondchris
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great work on that switch and thanks for sharing that. I doubt many people know how that works! I had assumed there was a little plunger switch where the hood hinge retracts; never considered a mercury switch behind the light socket! Doesn't the operation of the light require the hood to be raised and also the blinker to be activated, or something weird like that?
Old 01-21-2023, 11:57 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by secondchris
Great work on that switch and thanks for sharing that. I doubt many people know how that works! I had assumed there was a little plunger switch where the hood hinge retracts; never considered a mercury switch behind the light socket! Doesn't the operation of the light require the hood to be raised and also the blinker to be activated, or something weird like that?
It will also work with the hood open and the running lights on. There is something about having the RIGHT turn signal on and the hood up I think as well. IIRK that causes just the right side running (parking) lights to come on, and the under-hood light as well. I read it's for where they drive on the wrong side of the road. It's so the marker lights closest to the road come on. But all corners don't come on. I guess to save power. I've replaced my interior, hatch, glovebox, dash, and under-hood lights with LED. Those I can leave on all day and not drain the battery they take so little power. But my running lights are all still power-hungry old-style incandescent bulbs.

I can't remember the exact combo to get the turn signal thing to work. I did test it however when I got the hood light working, and it does work.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:30 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Some Googling says the underhood light is powered by and linked to the left turn signal lights. AKA, if the left turn signal/running light is on (has power), the hood light will also come on. It can be on because the lights are on, the running lights are on, OR if you have the ignition off, the left marker lights are on. The only criteria for the hood light to come on is the left lights have power, and the hood is open, making a contact through the mercury switch. My 86 ALSO has a hood switch, right up by the brake master cylinder. But I think what was only used by the alarm. (That's what I use if for now)

The 1987 manual I have (I've never been able to find a PDF of an 86) does not mention this. And I saw some discussion that the "turn signal marker lights with the ignition off" thing may only but up to 1986. Either way, the idea was when parked, you could lock up the car, but have your street side marker lights on at night so people could see you. I have always thought it was the right-maker light (for left-hand side countries) but the discussion I saw said it was the left. To me, that would be US or right-hand side drive cars.

Either way, I do remember I did test it when I replaced my hood light 3-4 years ago, and it did work with the ignition off and one or the other of the blinkers on. (Of course, it doesn't blink with the ignition off. Just comes on solid. All markers on that side.) I'm in St Louis and about 300 miles from the car, or I would re-verify to have the info out there.

Last edited by 951Dreams; 01-21-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: The Baton is Passed...