Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help icat build the ultimate garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:50 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help icat build the ultimate garage

I was once asked in a corporate meeting to go to the board and write down what my dreams were. The rest of the losers.. I mean fellow employees, all wrote down they wanted to be rich, have expensive cars, or travel around the world. I wrote down that I wanted a garage. When I was asked to elaborate I pointed out that a garage is attached to a house (I was living in an apartment at the time) and would provide me with everything the others wanted. I'd need money to buy a house (riches), and I'd want a nice car to put in the garage (my 951), and I'd get to travel all over the world (Rennlist). It seemed I had the most unique answer to the question - but unfortunetly there were no prizes. Still with a bit of hard work, some luck in the stock market, and a determination to acheive this simple goal, I found myself some five years ago with a new home with a two car garage.

Now, as any self respecting Rennlister will tell you - a two car garage isn't big enough. So Joyce and I decided to look for a new home for Code Red (yeah, I know - I'm dreaming - it's really a new house for Joyce, but work with me fellas - it is my dream ya know). Throwing caution to the wind (sparked by super low interest rates) we signed a contract on a new garage this past week. The garage comes with the standard equipment - 4 bedrooms, living room, nice kitchen, great study, and THREE bays. Life is good. Now the bay situation is somewhat unique. They call it a tandem setup where there are two doors leading in, but one bay is double deep. Should work out nice.

So the question is - what makes an ultimate garage? What would you put in your garage? And no, you can't store your car in mine! Oh, by the way - it looks like I'm going to be broke for the next 30 years - so send your loose pocket change to the "HIBUG" fund (Help Icat Build the Ultimate Garage).
Old 02-24-2004, 04:54 PM
kinda5150
Racer

i would much rather have a detached "workshop", so that i may perform surgery and the such. a garage is like a bedroom for the car, the work needs to be done elsewhere.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you need to get a lathe, bridgeport, RollIn band saw and surface grinder. After that you can look for an EDM and a CNC turning station.

What do you guys do without a machine shop? I couldn't function in my every day life without one on hand.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:00 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out this site: http://www.ultimategarage.com/

Well, it might be a little over the top, but it is cool to look at. I would look into a good work bench, tool storage, and good lighting.

Then I would look into adding internet access to the area you will work on your 951. I would just go with wireless on the house and make sure either a laptop or cheap pc will get the signal from the garage.

Congrats and post some pics when you are done!

Max
Old 02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
icat
Race Car

I agree on the detached garage - but when your wife first steps into the model home and tears of joy wash down her face, then you're pretty much sunk and you might as well pull the checkbook out and start writing!

A three car detached garage was high on my list - but this house is WAY cool (just don't tell Joyce I said so). Right now I'm banking so many brownie points that I can skip her next 20 birthday's with no set backs at all.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One word..."Beerfridge"...
Old 02-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 474 Posts

You need a Lift......!!!! and a tiled floor!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:13 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, you are dead on with that one. That would be priority number one. In fact, you don't need lights. Just get the beerfridge...and stock it well!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:18 PM
icat
Race Car

Fridge is on the list. I had a buddy who had a pretty neat garage awhile back. He had a fridge that he painted pink, drew a huge pigs face on it - then mounted beer taps right in the snout!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:21 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fty
You need a Lift......!!!! and a tiled floor!
I second the above. And a rugged couch facing at least a 42" LCD TV with all the bells and whistles. Lots of shelves and cabinets to store and organize tools and parts. Lots of lighting, fifty five gallon used oil dispenser, parts washer(nu-kleen?) and a full library of tech manuals Now get to work!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

beer and me.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go Keith!

Where is this new place? You still going to be out there half-way to San Antonio?
Old 02-24-2004, 05:37 PM
944 Hooligan
Racer

the first thing i would buy? a lift. no questions about it.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
icat
Race Car

Yeah - Still out in Katy. House is in Seven Meadows. It's a bit south of my current garage, about 7 miles south of I-10 off Grand Parkway. I will be closer to Yoakum though! Always had to drive right by the empty field that we will soon call home on our way out to the farm.

By the way - got a "stop that" letter from Porsche's US law firm yesterday. Seems they want to make sure that I know NOT to sell cars, parts, service or etc. on the farm for anything even remotely related to Porsches. I wanted a nice spanish sounding name for the future equestrian farm and I thought Carerra Farms had a nice ring to it - you know, Spanish for racing and all. Since we we're looking to raise some thoughbred stock - shoot maybe now I'll raise Mustangs. Crap that won't work - then I'd have to deal with Ford too. I'm planning to frame the letter and place it in the garage!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Without a doubt a lift....Perhaps even this one as you can move it out of the way when not needed....

Then I would want to have a central air compressor with line fiitings throughout the garage, epoxy flooring so it does not stain, a floor drain to dump oil, a wash basin to clean parts... I could go on and on.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Help icat build the ultimate garage