Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Moving to Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Moving to Chicago?

Well it appears there is about a 95% chance that I will be moving to our home office in Chicago. It is a great promotion and a very good raise.

The office is in Bloomingdale for those familiar with the area. I just have some questions.

If I dont mind driving say 45 mins (early in the morning like pre 0700) got any recommendations on where to look for housing? Any prominent new home builders?

Do you guys do the GTG thing very often in that area? I know we are pretty active in the Houston area and I would like to stay active with other RLers.

Thanks for the OT WOB.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:16 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help with the housing. I know that some of the northern suburbs, near Schamburg, are a lot more expensive than where I'm at, in the southwest suburbs.

GTG's arne't *too* frequent, because there's just not that many of us and we're spread out a decent distance. Doesn't mean it can't change though. Damian (Lead Foot 944) is trying to get something together for late April, and we could always get a caravan to 944fest if anyone else is going. There was a small GTG at Michelle JD's last summer, she lives near Starved Rock, pretty much the only place in this half of Illinois with any kind of geological features.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Matt, allow me to greet you properly from Wisconsin:

Wisconsin: Illinois largest state park.

Due to this, you will now have a couple of nicknames:

Flatlander
F.I.B = F*cking Illinois Bastard
F.I.S.H. = F*cking Illinois Sh*thead
F.I.B. - T.A.B. = F*cking Illinois Bastard Towing a Boat.

Not to mention 2 hours from Road America, life cannot get any better.

Get used to the phrase "Goin up Nort" (going up north) as most of you have places up here, north of Chicago.

Door county is a favorite Chicagoite play land. On any given summer Friday afternoon, all the license plates going south (out of door county) are Wisconsin. Every plate going north is from, you guessed it Illinois. We are trying to get the hell away from the F.I.B.'s.

You need to become familiar with a few food terms:

Brat - a.k.a. Bratwurst. If your at a function and refer to one as a Hot Dog, duck, there is a PBR flying at your head.

Cheese Curds - Yes, they do squeak when you eat them

"Go get some beer" if you come back with a 6-pack, you will be beaten. This means a case, 24. Unless you bring some really good import beer, such as Hacker-Pschorr.

Some people actually do drink Blatz, SliTz, and Kingsbury beer.

Culture: A "Youper" is a nationality, not a nick name.

Welcome to the area!

This was meant as a joke, although it is mostly true.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Thats overwhelming! It seems I will be out of place!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of Rennlist action in southern Ohio if you don't mind a 6 hour drive.
The 944 Fest springs to mind.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:02 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Dallas to Chicago? (some joking involved, but not much) - Will your increase in $ keep you warm?

Are you concerned about the fact that rust starts .5 seconds after salting starts on the roads?

Do you like it when everyone you meet is a complete a$$wipe? COmpletely uninterested in even smiling when they are happy?

Oh, and 100 degree summer day and 99% humidity? You can 't even breathe?

Anyway. Born and raised in Arlington Heights, IL, 60004. I now live in the wonderland I call San Diego, CA for a myriad of solid reasons.

There are a REAL good group of prosche guys that meet for Beer thursdays in various places in the suburbs or downtownish. They reside on the 944 email list. The main group organizer is LEE - tell him Brendan said hi.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:09 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally posted by BrendanCampion

Do you like it when everyone you meet is a complete a$$wipe? COmpletely uninterested in even smiling when they are happy?
That is why Wisconsin is only an hour away! People from Chicago are always welcome up here (as long as you bring your credit card)

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
Oh, and 100 degree summer day and 99% humidity? You can 't even breathe?
Don't worry about it. Most July weekends you'll be at Elkhart Lake enjoying a Brat and Cheese Curds while watching some of the best road racing in america!

There are 3 seasons up here:
Winter
Fall
4th of July

Brendan - you know I'm 100% jealous you live out there, don't yea? But I could probably not handle the rat race of the larger cities.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Lets not forget the other Beer night organizer, the esteemable Mr. Oliver Pinkpank!

Great group of guys up there, Matt. Too bad the weather sucks... lol

Regards,
Old 02-20-2004, 01:38 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

As a transplanted Southerner, I LOVE living in the midwest. I've absolutely fallen in love with seasons! Yes, Virginia (and FL, GA, NC,etc.) there are Four, count'em, FOUR different seasons. FL has almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas. Blech! So, welcome to the midwest; it's nice to have you here And yes, a raise will make it all the better

As for housing:
If you live in or near the city the costs will eat you alive. If you drive in, the traffic will eat you alive. Your best bet is to ride Metra (train). I'm assuming your office is in the loop. Take some time to look around a bit before you buy. I work out in the far west 'burbs; the train ride in is roughly an hour. Many folks (yes, I said "folks" ) out here work in the loop. The difference between a 45 min ride and one hour ride are HUGE when it comes to housing costs. I work with people that live in Naperville and live in $300K homes that would cost a little over $200K in Batavia, Elgin, or Aurora (although the crime in Aurora is bad near the city (job security for a Public Defender!). If you're intersted in chatting, send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

Again, it'll be great having you here in the frozen tundra!

Michelle
Old 02-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 944pete
Lots of Rennlist action in southern Ohio if you don't mind a 6 hour drive.
The 944 Fest springs to mind.
Thats what I do!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Thanks guys.

I know it is cold, I have been going there on and off for about a year (even cold as hell in early Feb last I was there). It might beat 100 degree summers though, never had the opportunity to try it.

I should know for sure by Monday of next week, maybe even today depending on a few factors (like salary negotiation).

Even my wife is excited, which I didnt see coming, I hope it works out as much as I would hate to leave my greaseslinger buddies behind!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt H-

My family lives in the Northern suburbs and I grew up in that area. I do not know what level of accomodation you are used to, but nothern suburbs are expensive, at least some of them.

As for GTG, there is a bi monthly beer night that Scott mentioned. Those are a lot of fun and I try to attend whenever I am visiting.

Enjoy your move.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it is cold, I have been going there on and off for about a year (even cold as hell in early Feb last I was there). It might beat 100 degree summers though, never had the opportunity to try it.
It can be 40 with freezing rain in early June if the weather is bad enough, or it could be like last year and in the 50's at the end of November. Chicago weather really follows no logical pattern. It is funny though that in fall, 45-50 seems cold and bad weather, but now it's gorgeous if it's 50.

Since you're willing to drive 45 min., that leaves jsut about any of the suburbs open. A lot of the suburbs can be overwhelmingly expensive (like Napeville), but still could have good, affordable homes in them. Would you mind giving a pricerange, and what size you hope to get? That would help others with recommendations.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm one of the ones left behind.

We'll be sad to lose Matt, but we're all supporting his (pending) promotion. Way to go Matt!

I've already threatened to refer to him as our Greaseslinger-in-exile.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Matt H
Race Director

ilove - We have never bought a house before, I would like to get at least 1750 sq feet (our rental is only 1200). As far as price, I need to spend less than 200K I am thinking. I have some friends near Naperville and I like that area, just dont know if I can afford it out there.

Quick Reply: OT: Moving to Chicago?