Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a few words before I go...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:28 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exactly why Powerhaus is never here. They are always answering the phones and getting work for customers done. Best of luck to you John.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I for one can not believe you're running away instead of owning up to Dave.

Sam
Old 02-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the hell, heres my .002.

I’m not the least bit offended by anything John A. has said. I know he has very much been an asset to this community in the past. I know he could still be an asset to this community in the future. I know theres always two sides of an issue, and don’t know if I have seen all the facts. I also understand the frustration, the blood/sweat/tears it takes to get where John is at today. It is truly a sad day, not so much for the Rennlist Community, as it really is for John. You see, as far as I see it, no one person is ever irreplaceable to a group or community, because theres always someone out there that has learned from their predecessors failures/experiences and can and will carry on in the vacated slot. Isn't that true in every aspect of ones business pursuits, or the pursuit of ones own personal level of self worth/contribution/value to a group?

We all screw up….that we all agree on I’m sure. How we handle that fact afterwords, is what in my opinion, is one of the things that most defines our innermost values as a person first, and also, the value as percieved by others. Very few things in life can not be made right, given enough time, persistance, and most of all, desire. I think most of us already know this. (even the 3 celled brains. At 49 years old, I know I must qualify for this one).

There is a lot to be said of “old” quotes like……”Ya make your own bed, and now ya get to lie in it”

It would really be nice to see things be made right. However, I do not have any control over this particular issue. But I bet I know who does. Good luck to you John, and all your endeavors, and also your future customers, whether they are from Rennlist, or from somewhere outside of.

I said it was only worth .002!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:46 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know John was venting, just a little, but there are some of us that value the Tims and such, and I had'nt posted but about ten times before I was buying an exhaust system, wastegate, then bypass etc from guys on the board, and I suppose I will continue. And after 16 years as a homebuilder I have came to the conclusion that people are the hard part, and sometimes you just have to say "what the *@#$>. I myself appreciate all who post the serious and the humorous it all makes for good reading. Said enough thanks to all, and to all a good night. Scott
Old 02-28-2004, 11:20 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John-
I have no problem with people with knowledge helping other people. BUT:

"We make mistakes, and those are corrected, then there are those mistakes, that no matter how you try to correct them, can only get worse, because the customer is already tainted...so eventually it becomes useless, but only after trying..."

Are you saying that Dave is impossible to please, and that he is only making things worse, because he is tainted against you for some mystery reason? Why would someone as nice as Dave waste all this time if he wasn't so in the right in this case? Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

John, I don't know you, havn't called you or had you respond to one of my many tech related questions (IIRC). To be honest, the list is where I go to make new friends with common interests, who also happen to HELP each other. If I opened a Porsche repair shop I certainly would not expect my friends here to pony up the $$ to keep it open. If I fell short of an expectation, I would expect to have to own up to it and correct it. I'm not saying that you did or did not. What is right is right. If we have lost a valuable resource in you, then we are the ones deprived. I like to think however that there are those of us out here that will continue to assist the Rennlisters without expectation of reward. Like Brian's old sig. line "Advice is free...The right answer will cost you plenty." What we get from the list is what we put into it, you are not putting anything in, so you get nothing in return.

If I want help, I first need to give help.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:23 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

George Roffe and Jon Moeller said it the best.

In my own words...as I was reading John's post, I couldn't help but think...enough of the sob story!! Grow up and face your problems like a real man. Don't browbeat the entire list because of a few people that had a (legitimate) problem with you. If customers were degrading your business, there must obviously have been a legitimate reason.

I have never purchased anything from AMW before. But after this childish display I certainly never will. Grow up John and take care of business.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

I guess after having read the Dave AMW rebuild thread, then this thread, and having heard a few people lament the loss of someone like John Anderson, all I have to say is THBBBBBT! and I'm damn glad he's gone, because hopefully he won't have the opportunity to advertise for free, more people like Dave won't get screwed, and he'll go out of business as he obviously deserves. I have no comment on the Jonas issue, but even before I had read the Dave story I had lost any and all interest in ever working with AMW because of the time delayed, no contact, crap product horror stories...similar to the many tuners who have amassed more negative feedback than positive support. John had SO many opportunities to right the situation (perhaps he shouldn't have been working on cheap people's heads until 1am for free when he had a proper motor to build) with Dave, who was as patient as Job, and failed to meet those at all. The mere fact that he bailed in the face of what seems to be irrefutable (or at least irrefuted) evidence is good enough for me (leaving the scene of a crime for those who want to keep comparing those of us who criticize to jurors). As a few have said (not that I think he has the insight to continue to monitor this list) "don't let the door hit your *** on the way out" and good riddance...hopefully we won't have to hear another story like Dave's ever as it is unforgivable.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

John (3:16),

First, and foremost, DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS FORUM –EVER!!!!! or you’ll loose whatever respect I had for you! YOU called it a day and we respect you for it – it’s over.

Your advice will be missed, however, just to confirm since you’re not going to be here for me: “lefty loosey and righty tighty, right? TOO, many dave s here

From what I’ve witness this site is………… “just cute”, I don’t get very many quality answers and none from quality Porsche mechs., just lovers of the car that think they know what’s up!

Good luck in your business. After all – if your car is running “right” you don’t have any questions for Rennlist, or those that just what to hear themselves on a internet site!

Best of Luck – you’ve made the right decision.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

First, and foremost, DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS FORUM –EVER!!!!! or you’ll loose whatever respect I had for you! YOU called it a day and we respect you for it – it’s over.

Your advice will be missed, however, just to confirm since you’re not going to be here for me: “lefty loosey and righty tighty, right? TOO, many dave s here

From what I’ve witness this site is………… “just cute”, I don’t get very many quality answers and none from quality Porsche mechs., just lovers of the car that think they know what’s up!

Good luck in your business. After all – if your car is running “right” you don’t have any questions for Rennlist, or those that just what to hear themselves on a internet site!

Old 03-04-2004, 07:08 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me this forum was DESIGNED for lovers of the car to exchange ideas and experiences and describe what worked for them. I can't see why anyone would expect "quality Porsche mech's" to peruse the boards waiting to give out free advice when they can charge for it. I'm happy with the service this forum provides, it offers me POSSIBLE solutions and ideas from owners' past experiences to CHOOSE from to help a guy like me who works on his own cars as a hobby, but is not a factory trained technician. I'm 42 now and I've learned "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch", but this forum provides a pretty good free appetizer!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

Rennlist is a big board. You can't put this many people so close together, without personality clashes. Not all of our standards are the same, nor is our sense of humor.

I come from the 928 board which is a smaller group and the average age of owners is probably higher. We have "gurus" who disappear for a while when the board heads south or completely OT, but they come back. I've done it myself. I have provided allot of help to others for the 928 , a car I know quite well. You participate in topics, or you ignore that which doesn't interest you.

With the addition of the 924S, I've been on this board also and I have to say, it's different. But that's not a bad thing. I'm 40 (ish) and getting allot of tech help from kids who still live with their parents! That's cool. It's great to see the energy and different perspective many people have on this board. We all bring something to the table.

As far as doing business on Rennlist, leaving Rennlist is a mistake. Rennlist brings Porsche owners and enthusiasts to you. Being on Rennlist dealing with "customers" is like hanging an "open" sign on your front door. You never know who might walk in, who you might be talking to and who might spend money with you as opposed to those who will waste your time. The nice thing about Rennlist is that once you get a feel for who's who, you can distance yourself from the time-wasters. It's allot easier than throwing someone out of your office.

As far as vendor-bashing, I don't agree with it, but it's the same thing these people would do if they were hanging out in person, talking cars. Rennlist is just a meeting place. people are going to bitch and make false claims. John D. has tried to help, but people get emotional and say more negative stuff than they should, understanding that keeps perspective on things.

Greg
Old 03-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by David Ray

If the point of this BS was to insult me, you've succeeded!
As I told you before, I glad someone was able to post about a satisfactory AMW experience. So far you seem to be the only one! " Word of mouth" is where most reputations come from but it should be based in fact, I have photo's and other documentation to back up every last allegation I've made. If John's work can't stand up to public scrutiny he should not be in business.
John and I would both be better off if he had chosen to honor his commitment (again, there's a paper trail) instead of going off to hide and insulting most of the board. I would have prefered he chose the high road, I would have ammended my opinion of him to "a man of his word, if given enough time and pressure" instead of "BS artist and thief."
Old 03-04-2004, 09:35 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by David Ray
I don’t get very many quality answers and none from quality Porsche mechs.,
Are you kidding? Time to remove your head from your nether-regions, my friend.

Aside from the chatter on this forum, there is a wealth of Porsche tech as a resource - several quality shops frequent the board, and a LOT of FREE tech is given (that is stuff you would PAY for in the real world).

If you want to cut yourself off from good tech info, your quote above is a great way to do it.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't this thread just die. You have all made your points now just leave it alone. Its like a bunch of old ladys on here bitching about the way things should have been (be). What is done is done, the list is what it is, and we are who we are. Whats the point anymore?
As for the list.. we have the good with the bad. You can like it or not but there is no changing it. Where else can you go from an in depth discussion on stand alone engine management to looking at Campeck's notebook drawings of his dad's 944? I love this place. It just feels like home.

Now keep bitching if it makes you feel better. Bitch about each other or about John or even about your cars. Like a bunch of fishwives

Quick Reply: Just a few words before I go...