Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 03:19 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

The wire key to the 9 pin connector, early for 1984 year
Old 05-03-2022, 04:39 PM
orig944
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks for the update, pin 4 is actually black/grey on the schematic (damn my eyes.) I think the early cars (California only) used a two pin connector for the o2 sensor heater, with wire colors not specified on the schematic.

Edit: This one: https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...onnection.html

Last edited by orig944; 05-03-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:44 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acantor
Ok so not anything of necessity was cut right. So I should just fix the bad soldering jobs and shrink wrap everything properly. Everything looks in working order correct.
Yes on the cut wires, the non cut wires are low current signal wires to instruments and are ok
Old 05-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Acantor
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Yes on the cut wires, the non cut wires are low current signal wires to instruments and are ok
Ok cool I have some more interesting wiring issues with this car that I need to address, but I think I will make that a separate thread. As for now I am supposed to get the temp sensor I'm tomorrow, and in the meantime, I will clean up this soldering mess. I am going to put shrink wrap on the ends of the cruise control wires and everywhere else that I re soldered.
The following users liked this post:
jeyjey (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 08:29 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 304 Posts

You can get the wiring harness from the 9 pin plug into the rest of the engine bay, in particular the injectors, from the "usuals". I might suggest you bite the bullet in that regard.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:22 PM
Acantor
Pro

Here is my progress. I put some heat shrink on the small cruse control wires just to be safe aswell.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:36 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acantor
Ok cool I have some more interesting wiring issues with this car that I need to address, but I think I will make that a separate thread. As for now I am supposed to get the temp sensor I'm tomorrow, and in the meantime, I will clean up this soldering mess. I am going to put shrink wrap on the ends of the cruise control wires and everywhere else that I re soldered.
Hi Acantor,
Wiring re-splicing looks good and clean. I believe the no start issue is resolved.
Tom
Old 05-07-2022, 10:29 PM
Acantor
Pro

@T&T Racing @orig944 I just put the new sensor in. It won't run. I unplugged it, and it took a couple tries but eventually it started. I tested the sensor and it is reading like 1 ohm. Did they send me a bad sensor? I unplugged it and tried it again, and it wont fire but had fuel pressure.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:37 PM
Acantor
Pro

does it need to be wet or something? I am very confused and a little ticked if the sensor is bad.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:51 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Acantor,
Below are the resistance readings, I would test the sensor by placing one probe on ground on the engine and then use the other probe to measure each contact of temp sensor to ground to see what is the resistance to ground for each contact.

Procedure

DME Temperature Sensor Resistances15-30 °C (59-86 °F)At 59 °F approximately 3.3 k-ohms
At 86 °F approximately 1.46 k-ohms
DME Temperature Sensor Resistances80 °C (176 °F)280-360 ohms
    • Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    • Disconnect the DME computer electrical connector.
    • Connect an ohmmeter between terminal 13 on the disconnected DME plug and ground.
    • Check for the following resistances:
      NOTE
      The next part of the DME temperature sensor testing assumes that the temperature gauge on the dash is working properly.

• Connect the DME plug connector.
    • Start the car and run until the temperature gauge on the dash indicates approximately 80 °C (see dash temperature gauge section). If you suspect that the dash gauge is not working properly, you can check the surface temperature on the block near the DME temperature sensor.
    • Turn the engine OFF.
    • Disconnect the DME computer plug and connect ohmmeter as described in Step 3.
    • Turn the ignition switch back ON (Do Not Attempt to Start Car) and check dash indication is still reading 80 °C. Alternatively, check the surface temperature on the block near the DME temperature sensor. Compare resistance to the value in the table below.
    • If the resistances don't meet the tolerances listed, the DME Temperature sensor should be replaced. If the resistances indicate higher than the specs, it will cause a richer mixture. Lower resistances than the specs will result in a lean mixture.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:58 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

This is the Bosch part number
This is the Porsche part number

Last edited by T&T Racing; 05-08-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

The DME temp sensor (the one with the blue plug as shown in your photo), with the plug removed, has 2 small flat blade pins. Put your two ohmeter leads on each pin to measure the resistance of the sensor. This should give you something close to the reference values quoted above so in the range 1000 to 3000 ohms (1-3 kohms). Now hook it up and check at the DME plug in the cockpit under the dash. It feeds pin 13. Checking resistance from pin 13 to a known ground should also give you the same resistance values. You can also check the sensor you just took out. It is called a Temp II sensor because its resistance increases as the temperature of the device goes down. There is a Temp I, where the resistance increases with temperture.

The sensor does not need to be grounded or wet.
BTW, the generic blue plugs that terminate a lot of your wiring harness connections are call Amp Junior connectors. They come in 2, 3, 4, etc pin configurations. They are common on European cars which means you can probably obtain bucket fulls of them at your local pick and pull. The ones on the 944 are a PIA because of the wire clip that must be prized away with a small tool. The clips tend to go missing. The better ones on later cars have a clip that releases when you squeeze them with your fingers.

There is another sensor, which is nearby, that runs the temp gauge on the dash. It has a single male blade terminal and it is grounded by its threaded fittings in the block. It has a single wire going to it with a female blade end.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:53 AM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by harveyf
The DME temp sensor (the one with the blue plug as shown in your photo), with the plug removed, has 2 small flat blade pins. Put your two ohmeter leads on each pin to measure the resistance of the sensor. This should give you something close to the reference values quoted above so in the range 1000 to 3000 ohms (1-3 kohms). Now hook it up and check at the DME plug in the cockpit under the dash. It feeds pin 13. Checking resistance from pin 13 to a known ground should also give you the same resistance values. You can also check the sensor you just took out. It is called a Temp II sensor because its resistance increases as the temperature of the device goes down. There is a Temp I, where the resistance increases with temperture.

The sensor does not need to be grounded or wet.
BTW, the generic blue plugs that terminate a lot of your wiring harness connections are call Amp Junior connectors. They come in 2, 3, 4, etc pin configurations. They are common on European cars which means you can probably obtain bucket fulls of them at your local pick and pull. The ones on the 944 are a PIA because of the wire clip that must be prized away with a small tool. The clips tend to go missing. The better ones on later cars have a clip that releases when you squeeze them with your fingers.

There is another sensor, which is nearby, that runs the temp gauge on the dash. It has a single male blade terminal and it is grounded by its threaded fittings in the block. It has a single wire going to it with a female blade end.
Ok so in the picture I sent, it again should not read 0 even from terminal to terminal. And from the dme with it plugged in, it should read the same right.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:03 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Yes.
Maybe an issue. Some meters are wierd. I see you have it on the 2K range. And the meter is showing 00.2. That "may" mean 0.2 of 2K, I don't know or something like that. If you just hold the two leads together, that is what zero looks like on your meter. You might want to compare notes with someone with another meter and make sure you are reading the meter correctly.
And yes, the bottom line is that you need to read a reasonable resistance value at terminal 13 on the DME plug, which is what the DME brain will see and use as part of its algorithm.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:25 PM
orig944
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts

The on/off switch at the top of your meter appears to be in the wrong position.

Quick Reply: No Start Problem