Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 02:05 PM
Acantor
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by orig944
Measure the resistance of the sensor with the engine cold. There still may be an issue that unplugging it is masking. If it is shorted, replace it. If not, there is still something else wrong.
ok checking now!
Old 05-01-2022, 02:09 PM
Acantor
Pro

@orig944 it doesn't read on the sensor. It is as if it is a broken circuit reading infinite ohms/nothing.

Last edited by Acantor; 05-01-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:12 PM
orig944
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts

Makes no sense, that should be the same as unplugging it.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:16 PM
Acantor
Pro

Makes no sense, that should be the same as unplugging it.
IT beats me. But I think I should order a new one and see if the problem goes away.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:17 PM
Acantor
Pro

Maybe @T&T Racing could weigh in on this being well versed in electrical engineering
Old 05-01-2022, 02:30 PM
orig944
Pro

You might have wiggled something else unplugging it that actually is the problem. BTW, the meter you are using has absolutely crap leads that fail open at times (I've personally experienced this, twice.) Double check that you get continuity by shorting them before measuring resistance.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:50 PM
Acantor
Pro

You might have wiggled something else unplugging it that actually is the problem. BTW, the meter you are using has absolutely crap leads that fail open at times (I've personally experienced this, twice.) Double check that you get continuity by shorting them before measuring resistance.
I touched them together and they still work and everything. I know the meter makes no sense logically, but I am 90% sure that it is the sensor.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:13 PM
Acantor
Pro

Nvm @orig944 I dug up the nice one that I have, and it read 1ohm. Im assuming that that confirms it if I'm not mistaken. The lower the resistance the leaner the mixture correct? that's why it runs when it is unplugged with high resistance since the circuit is not complete.

Last edited by Acantor; 05-01-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:26 PM
orig944
Pro

Yep, low resistance leans the mixture. Bingo! Running rich might not be good for the catalytic converter, so replace the sensor before driving it. Your other probes are likely intermittent, sometimes making contact, other times not, depending on how the wires are flexed.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:48 PM
Acantor
Pro

Yep, low resistance leans the mixture. Bingo! Running rich might not be good for the catalytic converter, so replace the sensor before driving it. Your other probes are likely intermittent, sometimes making contact, other times not, depending on how the wires are flexed.
HAHAHA you think I have cats! I bought it straight piped and with aftermarket headers, but it still sounds like a lawn mower lol.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:55 PM
Acantor
Pro

I really appreciate all the help guys I could not have diagnosed this issue without you! I will make another update to this thread once I get the new one installed and hopefully running properly.

Thanks again,
Austin
The following users liked this post:
will968 (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 05:21 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Acantor
I am even more speechless now that did the trick she purrs like a kitten!!!!!!!!! Coolant temp sensor it it I guess. Still a little bit shocked though

Is it safe to run it without this sensor? Or do I need the sensor to be replaced before I drive it?
When the engine reaches operating temperature, the fuel/air mixture will be too rich, making the engine hesitate or not accelerate properly.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
When the engine reaches operating temperature, the fuel/air mixture will be too rich, making the engine hesitate or not accelerate properly.
Makes sense
Old 05-01-2022, 06:55 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

You might have wiggled something else unplugging it that actually is the problem. .
Hi Acantor,
All that is known is the DME temp sensor tested open circuit after removing the blue plug and the engine started and ran at idle.
What is not known is the DME temp sensor resistance prior to removing the fuel rail to do the injector flow test. What is known is spraying starter fluid into the J boot started the engine.
1. To start the engine, the DME temp sensor has to be greater than 1.5K to 3.0K ohms, open circuit is greater than required, so engine should have started w/o starter fluid if the injectors were pulsing. If the DME temp sensor condition was the same as tested, assumption is the fuel injectors were not pulsing.
2. Removing the fuel rail from the intake manifold and doing the flow test indicated the fuel injectors were pulsing. If statement #1 is true, then removing the fuel rail wiggled the wiring to eliminate a high resistance condition that made the injectors not be able to pulse
3. If the DME temp sensor was shorted, then the engine would not start and spraying starter fluid in J boot would start the engine with the extra fuel not provided by the increased pulsing initiated from the DME.

Based on my experience, the situation is not permanently fixed. Please provide a photo of the 9 pin connector and a description of what wire was fixed ( in particular the thick red/blue wire)
Tom
Old 05-01-2022, 07:45 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Hi Acantor,
All that is known is the DME temp sensor tested open circuit after removing the blue plug and the engine started and ran at idle.
What is not known is the DME temp sensor resistance prior to removing the fuel rail to do the injector flow test. What is known is spraying starter fluid into the J boot started the engine.
1. To start the engine, the DME temp sensor has to be greater than 1.5K to 3.0K ohms, open circuit is greater than required, so engine should have started w/o starter fluid if the injectors were pulsing. If the DME temp sensor condition was the same as tested, assumption is the fuel injectors were not pulsing.
2. Removing the fuel rail from the intake manifold and doing the flow test indicated the fuel injectors were pulsing. If statement #1 is true, then removing the fuel rail wiggled the wiring to eliminate a high resistance condition that made the injectors not be able to pulse
3. If the DME temp sensor was shorted, then the engine would not start and spraying starter fluid in J boot would start the engine with the extra fuel not provided by the increased pulsing initiated from the DME.

Based on my experience, the situation is not permanently fixed. Please provide a photo of the 9 pin connector and a description of what wire was fixed ( in particular the thick red/blue wire)
Tom
I am guessing you are talking about the one by the brake booster. I will send a picture tomorrow morning when am free.

Quick Reply: No Start Problem