Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a few words before I go...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:53 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a few words before I go...

I remember signing on to this list a few years ago. 1998 I believe. I know then I really only posted in the email forums. I don't even know if the WebForums existed then. It was a great place to get to know people and talk about our Porsche's. Infact I started the SoCal Pizza meetings back then, and we met I believe once a month during the summer and then a few times during the winter. I met a lot of great people doing that, and I still see most of them at racing events. In those arlier days, I was working out of my garage, doing small things here and there for people I would meet at various events. Doing this, I eventually met Derek Khajavi at Huntley Racing. Bought a few mods from him, and eventually started making small parts and doing some polishing for him on his MAF kits that he was selling. He was also working from his garage at the time. I also just met Tim Ricjards about that time on the older email forums of this list, and one evening he called me to ride along with him to a pre purchase inspection he wanted on a 951 that he was going to buy. Tim and I became great friends after that first meeting. Infact, Tim and myself started working together on the small items for huntley Racing. THen Derek told me he was planning on moving from his garage, but needed a mechanic and wanted me to work for him as he opened his first professsional location.I agreed and from there Derek and I went all over the place buying equipment for the shop and moving his inventory from his house to the new location. I worked for Derek maybe two years before things started going bad between us. About that same time, Tim Richards and I were talking about the idea that I quit Huntley and join his efforts at Speed Force Racing, so I made the move and we became partners. Those were mostly great times, Derek, Tim , Tony, Danno, we all got along great, and even spent many hours at the local dyno shop hoping to top each other with our mods. At some point it started to become obvious to us all that we were in business for ourselves, and were forced into decisions that seemed harsh, but were based on business, flames started flying, words were said, the hate was deep at times. We would jump on this list hoping to see our friends backing us in wars, indeed, we did have our friends that would step up and fight some of our fights with us during the flames. All the time we would post our items, our bragging dyno runs, anything we could think of to draw the attention from the "other teams". It got tedious and petty at times. It was also made very clear at times by you folkes that you were tired of hearing all the crap. That we should move on, or take it off the list. Eventually it all faded away, the flames stopped between the tuners for the most part. Some have even left the list alltogether. I at the time would have never thought about leaving the list, I even sponsored it for a while. Then I made a decision to stop the sponsorship. And now I'm making a decision to leave the list. BUT before I go, I would like to say a few words. Some of you may not care..and some may want to argue what I have to say. But it will have to be argued with me in private via my personal email address from this point on. So, with that said...

I don't know how many thousands of people visit this list, but I do know I have done business with a few of you. I have also been a big help to many on this list with detailed help regarding any issues you may have been posting about. One of my posts happened to be a very long and detailed proceedure on the entire head removal for a 951. Down to the screws and bolts, how to get at them, there location, tools for each nut etc etc...the point is, I think you guys take alot of what the SHOPS do for you on this list for granted. I know Derek would help in the same way as Lindsey Racing did, and Speed Force Racing along with Danno at Guru. We all have spent countless hours on this list helping alot of you with advice on your problems, and I knmow for a fact combined we have all saved alot of folks on here a ton of cash. But I guess that really doesn't matter to you guys any longer...it seems this list has gone to discussions on subwoofers, clear tail lights, getting out of speeding tickets, posting nude shots of your girlfriends, and the all time " I'm thinking of getting a 944 next year, who's a good source for a throttle cam?"......Mix that with the eagerness you show of pouncing and beating to a bloody pulp, any tuner that may or may not have done harm to one of you. Its a good thing most of you are not on a jury...I say that because you cast you vote without even the slightest hint of both stories when there is a good tuner bashing within sight. Instead of telling people to take it off the list (n as you did us tuners) you hide behind your bullcrap excuse that you need to see this stuff, that you need to be aware, so that you never make the mistake of doing business with a tuner thats the "meat of the day". even though most of you have no intention or a complete lack of cash to even entertain the thought of a supercharger kit, or a new motor. Instead, you get caught up in the frenzy, even saying things like you would be willing to drive out and take care of the issue with a baseball bat....your eyes start to bulge out, the little veins peaking over the meaty white orb, your brow crinkles, sweat beads start rolling down your cheeks, lips curled back, teeth nashing....your hair starts to take on the Ienstein fashion...fingers typing so fast the words are filling your pathetic little "reply" box faster than your three cell brain can keep up...don't forget the personal attacks you keep saying to yourself, I...must....make.....personal...attacks. Funny, I doubt any of you would talk to anyone like you do on the list in person...infact, it would most likely be harmful to your health if you did. I think someon did an age check on this list...and to no surprise, it showed most of you to be under 21 I believe, and it shows. Given that fact, and the posts I see from a lot of you guys, telling us how your "saving up" for that exhaust tip, means the chance that you will ever buy from or subscribe to a shop for anything is slim at best. So go ahead, tell us all how we are theives, tell us how you, the guy that bitches about the hefty 9.00 price tag for an exhaust O ring , will never do business with me. I really love you guys that have never called me, visited our website, emailed me, or even exchanged posts with me, can immediately get swept up in the mass hysteria of a tuner killing, and start running off at the fingers about how you feel about me. Thats awsome. We make mistakes, and those are corrected, then there are those mistakes, that no matter how you try to correct them, can only get worse, because the customer is already tainted...so eventually it becomes useless, but only after trying. I've made a lot of friends on here, and they know this is not aimed at them. Those who read this will know where they fall, not just upset customers, but lurkers and posters, its easy to figure out. Who are you???

So, to this list....I am outa here....and it feels good! To those of you level headed people, the serious people....and you know who you are. If you can find the strength to wade through the crap this list slings around...feel free to call me, contrary to what is said...we do answere the tele here, but our number has to be dialed to gety it to ring :-)

See ya!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:25 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well john, it is too bad that you are leaving the board, i think you have helped out a lot of people, and i think a lot of people appreciate guys like you more than you will ever know. As it is with any forum, things get posted that shouldn't, off topic or not. As i have said before, people have no business posting on forums with topics like "Getting screwed by such and such." I have said it before, business like that needs to be done behind closed doors, and not on a website where only half the story comes out. I think it has been said before, arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, no matter who wins you are still retarded. I have always appreciated that you have tried to keep those arguments to a minimum by saying, call me and we will talk, or email me and we will talk. Hats off to you, and I wish you the best in all your endevours. Sorry if my spelling sucks, the closer you get to being a doctor, the worse your spelling and handwriting gets. It is a shame to lose a resource such as yourself.

Karl
Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Excellent rant.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

John,
It is sad to see you go but looking back at some of the posts I do not blame you. I dont think Rennlisters as a group understand how much time and dedication it takes for the tuners to do what they do. If you added up all the R&D time spent on the performance of the 944 by tuners such as yourself you would find that ALL the prices for ANY of the products/services offered are a steal.
I think that some of the younger listers on here see the high price of the products for our cars and compare them with the prices of add ons for cars such as the Civic. What they do not understand is that there is a much larger market out there for those cars which in turn allows the tuners to offer those pieces for far less.
I just did a search on your username and there are HUNDREDS of posts offering nothing but free help and an endless knowledge of the intricacies of the 944. You, like many of the other tuners out there, take time away from your work to help out this community every day. I have great respect for this and it is people like you that have made Rennlist so great.
If there is anything I can do to show my personal appreciation for you or any of the other turners/gurus out there that contribute so much please just let me know.

To everyone else,
Sometimes you have to weight the good with the bad. You cannot just jump on the list and start bashing anyone who does you wrong. If you have a problem you cannot work out with the tuner/company yourself you should first contact John D. He is here to help. If a situation still cannot be resolved and mediated that way then by all means let everyone know. Just remember, if you keep running off all the people with answers around here , who will be left to help our when you need it most.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did he just call me a ricer?

Props on the rant John, but you didn't need to attack all of us.

"...fingers typing so fast the words are filling your pathetic little "reply" box faster than your three cell brain can keep up..."

Yeah. I don't appreciate that, and now I don't beleive that I'll ever do business with you. It's still RUDE IMHO to insult people who have not participated in the attacks. this is a Porsche board, we talk Porsche albeit a cylinder head removal question, or "check out this exhaust I got" and OT forums, thats just what it is. OT, so if someone is gonna post goofy sh*t in there, it's cool THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR.

Good luck, and sorry you had to be pissed at the board in whole, and not just those who have wronged you.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:43 PM
sayporsha
Pro

John,

Wow. Being new here, I had a feeling for what was going on, but you explained a lot. I hate to see you leave with your expertise, but I can't say I blame you after all that.

I do want to appeal to everyone here, regardless of age: We're here because we love these great cars. Let's show the class that the Porsche marque is worthy of, and treat each other with respect.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, ive seen many lists turn into official "OT" threads and obvious "you need to use the search key" forums. Its sad to see you leave being a great source of info and hope for us listers wanting to push the limits of our 44's, but i can understand your decision.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've made a lot of friends on here, and they know this is not aimed at them. Those who read this will know where they fall, not just upset customers, but lurkers and posters, its easy to figure out. Who are you???

I think he made it clear that it was not directed at everyone
Old 02-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaving, yeah right. You'll be back and you know it!

Old 02-27-2004, 09:48 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Just have to say Ive known you for many years, along with Tim, Derek, Tim, Tony, and the rest of the gang from the email lists...I was a dumb kid back then and Im sure you still think that John- and thats fine. All the tuners do a great service by helping out the "working man" and if you get to make a buck or two here and there off what others see you doing/promoting you deserve it. I agree there is way to much clear taillight, subwoofer, throttle cam, I want a 951, blah blah sh*t this and that but its still a great resource and I value certain peoples input. You have to take the good with the bad...too bad some people arent smart enough to see through the bad. oh well.

I hate the mud slinging, I really do. Im sure I went too far in the past with you, but at the time I felt you deserved it. Ive never really had a bad dealing with anyone on the list besides you. But either way I wish you and all the other "old school" tuners the best in whatever you do, maybe you can start playing with ferraris? those guys have money..go get 'em...

Take care.
ps. survival of the fittest man...adios.

edit: because I thought I was to nice.

Last edited by SamGrant951; 03-04-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shame to lose a good resource. I remember back in the old days when you and Tim were polishing parts! I was like a lot of listers are now, then. About 5 mins. ago I got done ranting about how no one had the right tool to remove the f'ing cam cover so I can pull the head, that is now.

I understand your frustration (doubt you'll reply) with the boards. One can say virtually anything in this cyber world and not be held accountable. While we are not often privvy to both sides of an argument you always have the opportunity to state your case. Far too often people jump to conclusions based on what one person says about a situation (I have been guilty of it myself, at times, I am sure).

That being said, poor business practice is what put Derrick out of business, not this list and it will be what puts others out of business. While we are powerful as a group, we are not stupid (the 3 brain cells bit was really innapropriate). If someone has a problem with a tuner and no one else ever has it largely gets ignored (for example, I have said many times that Lindsey has never once returned a phone call or email but others dont feel the same).

As to the comment on money, there is a grain of truth to it. However, some of us do have the money. I am over 5K in parts on my Turbo and I plan on a 2.8 or larger next year. By telling everyone to basically, go to hell, I am sure that there will be some people who might have bought from you who will no longer.

In the end if you want to leave the list that is your prerogative and I have no problem with it, though it is a shame. Throwing sucker punches on the way out the door is beneath you, or at least the you I knew on the p-files/p-list in times past.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, John you helped me a whole buncha times. I hope your back as I can understand why your leaving. Theres alot of bull**** but its also one of the best forums known to man I hope you will be back and I'll still shoot you an email when I needa buy something

take car john
mike
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see you go John, I wish we could have settled our differences but I guess you find it easier this way...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Roral
Instructor

John, after reading your post I have mixed feelings. In the beginning I did not know who you were (I didn't check to see who posted) and I thought oh no we are losing someone to another car make. But it sounded like it was the makings of a good story that many of us have, of meeting people who love these cars. (Which I am sure you still do)
As I read on, I could understand your frustration and how you would like matters between you and others to be left behind closed doors.
You must remember that many 944 owners are on a budget and that is why they own a 944 and not a 996. Sure a lot of them are under the age of 21, you have selected the car you tune. You have to realize that you have to appeal to that market. Like every one that sells 944 stuff has been saying the market for these cars is so small for the reason that not too many people are willing to put time and effort into tuning a car for they do not see a large profit margin. Many of the people that are on a budget are there for the simple reason of, going to school, doing a part time job and still wanting money to do other things. Like, keep the car on the road and fill the tank for Friday nights out on the town looking for ladies. The 3 brain cells I have and many other indentured knuckle draggers are more then likely never going to buy your products. Many realize that we bought a Porsche not a Honda, and the cost for parts or up keep is going to be a large portion of our cost of living. That is why we ask questions here, that is why we post pics of clear tail lights, or LED gauges and what have you. We are making a market for ourselves. If one person can make an easy to do mod that others will like I say all the power to them. You polished parts, you started some where. Regardless of whether people are going for the goal of starting a business, they are catering to someone’s needs, or there would be no interest and no posts. You’re entitled to your opinion, and so are all of us. I respect you for your efforts in tuning and I understand that Shops don't get the recognition they should. Which is upsetting for every one, I also have to say, none of us have said "hey (insert name here) I have this issue and I know you have the answer, what should I do?" You run a business, it’s like I know something about computers. Everyone and their dog gives me a call to have me help them out with that. I do not ask for money, yet if they went to a store they are going to be paying through the nose for help. Point is most of the time we ask openly, and whoever responses it's at their own discretion. You are a fountain of knowledge and I am sorry that you have left. Guru's, experts, or just about anyone with a real strong knowledge of this car are VERY hard to come by.
I wish you and your company the best in years to come. Hopefully, one of us 20 somethings can change your mind on what we are trying to do here with gaining knowledge from people like yourself and applying it to our cars, ultimately coming out with something they could possible sell to you as an idea to make a few bucks to put towards their car once again.

Steve
Old 02-27-2004, 11:48 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
Leaving, yeah right. You'll be back and you know it!

I doubt it... I'm sure he put a lot of thought into his decsision to leave. John was never one to fly off the handle on the list...or even get cocky. Hes gone....and that sucks for our community, hes helped us out a lot.

take care john

Quick Reply: Just a few words before I go...